Crossfit Lawsuit

Its an accident waiting to happen yet the people don’t see the implication because they hide under the veil of GPP and harbor the thoughts of being superior to everyone else.

Some of the WOD has lack of common sense and really have no clue what you’re gonna achieve.

[quote]weib wrote:
Its an accident waiting to happen yet the people don’t see the implication because they hide under the veil of GPP and harbor the thoughts of being superior to everyone else.
[/quote]

Funny.

I’ve heard people say similar things about deadlifts and cleans.

“I don’t have to try it. I know.”

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:

I’ve seen some very impressive female physiques produced using crossfit training.

Males? Not so much.[/quote]

it takes less for a female to have a good physique.

for a guy to be a head turner he has to be well dressed, ripped, muscular, big, veiny, well groomed, look educated and rich etc.

if a girl is lean and has a decent rack she is “impressive”. her hair can be a bit crazee, she can be dressed like shite and still be “hot”

[quote]Zack Nelson wrote:

if a girl is lean and has a decent rack she is “impressive”. her hair can be a bit crazee, she can be dressed like shite and still be “hot”
[/quote]

That’s not what I’m talking about when I say “impressive female physique”, though.

Indeed, slap a big pair of tits on a moderately decent looking girl, and she’ll probably turn a lot of heads. It’s not that hard to make a guys head turn.

An IMPRESSIVE female PHYSIQUE, takes a lot of work.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Crossfit didn’t produce that physique, genetics did, and he would probably look better if he trained with HIT vs. crossfit.

Only thing crossfit does is make you better at crossfit workouts.[/quote]

You’re right, how silly of me…

On topic: It’s pretty easy to see how this happened if you’ve ever been to a cfit gym. People are competing against each other and themselves to have better times or lift more weight. If you throw a newb into the mix who’s not in very good shape, have a trainer pushing him to go faster, everyone around you going faster than you and pressure to keep up or be the last one still working out, then you get rhabdo.

The pressure to keep up and push yourself is definitely an area that crossfit needs to work on knowing when to let up a bit.

theres a reason as a PICP coach we spend 2+ hours assessing clients. and if u are a chek practioner you would spend even more.
and as regards olympic lifts.
people are attempting these long before they are ready.
joint integrety and strength goes out the window in these enviroments

[quote]Anonymous Coward wrote:
weib wrote:

Funny.

I’ve heard people say similar things about deadlifts and cleans.

“I don’t have to try it. I know.”[/quote]

you can’t help the thoughts of idiots =D

[quote]ryanjm wrote:
On topic: It’s pretty easy to see how this happened if you’ve ever been to a cfit gym. People are competing against each other and themselves to have better times or lift more weight. If you throw a newb into the mix who’s not in very good shape, have a trainer pushing him to go faster, everyone around you going faster than you and pressure to keep up or be the last one still working out, then you get rhabdo.
[/quote]

heh, any idiot can give you a workout. How extensive and intense is up to the trainer’s imagination.

However good trainers plan a program and progress you from Pt. A to Pt. B in your goals and improve your fitness safely.
Heck, join the military and boot camp give you a work out like that.

^No doubt. The trainers go through certifications and are supposed to be able to scale the workout to the individual. However, one thing that isn’t clear here is whether the individual was getting a private workout, or part of a class. Most likely he was part of a class, and your instructor isn’t going to be giving you the same level of attention that you’d get if you paid for a private workout.

It’s still such a new system that I think a lot of gyms are working the kinks out and figuring out the best way to incorporate new people into the classes without holding everyone else back. Crossfit is a fantastic workout system, but it’s only as good as the people training you at your facility.

There are certain ‘benchmark’ workouts that are used to gauge your progress, but most of the workouts are only loosely guided, not one on one training. It’s up to the individual to determine when they’re ready to add weight or push themselves harder. Don’t forget, no one can “make you” do the workout. It’s not the military. This person just didn’t know their limits, and perhaps the trainer wasn’t paying enough attention.

I did crossfit for a bit and quite liked it. I find the people to be a bit on excessive/zealot side when it comes to diet/exercise/running form/anything to do with crossfit though. And the women seem to be frequently borderline with eating disorders.

It was too much ‘lifestyle’ for me.

