CrossFit on 60 Minutes

I watched the National Pro Grid League (don’t understand the name at all) last night on NBCsports. Its basically team crossfit and saw that Baltimore had signed Dmitry Klokov. It was entertaining on a slow sports night.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I watched the National Pro Grid League (don’t understand the name at all) last night on NBCsports. Its basically team crossfit and saw that Baltimore had signed Dmitry Klokov. It was entertaining on a slow sports night. [/quote]

Isn’t there a 4 square grid on the floor that they compete in?

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
A big part of the message to girls and young women is “breast implants are required if you want to be pretty.” [/quote]

Well, yes. Of course. Goes without saying.

No one in their right mind disagrees.

:wink:
[/quote]

I know, right? It’s too bad somebody didn’t tell Audrey to get some giant implants. She could have been such a beauty.

See what we’ve become, people?

Pic is relevant because she’s also more attractive than Greg Glassman.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
bashing crossfit is like bashing powerlifting, bodybuilding - whatever criticism you have won’t apply to all.
[/quote]
So true.

And Audrey was one classy and naturally beautiful lady.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
A big part of the message to girls and young women is “breast implants are required if you want to be pretty.” [/quote]

Well, yes. Of course. Goes without saying.

No one in their right mind disagrees.

:wink:
[/quote]

I know, right? It’s too bad somebody didn’t tell Audrey to get some giant implants. She could have been such a beauty.

See what we’ve become, people?

Pic is relevant because she’s also more attractive than Greg Glassman.
[/quote]

Yeah, 'cause nothing says “strong woman” like a waif with the body of a 12 year old boy.

Yes, Audrey was a pretty woman, but she’s the polar opposite of a hot Crossfit woman. Fragile, painfully thin, no hips, no bust, and basically everything wrong with modern woman’s body ideals.

She was picked by a bunch of gay men to be held up as the modern woman’s ideal because they are afraid of women.

Give me a woman with abs and quads, please.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I watched the National Pro Grid League (don’t understand the name at all) last night on NBCsports. Its basically team crossfit and saw that Baltimore had signed Dmitry Klokov. It was entertaining on a slow sports night. [/quote]

Isn’t there a 4 square grid on the floor that they compete in?[/quote]

Actually that’s it. Had to Google it.

Can someone explain to me all the hate for Crossfit and the “I don’t care to be the best at exercising, exercising isn’t a sport, its what you do to prepare for a sport” mentality. I mean couldn’t you literally make that same argument against powerlifting and track? Seems like an odd way of looking at things.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Can someone explain to me all the hate for Crossfit and the “I don’t care to be the best at exercising, exercising isn’t a sport, its what you do to prepare for a sport” mentality. I mean couldn’t you literally make that same argument against powerlifting and track? Seems like an odd way of looking at things. [/quote]

In fairness, a lot of folks DO feel the same about powerlifting. Even some powerlifters don’t like powerlifting, haha.

The hate is based on how good they have it.

Not that long ago, you weren’t allowed to deadlift or chalk up in most gyms. There were no bumper plates or platforms. Olympic lifts were like some kind of impossible feat. Only University Varsity weight rooms had a Glute Ham raise, or sleds/ prowlers. Even “basic” stuff like medicine balls and boxes to jump on were pretty rare. Goons like Matt Furey tried to sell you “secret” information on pushups on the internet.

Also, very few women came to the gym in those days.

Now, even the lowliest “box” is decked out. And most of the time they’re doing situps on 1 of the 3 the Glute/Hams.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Can someone explain to me all the hate for Crossfit and the “I don’t care to be the best at exercising, exercising isn’t a sport, its what you do to prepare for a sport” mentality. I mean couldn’t you literally make that same argument against powerlifting and track? Seems like an odd way of looking at things. [/quote]

In fairness, a lot of folks DO feel the same about powerlifting. Even some powerlifters don’t like powerlifting, haha.
[/quote]

I guess training by myself (although running for office has put that on halt since March) and only trying the occasional relaxed charity meet with fellow weekend warriors, I have never encountered the powerlifting apathy. And to that, how could you argue the difference in powerlifting and weightlifting or distance running whose participants are universally recognized as athletes.

I think strongman can fall under this bubble as well. Physical tasks done for against a clock or an opposing force compared to your fellow competitors.

You gotta keep in mind, you’re bringing up a lot of fringe sports. You’re a part of a community where it’s less fringe, but the majority of the public DOES consider powerlifting, strongman, Olympic lifting, etc to not be “real sports”. Crossfit gets more hate I’d say just because people actually know what the hell crossfit is. Ask someone the difference between weightlifting, powerlifting, strongman and bodybuilding and you’ll blow their minds because they didn’t know they were 4 different things.

You gotta keep in mind, you’re bringing up a lot of fringe sports. You’re a part of a community where it’s less fringe, but the majority of the public DOES consider powerlifting, strongman, Olympic lifting, etc to not be “real sports”. Crossfit gets more hate I’d say just because people actually know what the hell crossfit is. Ask someone the difference between weightlifting, powerlifting, strongman and bodybuilding and you’ll blow their minds because they didn’t know they were 4 different things.[/quote]

True but its not the everyday sports fan that espouses the most hate towards Crossfit in my experience. Those seem to be the people Crossfit feeds off of. The most virulent Crossfit hate comes from people within the strength sports community which is ironic because Crossfit has done more in a couple years to boost the popularity of all of them than have done for themselves in the past twenty. The possible exception is bodybuilding, although physique and figure competitions seem to be on the rise.

I’m not saying Crossfit doesn’t have its issues but powerlifting, bodybuilding, and strongman all do as well. Many of them being the same issue.

