Crossfit Powerlifting Certification

Can’t find any links to the video…the website expired last month. The commercial was running back in 2006-2007 and it was basically a flimsier reverse hyper marketed as a total fitness product.

Nevermind, web archive had it.

[quote]hachi wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
theuofh wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
theuofh wrote:from what small material I’ve seen by Louie Simmons or about him, he doesn’t seem like the type of guy to sell out to anything.

ha.

ha.

ha.

I’m just saying he’s got a bunch of patents on a bunch of equipment that isn’t marketed really well. For creating some of the strongest athletes in the world, powerlifting as a sport doesn’t bring in whole lot of money, with television or advertising or sponsorship by big money, mainstream companies. Its a little niche, and even poker gets more television coverage.

How many powerlifters do you know that get paid enough to do nothing but lift and compete?

I think if he was in it for the money, maybe more attention and energy would have been devoted to some of those things. From all the material I’ve seen is that he pretty much lifts and coaches and if he was interested in being a millionaire, I may have gotten a different impression.

I’m not biting his nuts or anything, but it seems he does what he likes and as long as he is supporting himself and his gym, than everything is alright. I don’t know the guy but thats the impression I’ve developed.

I also don’t see why making some money coaching is selling out, no matter who the audience is.

You just don’t know too much about Louie, that’s all. His articles are a vehicle for marketing his equipment and video line. Not that he’s sold out, but the man makes roughly 400 times what anyone else in powerlifting makes in a given year.

He also had an infomercial for the reverse hyper, called it the CorEvolution. Wore a sweater and got all cornball in the commercial too, haha.

I’m gonna need a link to this CorEvolution infomercial. ASAP [/quote]

It’s fucking FUNNY. But I think Louie withdrew his name from that commercial, since when it comes on at like 4 in the morning he is not in the video anymore. I heard it had something to do with him figuring out the guy was a scumball. Dunno, don’t care. The sight of Louie in a sweater was almost too much…I about had a hernia from laughter.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
StrengthDawg wrote:
Maybe (I hope so anyways) he’s just trying to broaden the powerlifting audience. Most folks associate “powerlifters” with 300lb fat guys who just sit around and eat whoppers all day and haphazardly throw weights around so if he can inject a dose of reality and show how diligent most serious powerlifters are it’ll be good PR for the sport,I’ll have to check that site out when I get off work.

I don’t know…I like my powerlifting just as it is.

I really don’t understand why everyone is looking for ways to gain respect form the general public.

I kind of agree. I like being a fringe lunatic in regards to “fitness” stuff. But on the other hand, a larger pool of people interested in it means more sponsorship opportunities and bigger prize money. That is good for the sport because the more talent you can bring in the better everyone becomes and the more easily you can find the funding to cut costs and such.

daraz- lol did it sound like it wasn’t? lol[/quote]

Just pointing out how crappy an opinion that was.

[quote]daraz wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
StrengthDawg wrote:
Maybe (I hope so anyways) he’s just trying to broaden the powerlifting audience. Most folks associate “powerlifters” with 300lb fat guys who just sit around and eat whoppers all day and haphazardly throw weights around so if he can inject a dose of reality and show how diligent most serious powerlifters are it’ll be good PR for the sport,I’ll have to check that site out when I get off work.

I don’t know…I like my powerlifting just as it is.

I really don’t understand why everyone is looking for ways to gain respect form the general public.

I kind of agree. I like being a fringe lunatic in regards to “fitness” stuff. But on the other hand, a larger pool of people interested in it means more sponsorship opportunities and bigger prize money. That is good for the sport because the more talent you can bring in the better everyone becomes and the more easily you can find the funding to cut costs and such.

daraz- lol did it sound like it wasn’t? lol

Just pointing out how crappy an opinion that was.[/quote]

No, it makes perfect sense. I would rather powerlifting stay underground than be scrutinized the same way that baseball is for example. Multiply powerlifting is definitely a fringe sport and I could see the mainstream sports media doing serious damage to it if they decided they didnt’t like it.

So, in short. Your opinion sucks. Stop posting and go back to your math homework.

Again this goes back to Louie wanting to make a few more bucks for himself, all the power to him.However, he is not going to find the next PL phenom through this course. No what he is going to get, is board short wearing, shirtless yahoos, sweating out to “100 Dynamic deadlifts with bands for time”. This will not bring PL into the mainstream because CF is still underground itself and will probably stay there for years to come.

