Crossfit Powerlifting Certification

Not sure if most u know this by now but the new powerlifting course provided by crossfit is been taught by non other than Louie Simmons at Westside Barbell. Don’t know how to link page (not a computer guy) but if u check out CF’s main page and scroll down there courses list u will see it.

I personally cannot believe this and very dissapointed that he would involve himself with these kool-aid drinkers, but I am sure it has to do with making a quick buck.

What’s everybodys opinion this? Is it a good move? or is he selling out?

Maybe (I hope so anyways) he’s just trying to broaden the powerlifting audience. Most folks associate “powerlifters” with 300lb fat guys who just sit around and eat whoppers all day and haphazardly throw weights around so if he can inject a dose of reality and show how diligent most serious powerlifters are it’ll be good PR for the sport,I’ll have to check that site out when I get off work.

www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?eventid=787286

This is interesting as Rippetoe used to be there guy for the barbell lifts, but left to start his own thing, which will hopefully end up being a certification on the something on the level of NSCA or soemthing like that for professional trainers. This also sucks as in eventually there may actually be a line to use the squat racks.

Most people ignore that fact that Crossfit is creating a pool of conditioned, GPP’d athletes w/ experience in the powerlifts and olympic lifts that may decide to quit Crossfit to specialize in one of the two sports.

Glassman is looking for a replacement for Rippetoe and Louie Simmons may see a pool of conditioned athletes that may be converted to the sport of powerlifting. I see a win/win situation, although people like to shit on Glassman for being as intelligent of a business person to make a mini-fortune in an industry some people struggle to make a living in.

I’m not sure if the population group that will register understands that the material may be more suited to a competitive powerlifter as opposed to a crossfitter or trainer of the general population.

And not that I personally know the guy, but from what small material I’ve seen by Louie Simmons or about him, he doesn’t seem like the type of guy to sell out to anything.

Simmons walks into the bank, laughing…

[quote]hatesmiles wrote:
Simmons walks into the bank, laughing…[/quote]

Wouldn’t you do the same?

Louie isnt selling out, he could be in fact brining some serious athletes into this sport, time will tell.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
hatesmiles wrote:
Simmons walks into the bank, laughing…

Wouldn’t you do the same?[/quote]

I could be all high and mighty, but probably would do just the same, take crossfitters money and go.

ha.

ha.

ha.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Maybe (I hope so anyways) he’s just trying to broaden the powerlifting audience. Most folks associate “powerlifters” with 300lb fat guys who just sit around and eat whoppers all day and haphazardly throw weights around so if he can inject a dose of reality and show how diligent most serious powerlifters are it’ll be good PR for the sport,I’ll have to check that site out when I get off work. [/quote]

I don’t know…I like my powerlifting just as it is.

I really don’t understand why everyone is looking for ways to gain respect form the general public.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
StrengthDawg wrote:
Maybe (I hope so anyways) he’s just trying to broaden the powerlifting audience. Most folks associate “powerlifters” with 300lb fat guys who just sit around and eat whoppers all day and haphazardly throw weights around so if he can inject a dose of reality and show how diligent most serious powerlifters are it’ll be good PR for the sport,I’ll have to check that site out when I get off work.

I really don’t understand why everyone is looking for ways to gain respect form the general public.[/quote]

me too

How in the fuck do you use crossfit to train for powerlifting?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
How in the fuck do you use crossfit to train for powerlifting?[/quote]

I think its more about using powerlifting lifts and principles to help build your general fitness, specifically in the strength domain.

People saying this is ‘selling out’, for a coach who has his own system, as opposed to a gimmick, this sort of thing is a chance to spread what he knows about his methods of training. Can a person who is interested in general fitness as opposed to specifically lifting heavy weights at the expense of everything else benefit from many aspects of Louie’s methods? I think so.

This sort of thing should be a GOOD THING. People spend too much time bitching about what everyone else is doing for their fitness.

He’s only selling out if he changes what his stated principles are, looking at the link it doesn’t appear to be the case. Though I find it odd that the Cross fit gang want to be taught PL, you can’t take away the fact that they have ‘the man’ (or one of THE men at least) on side.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
theuofh wrote:from what small material I’ve seen by Louie Simmons or about him, he doesn’t seem like the type of guy to sell out to anything.

ha.

ha.

ha.[/quote]

I’m just saying he’s got a bunch of patents on a bunch of equipment that isn’t marketed really well. For creating some of the strongest athletes in the world, powerlifting as a sport doesn’t bring in whole lot of money, with television or advertising or sponsorship by big money, mainstream companies. Its a little niche, and even poker gets more television coverage.

How many powerlifters do you know that get paid enough to do nothing but lift and compete?

I think if he was in it for the money, maybe more attention and energy would have been devoted to some of those things. From all the material I’ve seen is that he pretty much lifts and coaches and if he was interested in being a millionaire, I may have gotten a different impression.

I’m not biting his nuts or anything, but it seems he does what he likes and as long as he is supporting himself and his gym, than everything is alright. I don’t know the guy but thats the impression I’ve developed.

