T Nation

Crossfit Template for Super Spartan Race

Let's face it : since I discover training with weights, I never find anything better than Jim's program (and templates). I'm starting cycle 8 next week and still didn't had to reset to 90 % again yet, making PR's and stuff. I felle wicked strong. Used 4 days a week, basic prog. first, then introduced some extra sets with ladder down, fist set last and even jokers by time to time, etc.

But here it his : now I want to to train for a super spartan (like 8 miles or 12+ km obstacle race). I'm already doing some sprint conditioning on the middle of the week by playing ultimate frisbee. I tough about doing some jump rope during lunch time, with some core and abs work, and neural charge (some plyo push-up, jumps etc.) I also tough about going for a long slow run on sunday, cause I have to go for the distance to make my knees and other articulations ready for a long run. Abviously, I DON'T want to quit weight training, and I DON'T want to quit 5-3-1, has it was a revelation to me.

So what would you guys recommand ? Bodyweight template ? basic only ? drop to 3 days a week template ? or even 2 ? had the clean movement (you know, it's kinda cross fit used... - and not a bad thing for football too) in lower body training ? Crossfit template ? What exercices would you use then ? So much options... I'll probably use heavy bag as conditionning during those, cause I can't train outside and inside at the same time (home gym, and it's canadian winter here). ok, thanks for your comments !!

I did a spartan race in california. Make sure you can run like a mile and a half straight. The obstacles will bottleneck and you’ll be waiting to do them. I was doing 531 during it and didnt really change templates. This was back when only the first original book was available. I did the bodyweight template with pullups twice a week. I only did abs on squat and deadlift day no other assistance work. I ran 3 miles once a week and did sprints twice a week with varying distances. If you can find monkey bars then practice on them a lot

You should just be able to show up and compete without any prior preparation. They are designed that way, so 40 y/o house wives can do them. Don’t change your training. Extra conditioning is not necessary, but make sure you can run that 8 miles. One 30-60 min LSD run a week should be good.

I’m doing the same-my brother talked me into a tough mudder next oct in st Louis.

I’m doing the advanced 5/3/1-I saw a template that showed bench/press two days a week and deadlift/press one day a week. I’m doing that-and the other three days I’m playing full court basketball. It may not be the best for cardio, but I love it and work up a good sweat. I’ve talked to a few who have done it and it’s not so much the running but the obstacles They recommended focusing on pullups and chin-ups-you have to get yourself over obstacles and the monkey bars are a killer. So when I lift, I will be adding a set of pullups in between each set.

My daughter has started the insanity workout after school for track, and I’m going to do that as well.

Well Im not a pro but did many spartans…

Yes 40 years old housewifes can complete the sprint or a super…
But not the “spartan beast”, especially the one in Vermont last september.
The point or the questions is…you doing it for fun, just to finnish or you are doing it to compete in the elite wave??

First quality to compete is endurance…running uphill, not just sprint!!
Then bodyweight movement, pushups, pullups,lots of grip work, burpees(yes even if Jim hate burpees)…
One leg movement, carry stuff…core/abs work…run, fartlek, trailrunning…

Build a plan around this…!

JTK : thanks that’s exactly the kind of answer I was waiting for.

DAVE 101 : (and JTK) I just want to clarify a thing : I’m NOT doing the Spartan SPRINT, I’m gonna do the super spartan, and even maybe the Spartan BEAST, wich is a half marathon, with obstacles, up and down a montain. I don’t thing your grandma could do it, and I doubt every T-Nation ready could too… you’re right, if I just do the 8 miles (super), I guess I could do it right away but a 60 min. of slow run could be a good guess, has I was planing to.

Sticardsfan : Cool, I’ve been doing a lot of bodyweight pull lately, like 8 reps in between each of my 5-3-1 Press sets (warm up, work set and extra ladder down sets, BBB or rest-pause sets), so that’s like 10 to 12 X 8 reps = close a 100’s a week. Guess I’ll keep that in, with some one hand hang switching maybe.
I’m always re-reading Jim’s stuff (books, T-Nat art.), and I stumble on his most simple template, for conditioning. Maybe, I’ll try this template… I still gave me 2 or maybe 3 cycles of strenght, has i’m still able to get those weights up. Guess 3 cycles in Spring will be enuough to put the extra effort on conditionning !

thanks everyone ! That was my first started forum, and it’s pretty cool to have you guys answers

Oh - I’m not an early bird, but I’ll try to have a place in the firsts waves, so I won’t be waiting too long for the obstacles. Happened to me last year (I did a Spartan Sprint after two days of partying at Rockfest and had a good score, but had to wait in line yes for obstacles…)
Tough mudder looks pretty cool too - maybe next year.

Rampage, I would like to try the Beast, but not for competing. Why buerpees ? I don’t plan on failing an obstacle ! ahahahahah what’s fartlek ? I’ll google that and see. grip work? specific or pulls are ok ? Maybe I’ll practice suitcase deadlift…

Fartlek, kind of intervalls …but google it!!
Burpees…yes you will failed the spear throw…tyrolean maybe…
And yes burpees is good for conditioning , need no spaces and no equipements!!

Any grip, rope climbing, towell pullups, some obstacle required a good grip!! Farmer walks etc will help…

[quote]Phil Rich wrote:
Let’s face it : since I discover training with weights, I never find anything better than Jim’s program (and templates). I’m starting cycle 8 next week and still didn’t had to reset to 90 % again yet, making PR’s and stuff. I felle wicked strong. Used 4 days a week, basic prog. first, then introduced some extra sets with ladder down, fist set last and even jokers by time to time, etc.