On the topic of Mark Rippetoe (the other CF barbell guru)as of Jan.1 he will no longer be conducting CF’s “Basic Barbell Cert”. It will now become “Starting Strength Cert” (no longer affiliated with CF), which according to him will be an intensive 3 day course, more thorough than the basic barbell. From what I gather, in my opinion and from what I have read, I don’t think he is too jacked anymore about the direction CF is moving.I believe this is also why CF jumped at the chance to recruit Louie because they lost there “expert” on barbell training.

[quote]sdt36 wrote:
CF is still underground itself and will probably stay there for years to come.
[/quote]

What rock have you been hiding under?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
sdt36 wrote:

What rock have you been hiding under?[/quote]

What, you think CF is mainstream? Dude, I meet so many people (that workout regularly) that still have no clue what CF is - some have “heard” about it, but plenty still have no effin clue. Maybe down in CA its beside every Starbucks, but certainly not where I’ve been…anyway…different perspective.
I have nothing against CF per se, they really have done some good stuff. It’s what some of the posters have been saying, some friggin dipshit with absolutely zip powerlifting experience other than the 2 days with Louie, and then spew and spin more crazy-ass high rep, BP w/bands & chains , with kipping pullups with a 400 meter run, finish with GHR / Box Squat / Box Jump tri-set. Oooops, did I just create the next WOD? Sell a bunch of monolifts to these retards Louie, make your money while you can bud!

No, it makes perfect sense. I would rather powerlifting stay underground than be scrutinized the same way that baseball is for example. Multiply powerlifting is definitely a fringe sport and I could see the mainstream sports media doing serious damage to it if they decided they didnt’t like it.

Yes. I want powerlifting to be a mysterious sport that the weak minded are afraid of, that way there will never be a powerlifting craze like the UFC craze, I would go postal if there were a bunch of affliction t-shirt wearing kids doing shitty bench presses and calling themselves powerlifters

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
sdt36 wrote:

What rock have you been hiding under?[/quote]

No rock kool aid boy. I pick em up and load em’ on platforms and have been pushin/pullin/squatin/cleanin/jerkin and santchin barbells a hell of alot longer then u have sunshine.

[quote]spocat wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
sdt36 wrote:

What, you think CF is mainstream? Dude, I meet so many people (that workout regularly) that still have no clue what CF is - some have “heard” about it, but plenty still have no effin clue. Maybe down in CA its beside every Starbucks, but certainly not where I’ve been…anyway…different perspective.
I have nothing against CF per se, they really have done some good stuff. It’s what some of the posters have been saying, some friggin dipshit with absolutely zip powerlifting experience other than the 2 days with Louie, and then spew and spin more crazy-ass high rep, BP w/bands & chains , with kipping pullups with a 400 meter run, finish with GHR / Box Squat / Box Jump tri-set. Oooops, did I just create the next WOD? Sell a bunch of monolifts to these retards Louie, make your money while you can bud![/quote]

LOL…I just might apply that metcon to my next CF class!!

[quote]sdt36 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
sdt36 wrote:

No rock kool aid boy. I pick em up and load em’ on platforms and have been pushin/pullin/squatin/cleanin/jerkin and santchin barbells a hell of alot longer then u have sunshine.
[/quote]

I couldn’t give two fucks about how much longer you’ve been ‘pushin/pullin/being gay…’ than I have, twat.

And yeah, I’m totally a ‘kool aid boy.’

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
sdt36 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
sdt36 wrote:

I couldn’t give two fucks about how much longer you’ve been ‘pushin/pullin/being gay…’ than I have, twat.

And yeah, I’m totally a ‘kool aid boy.’[/quote]

GAY? TWAT? Yes I like twat vey much!

[quote]sdt36 wrote:
I think the biggest concern is the lack of real training knowledge “some” CFers bring to the table. I say this because I am an affiliate, who became one 4yrs ago. I became an affiliate because at the time I liked the concept of “general fitness” that CF had brought to the table and for first time an organization that promoted the o-lifts (my background). I have an established gym (12 yrs) and bringing CF in was and is just a “part” of my program and not the mantra. However, during this time I have witnessed the utter misuse of the o-lifts for “improved work capacity” that I can barely stand watching another high rep snatch with terrible technique. And don’t tell me there isn’t a chance of injury, on the contrary, CF never likes to talk about the high incidence of injury. U want to #$%& your shoulders up keep doing high rep snatches.

