T Nation

CrossFit: The Article

“CrossFit sucks!”

“CrossFit is awesome. Glassman is a god!”

Blah, blah, blah. Internet penis waving, armchair arguing, forum pontification…

Wanna figure something out? See if it’s any good? Get out of your mom’s basement and go do it.

I’m at a hotel in Dallas getting ready for bed. My appointment at a CrossFit facility is at 7AM sharp. Tomorrow evening I have another appointment at another CrossFit facility. An article will follow.

You may now return to keyboard warrioring.

Mr. Shugart, thank you very much. All your time with articles, training, advice ect…Going through your “Hammer” works have given me so much drive and enjoyment. Thanks so much for what you give us all, I’ll be looking for your next article.
Eric D.

Oh this is good!

Shugs… I am sure you will kill it tomorrow.

I look forward to the article.

Cool, man. Can’t wait to hear your unbiased (!!!) review :slight_smile:

Wow, this could indeed be a bigger thing than the whole election. Bring it on - that’s an article I’m going to read for sure.

Makkun

Holy shit, he’s alive!

Many of us have formed our opinions after doing CrossFit training. You’re not the first person on the site to do CrossFit. So knock off the superior tone and presumptuousness.

As someone who has done many CF workouts, I can tell you that you will have a killer workout and your pulse will go through the roof. You might feel faint or throw up. It’s a fantastic workout. That is not even debatable.

The question is whether it’s good for long-term muscle mass gains, joint healths, etc. (It’s not.)

If you want a fantastic overall “workout,” though, it’s hard to beat.

Greg Everett, a former CF affiliate and currently a Oly weightlifting coach gives an interview here that I thought was a decent view on CrossFit and the current state of CrossFit today.

http://www.cathletics.com/wod/index.php?show=wod&dailyID=614

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
“CrossFit sucks!”

“CrossFit is awesome. Glasman is a god!”

Wanna figure something out? See if it’s any good? Get out of your mom’s basement and go do it.

I’m at a hotel in Dallas getting ready for bed. My appointment at a CrossFit facility is at 7AM sharp. Tomorrow evening I have another appointment at another CrossFit facility. An article will follow.

[/quote]

Who are you going to? That will (unfortunately) determine what type of experience you will get.

This should be an interesting article.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
So knock off the superior tone and presumptuousness.

[/quote]

Oh, the utter irony of this statement coming from you, CL.

Awww Shit the 100lb Gorilla will do a write up of if this is good for 280lb bodybuilders.

I’m sticking with Crossfit is ghey.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
“CrossFit sucks!”

[/quote]
Surely some form of exercise compared to none is a good thing…?

I would find it hard to criticize this system when comparing it to the option of being sedentary. Whether it can help an elite athlete build more muscle and strength or better performance is another question all together.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Chris Shugart wrote:
“CrossFit sucks!”

Surely some form of exercise compared to none is a good thing…?

I would find it hard to criticize this system when comparing it to the option of being sedentary. Whether it can help an elite athlete build more muscle and strength or better performance is another question all together.[/quote]

Good point, I have friends who ask me if (insert workout) is any good or not. If its going to be the only workout they do, they will almost always say yes.

But. It’s. Not. To. Help. Elite. Athletes. Build. More. Strength.
Crossfit is GPP. Sometimes, GPP is what people (athletes included) need. Sometimes not.
There have been a lot of discussions here lately, and they’re always comparing apples and oranges.

Crossfit doesn’t pretend to be anything beyond a challenging, fun way to improve work capacity. It’s tough, it’s a sport. I do Crossfit, my coaches do Crossfit, and so do many of our clients. Our clients who are competitive athletes, generally, do not. Preparing for an upcoming PL meet, I’m not doing it. When the meet is over, I’ll return to Crossfit.

This ain’t the Geneva convention, but can we agree on 2 rules when discussing Crossfit, please:

1. don’t try to apply it to bodybuilding or sport-specific training;

2. don’t call it ‘ghey’ unless you’ve done it. Crossfit, unlike a lot of bodybuilding programs, will EARN your respect.
    Josh, you’re a smart guy. I was disappointed to see your post.

Why is there no room for both crossfit and non? I have never done it myself but I just cannot see why there is no acceptance?
There has to be something that a BB can take from crossfit and there is plenty a crossfitter can take from a body builder. If we turn a blind eye to other ideas, thoughts or suggestions we stop learning.
I for one will give about anything reasonable a shot to reach my goals.

reaches for flamesuit

I guess my problem with crossfit would be when they take all the barbells from the squat rack and power racks so that 6 of them can practice their snatch with no added weight. Oh and also when they huddle around the pull up bars to do their kip pull ups, essentially taking up space so no one can use the cables.

I’ve done it a few times, it is not easy, but it isn’t what will bring me to my current goals, so I don’t do it, but its not the devil, and it isn’t going to be the end of bodybuilding.

I’ve used CrossFit workouts as a “fun” day for my track athletes I have coached in the past, it has a place.

I will say that because of the space it requires for their workouts, it is definitely a good thing when they have their own spaces or places of operation though.