But here it his : now I want to to train for a super spartan (like 8 miles or 12+ km obstacle race). I’m already doing some sprint conditioning on the middle of the week by playing ultimate frisbee. I tough about doing some jump rope during lunch time, with some core and abs work, and neural charge (some plyo push-up, jumps etc.) I also tough about going for a long slow run on sunday, cause I have to go for the distance to make my knees and other articulations ready for a long run. Abviously, I DON’T want to quit weight training, and I DON’T want to quit 5-3-1, has it was a revelation to me.

So what would you guys recommand ? Bodyweight template ? basic only ? drop to 3 days a week template ? or even 2 ? had the clean movement (you know, it’s kinda cross fit used… - and not a bad thing for football too) in lower body training ? Crossfit template ? What exercices would you use then ? So much options… I’ll probably use heavy bag as conditionning during those, cause I can’t train outside and inside at the same time (home gym, and it’s canadian winter here). ok, thanks for your comments !! [/quote]

Just follow the NOV or the Train Like a MF plan. I would use the same exercises I always recommend - not sure how that changes. Lifting for sport is GPP.

I think your big problem is that you purposely limit your conditioning - this can be easily remedied by making some sacrifices. Find a way to do some “skill work”. Also, do mental prep work by walking the course several times, mapping out a plan and doing segments.

I really wouldn’t worry. I did tough mudder this year (12 miles) with no prep other than a couple of 2 mile runs a fortnight before. My cardio levels suck & I was smoking twenty a day. I was terrified when I got there that I’d fail & regretted not training for it. But managed to finish the course in 2hr 22. Majority of people there finished in 2hr45. It’s difficult, but nowhere near as difficult as you believe it will be before you start.
Hill sprints/prowler/etc will do you fine.

Just follow the NOV or the Train Like a MF plan. I would use the same exercises I always recommend - not sure how that changes. Lifting for sport is GPP.

I think your big problem is that you purposely limit your conditioning - this can be easily remedied by making some sacrifices.

thanks Jim. it’s true I’ve been limiting my conditioning, by adding those extra FSL, pyramid and/or joker sets, instead of doing my hill sprints. The Funny thing is that when I’ve first start 5-3-1 (8 months ago), I did the NOV template for the first 4 or 5… guess I’ll guet back to that.

While I’ve been searching for the MF plan, I came across your simplest program here on T, talking about making a choice of priority. An other good option there. But could’nt find the “MF” template… military force ? where’s that one? I,ve been reading again 2nd edition of your book and could find it. Would you please mind to give me some light about where to find that template ? thanks.

Skill work : good idea. Maybe some 1 hand-hang from the monkey bar… I’ll skip training for throwing the javelin in my home gym though.

thanks every one for your replys too,

Now for some people who are famous in some field such as the stars when they go out with their friends or other people. They are often being taken photos secretly by some journalists and they will only realize it until they see it on the newspaper or on the TV. Yes for the stars sometimes they do not mind so, as it is also a way to raise the popularity of them, but sometimes they also mind.

However for most people as the normal working people and so on, for them being taken photos by the journalists or recorded down the things that they have said is not their willing and may even have band effect on their life. But if they are trapped in such condition now they can pick up the jammer auto to help them.

[quote]Rampage74 wrote:
Fartlek, kind of intervalls …but google it!!
Burpees…yes you will failed the spear throw…tyrolean maybe…
And yes burpees is good for conditioning , need no spaces and no equipements!!

Any grip, rope climbing, towell pullups, some obstacle required a good grip!! Farmer walks etc will help…
[/quote]

Ok I’ve tried to do a 100’s burpees in 1 of my warm-up (used to do like 10-15, with other stuff like jumping jacks of all kinds, some foam rolling and mobility work like agile 8, etc.) and it’s shure is exhausting ! I thik if you miss an obstacle you have to do 30 of them, so I might include a set of 30 in between my assistance/auxiliary sets during my whole training…

've read about fartlek (funny name if you ask me, swedich or not) and yes, done alone it’s pretty much like intervals, but in a not flat environement. As soon as spring will be knoking, I’ll do that. For now burpees and stair sprint wiht ultimate frisbee once a week is ok

Grip work : I’ve put back a towell for my pulls when I’m not adding a weight vest for shorter rep range; I do some 1H hang too. and when I feel great for some extra training I ad farmer walks as a finisher, but that’s like 1 of 3 WO.

Any clue what is MF plan Jim’s talking about?
and what the stars Betty is talking about? :wink:

thanks !

I spent last year trying to unfuck my running.

What I did was use intervals with a focus on speed and good form.

I used a 400m track, and I ran as far as I could with good form, then walked the remainder of the lap back to the start line. I generally did 5 laps. After awhile I could run a full 400m, take a 1min break, then ran another 400m…repeat for 5 laps. Then I graduated to 800m, 1200m, 1600m, then 200m. I never did more than 5 laps and I always stopped if it slowed down too much and/or my form broke down.

After a couple of months of this I ran a sub 1 hour 10k (59:26). Not exactly elite running but still a decent time for an overweight 35 year old that doesn’t really care about running.

I did all this while doing 4 day/week Boring But Big.

Anyway, my point is that I don’t think it’s really required to train too crazy or specialize too much for a 1 time race. I ran a better 10k time using 2k training sessions than I did when regularly running 10k, and the 2k training sessions required very little recovery and therefore could be repeated more often with less interference with other forms of training.