I will say there are affiliates that “know” what there doing, but due to the viral like popularity of CF, it’s ($3000) sign up fees (2 day lev.1 cert and affiliation fee) voila your a CF trainer. Every Tom,Dick and harry is getting involved with minimal if any fitness background, just check out there daily WODS, some are frikkin shocking. Even the 2 day oly-lift course put on by Mike Burgener ($600) certifies them as o-lift coaches. Trust me 2 days is not nearly enough for a newbie to master o-lifting. I have been competing and coaching for nearly 10 yrs.and I am still learning. One thing I do know O-LIFTING IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY, regardless if it imporoves “work capacity” or not, injury is something I am not interested in,so I will not force it on people. As a matter of fact I don’t teach o-lifts to my CF classes, I save that for athletes and my competetive weightlifters.

My concern is that these 2 day courses that Louie puts on will be misused by some CFers who find some way to create some outrageous high rep metcon out of his program. And I guarantee some “douche bag” will!!

Earlier quote of mine regarding CFers as kool-aid drinkers is not intended for every CFer!! [/quote]

I have similar concerns as I see a lot of people wanting to be affiliate owners without having proper backgrounds or knowledge. My feeling is that as it grows they will either have to grow and get good or they will be weeded out. I think people know when they get good stuff and when they don’t.

[quote]1000rippedbuff wrote:
sdt36 wrote:
I think the biggest concern is the lack of real training knowledge “some” CFers bring to the table. I say this because I am an affiliate, who became one 4yrs ago. I became an affiliate because at the time I liked the concept of “general fitness” that CF had brought to the table and for first time an organization that promoted the o-lifts (my background). I have an established gym (12 yrs) and bringing CF in was and is just a “part” of my program and not the mantra. However, during this time I have witnessed the utter misuse of the o-lifts for “improved work capacity” that I can barely stand watching another high rep snatch with terrible technique. And don’t tell me there isn’t a chance of injury, on the contrary, CF never likes to talk about the high incidence of injury. U want to #$%& your shoulders up keep doing high rep snatches.

I will say there are affiliates that “know” what there doing, but due to the viral like popularity of CF, it’s ($3000) sign up fees (2 day lev.1 cert and affiliation fee) voila your a CF trainer. Every Tom,Dick and harry is getting involved with minimal if any fitness background, just check out there daily WODS, some are frikkin shocking. Even the 2 day oly-lift course put on by Mike Burgener ($600) certifies them as o-lift coaches. Trust me 2 days is not nearly enough for a newbie to master o-lifting. I have been competing and coaching for nearly 10 yrs.and I am still learning. One thing I do know O-LIFTING IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY, regardless if it imporoves “work capacity” or not, injury is something I am not interested in,so I will not force it on people. As a matter of fact I don’t teach o-lifts to my CF classes, I save that for athletes and my competetive weightlifters.

My concern is that these 2 day courses that Louie puts on will be misused by some CFers who find some way to create some outrageous high rep metcon out of his program. And I guarantee some “douche bag” will!!

Earlier quote of mine regarding CFers as kool-aid drinkers is not intended for every CFer!!

I have similar concerns as I see a lot of people wanting to be affiliate owners without having proper backgrounds or knowledge. My feeling is that as it grows they will either have to grow and get good or they will be weeded out. I think people know when they get good stuff and when they don’t.[/quote]

Agree, however the kinda $$$ CF is making won’t stop them for implementing stricter guidelines for becoming an affiliate. If they did that, u would see a dramatic slowdown in new affiliates siging up. I check the HQ site everyday and can’t believe the number of new affiliates added each week. That is some serious coin Glassman is bringing in. Nothing wrong with that, but that is were the global gym affect comes in, when things get to too big, things get watered down and eventually becomes ineffective or better yet quality control goes out the window.

In all fairness my CF experiance has been a love hate relationship, love most aspects of the system, hate the attitude and the culty approach. My cert experiance was terrible, as I couldn’t believe I dropped $1000 for basically getting metconed to death and taught barbell lifts with a dowel by what I thought were very inexperainced individuals who were there to get there level.2 cert.By no means am I a “strength & cond. guru”. I have been an SC coach for 12 yrs. and do teach the NCCP(govt.cert for all coaching in Canada) Level.1 course for weightlifting, so I do have some credentials amongst other related education, and of course being exposed to listening to people that have been in the “trenches” (as far as I am concerned, the real education for getting strong)for over 20 yrs.

facepalm

So much fail here

roflcopter

Just what the world needs another fucking certificate.