The plaintiff won:

http://castawayre.blogspot.com/2008/10/man-awarded-300000-in-lawsuit-against.html

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
The plaintiff won:

http://castawayre.blogspot.com/2008/10/man-awarded-300000-in-lawsuit-against.html

[/quote]

http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/man_wins_workout_lawsuit/22417/

Mind you, this guy is supposed to be a Navy officer…but one extreme workout causes him to piss blood.

That was an easy 300K.

Apparantly the PT tests for the Navy are a bit lacking these days.

So here is an observation from all of this.

Something like crossfit is a fine training tool if you know what you are doing to start with. I know some people that swear by it and are very level-headed too (mostly law enforcement or emergency worker types). Their job might well entail picking up someone then sprinting out of a burning building with them. Something like crossfit is a tool, that is all.

For the topic at hand, I think that there are 2 points that need to be made.

• The trainer in question, while doubtless “certified” was also doubtless incapable. This points to the dirties secret of the industry, i.e., there are no real standards.

• The defendant probably had no idea that some sort of training routine could do that to him (nor did the trainer). This is the other half of it, in that the fitness industry has succeeded in dumbing down training to the point that most people think of it as being both harmless and healthy.

Comments? I hope this does not portend a flurry of lawsuits against personal trainers, where every little ache or pain from a session is grounds for a lawsuit…

– jj

Yeah great and what does a Crossfit certification entail? $1000 and a weekend of your time?

Crossfit is excellent for GPP, but you need to be at a high level of fitness to begin with (despite what Glassman says about scaling) and they also need to start screening participants before letting them loose in their facilities.

Watch out… this lawsuit will set a precedent for all Crossfit gyms across the country.

[quote]jj-dude wrote:

Comments? I hope this does not portend a flurry of lawsuits against personal trainers, where every little ache or pain from a session is grounds for a lawsuit…

– jj

[/quote]

You realize of course that it will. Personal responsibility is out the window now.

[quote]Qaash wrote:
jj-dude wrote:

– jj

You realize of course that it will. Personal responsibility is out the window now.[/quote]

I’m big on personal responsibility myself, but I find this particular case to be at least reasonably valid. I mean maybe it will cause more lawsuits to follow, maybe not - but at some point incompetency (regulations and standards regarding crossfit trainers) needs to be addressed.

If it takes a lawsuit to achieve this then so be it. The Crossfit Clan should know better then to churn out trainers that are under qualified, and let em loose on society.

I mean honestly how much knowledge can you demonstrate on sport science over a weekend in a group of 10+ people? Legally I feel Crossfit should be liable for calling people “trainers” simply for plunking down 1k and going to a glorified seminar. That also has to do with personal responsibility.

[quote]3rdegreebyrne wrote:
Qaash wrote:
jj-dude wrote:

– jj

You realize of course that it will. Personal responsibility is out the window now.

I’m big on personal responsibility myself, but I find this particular case to be at least reasonably valid. I mean maybe it will cause more lawsuits to follow, maybe not - but at some point incompetency (regulations and standards regarding crossfit trainers) needs to be addressed.

If it takes a lawsuit to achieve this then so be it. The Crossfit Clan should know better then to churn out trainers that are under qualified, and let em loose on society.

I mean honestly how much knowledge can you demonstrate on sport science over a weekend in a group of 10+ people? Legally I feel Crossfit should be liable for calling people “trainers” simply for plunking down 1k and going to a glorified seminar. That also has to do with personal responsibility.[/quote]

I’m confused…some of you seem to believe it makes sense for doctors and nurses to now be personal trainers. That is the only way some of what you are getting at makes sense.

Unless people are now willing to be FORCED to see a doctor and be under treatment during the course of all gym activity, I think some of you need to slow down when it comes to your acceptance of this law suit.

A personal trainer is a glorified baby sitter in most cases. If you all want health professionals in those positions, expect to end up paying for it.

This law suit is just another sign of the failure of our own legal system.

It’s not a matter of doctors or nurses becoming trainers, but rather trainers having more sense and education than can be found at a weekend seminar.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
It’s not a matter of doctors or nurses becoming trainers, but rather trainers having more sense and education than can be found at a weekend seminar.[/quote]

Yes, and the ultimate conclusion of expecting your personal trainer to have MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE is you either being forced to be under a doctor’s care before you ever set foot in a gym, or paying more fees so that you make it possible to afford people with more educational training.

Most of those people you see currently walking around Gold’s or 24 Hour Fitness with the logo shirts on barely have high school diplomas. If you want better educated trainers, why do you think someone more educated is going to settle for what most personal trainers get paid?