I also don’t see why making some money coaching is selling out, no matter who the audience is.

StrengthDawg wrote:

I really don’t understand why everyone is looking for ways to gain respect form the general public.[/quote]

I kind of agree. I like being a fringe lunatic in regards to “fitness” stuff. But on the other hand, a larger pool of people interested in it means more sponsorship opportunities and bigger prize money. That is good for the sport because the more talent you can bring in the better everyone becomes and the more easily you can find the funding to cut costs and such.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
theuofh wrote:from what small material I’ve seen by Louie Simmons or about him, he doesn’t seem like the type of guy to sell out to anything.

ha.

ha.

ha.

I’m just saying he’s got a bunch of patents on a bunch of equipment that isn’t marketed really well. For creating some of the strongest athletes in the world, powerlifting as a sport doesn’t bring in whole lot of money, with television or advertising or sponsorship by big money, mainstream companies. Its a little niche, and even poker gets more television coverage.

How many powerlifters do you know that get paid enough to do nothing but lift and compete?

I think if he was in it for the money, maybe more attention and energy would have been devoted to some of those things. From all the material I’ve seen is that he pretty much lifts and coaches and if he was interested in being a millionaire, I may have gotten a different impression.

I’m not biting his nuts or anything, but it seems he does what he likes and as long as he is supporting himself and his gym, than everything is alright. I don’t know the guy but thats the impression I’ve developed.

I also don’t see why making some money coaching is selling out, no matter who the audience is.
[/quote]

You just don’t know too much about Louie, that’s all. His articles are a vehicle for marketing his equipment and video line. Not that he’s sold out, but the man makes roughly 400 times what anyone else in powerlifting makes in a given year.

He also had an infomercial for the reverse hyper, called it the CorEvolution. Wore a sweater and got all cornball in the commercial too, haha.

StrengthDawg wrote:

Lol is that serious?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
StrengthDawg wrote:

I really don’t understand why everyone is looking for ways to gain respect form the general public.

I kind of agree. I like being a fringe lunatic in regards to “fitness” stuff. But on the other hand, a larger pool of people interested in it means more sponsorship opportunities and bigger prize money. That is good for the sport because the more talent you can bring in the better everyone becomes and the more easily you can find the funding to cut costs and such.[/quote]

Aragorn- Its not that I wouldn’t like to see lifters being rewarded for their hard work with more than a couple hundred bucks(or thousand if they’re lucky) a couple times a year. And lower meet fees would be nice too.

Its this idea of changing powerlifting in some way or another, or needing to prove to everyone that we aren’t this way or that, to make it more appealing or acceptable to everyone else that I don’t like. Powerlifting isn’t the most accessible sport, but it seems to be able to win over even some of the most unlikely fans as is.

daraz- lol did it sound like it wasn’t? lol

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
theuofh wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

ha.

ha.

ha.

You just don’t know too much about Louie, that’s all. His articles are a vehicle for marketing his equipment and video line. Not that he’s sold out, but the man makes roughly 400 times what anyone else in powerlifting makes in a given year.

He also had an infomercial for the reverse hyper, called it the CorEvolution. Wore a sweater and got all cornball in the commercial too, haha.[/quote]

I’m gonna need a link to this CorEvolution infomercial. ASAP

I think the biggest concern is the lack of real training knowledge “some” CFers bring to the table. I say this because I am an affiliate, who became one 4yrs ago. I became an affiliate because at the time I liked the concept of “general fitness” that CF had brought to the table and for first time an organization that promoted the o-lifts (my background). I have an established gym (12 yrs) and bringing CF in was and is just a “part” of my program and not the mantra. However, during this time I have witnessed the utter misuse of the o-lifts for “improved work capacity” that I can barely stand watching another high rep snatch with terrible technique. And don’t tell me there isn’t a chance of injury, on the contrary, CF never likes to talk about the high incidence of injury. U want to #$%& your shoulders up keep doing high rep snatches.

I will say there are affiliates that “know” what there doing, but due to the viral like popularity of CF, it’s ($3000) sign up fees (2 day lev.1 cert and affiliation fee) voila your a CF trainer. Every Tom,Dick and harry is getting involved with minimal if any fitness background, just check out there daily WODS, some are frikkin shocking. Even the 2 day oly-lift course put on by Mike Burgener ($600) certifies them as o-lift coaches. Trust me 2 days is not nearly enough for a newbie to master o-lifting. I have been competing and coaching for nearly 10 yrs.and I am still learning. One thing I do know O-LIFTING IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY, regardless if it imporoves “work capacity” or not, injury is something I am not interested in,so I will not force it on people. As a matter of fact I don’t teach o-lifts to my CF classes, I save that for athletes and my competetive weightlifters.

My concern is that these 2 day courses that Louie puts on will be misused by some CFers who find some way to create some outrageous high rep metcon out of his program. And I guarantee some “douche bag” will!!

Earlier quote of mine regarding CFers as kool-aid drinkers is not intended for every CFer!!