I feel the need to point out here that I do not participate in crossfit. I have once or twice but that was mostly because the local coach is a trained weightlifting instructor and I wanted a few sessions of learning to clean efficiently. I just don’t get the people the dislike of it from the community that should welcome it the most.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
Idaho, that was really interesting.

Some of you might like this clip of Christmas Abbott. I’ve been reading her book. She’s 5’3, 115 to 120 lbs of athleticism.

Women don’t need to strive for this level of muscle or athleticism, but I’d rather have my daughter look to this as an ideal, than what we have going on in the figure/bikini world these days. A big part of the message to girls and young women is “breast implants are required if you want to be pretty.” I’m all for these Crossfit women bucking that trend. [/quote]

Gorgeous woman in all respects.
[/quote]
She has Tats carrying a power tool. What is not to love?

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

You gotta keep in mind, you’re bringing up a lot of fringe sports. You’re a part of a community where it’s less fringe, but the majority of the public DOES consider powerlifting, strongman, Olympic lifting, etc to not be “real sports”. Crossfit gets more hate I’d say just because people actually know what the hell crossfit is. Ask someone the difference between weightlifting, powerlifting, strongman and bodybuilding and you’ll blow their minds because they didn’t know they were 4 different things.[/quote]

True but its not the everyday sports fan that espouses the most hate towards Crossfit in my experience. Those seem to be the people Crossfit feeds off of. The most virulent Crossfit hate comes from people within the strength sports community which is ironic because Crossfit has done more in a couple years to boost the popularity of all of them than have done for themselves in the past twenty. The possible exception is bodybuilding, although physique and figure competitions seem to be on the rise.

I’m not saying Crossfit doesn’t have its issues but powerlifting, bodybuilding, and strongman all do as well. Many of them being the same issue.[/quote]

I tend to only see it from the wannabes myself: the folks who lift weights in the gym but don’t participate in any sport, but still call themselves powerlifters, bodybuilders, strongman, etc.

I’ve hung out with powerlifters and strongman competitors who would rib no crossfit/crossfitters, but it was friendly bashing between athletes. The vitrol never seemed to come from them.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
bashing crossfit is like bashing powerlifting, bodybuilding - whatever criticism you have won’t apply to all.
[/quote]
So true.

And Audrey was one classy and naturally beautiful lady.[/quote]

You are too, Snapita. Sincerely.

And the Puff too.[/quote]

Thank you, Push. There are different kinds of beautiful. The kind that’s on the inside is best, although that isn’t what this website is about.

Women like Audrey Hepburn and Natalie Portman have fine-boned, ballerina bodies. And Christmas Abbott has a Crossfitter’s body. They’re all naturally beautiful in their own way. I have several close friends who have breast augmentation, and they are happy with it. I just hate to see it be seen as the new normal, and I really dislike the idea that being small breasted means a woman is disfigured and requires surgery to fix it. Especially, if that’s to get a plastic trophy, or to have judges tell you you’re good enough, or so you can put some racy pics on your instagram.

Implants aren’t so great if you want to do ballet, or the OLY lifts, or any lifting really. One of my training partners no longer benches or trains pullups for fear of having them migrate to her armpits. They aren’t great if you like to run, or swing a golf club, or jump on a trampoline with your kids. I see why women want them, particularly if they want to balance some proportionally large hips.

I just put a high value on doing athletic things, and I admire athleticism and “being at home in your own skin” when I see it in other people. That said, I can hardly criticize chicks who are trying to improve themselves. Women were attractive before cosmetic surgery, and the fitness industry is one of the biggest sources of skewed body image there is. I’ve talked about this before, so I’ll leave it at that.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
[/quote]
So true.

[/quote]
Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.

I love the look of those Crossfit girls. Would kill to have that musculature. On the flip side, you probably couldn’t pay me enough to get implants.

But different strokes for different folks.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
[/quote]
So true.

And the Puff too.[/quote]

Thank you, Push. There are different kinds of beautiful. The kind that’s on the inside is best, although that isn’t what this website is about.

Women like Audrey Hepburn and Natalie Portman have fine-boned, ballerina bodies. And Christmas Abbott has a Crossfitter’s body. They’re all naturally beautiful in their own way. I have several close friends who have breast augmentation, and they are happy with it. I just hate to see it be seen as the new normal, and I really dislike the idea that being small breasted means a woman is disfigured and requires surgery to fix it. Especially, if that’s to get a plastic trophy, or to have judges tell you you’re good enough, or so you can put some racy pics on your instagram.

Implants aren’t so great if you want to do ballet, or the OLY lifts, or any lifting really. One of my training partners no longer benches or trains pullups for fear of having them migrate to her armpits. They aren’t great if you like to run, or swing a golf club, or jump on a trampoline with your kids. I see why women want them, particularly if they want to balance some proportionally large hips.

I just put a high value on doing athletic things, and I admire athleticism and “being at home in your own skin” when I see it in other people. That said, I can hardly criticize chicks who are trying to improve themselves. Women were attractive before cosmetic surgery, and the fitness industry is one of the biggest sources of skewed body image there is. I’ve talked about this before, so I’ll leave it at that.
[/quote]

I think you’re putting too much thought into this. Some men are breast men but the majority of us are ass men and boobs are like extra credit for ass men. In other words, we like nice ones, we appreciate them but they are just a bonus. What really counts is face and the rest of the body. A good looking woman is good looking with or without nice boobs.

I’ve seen plenty of boob jobs that just didn’t work for the woman so there’s that risk for a gal as well as the risk of a bad boob job which never looks good for anyone.