Crossfit Help

Hey to all of you cross fit Ladies,

My fiance wants to start a really good work out and has been looking a lot at crossfit programs, Dose anybody know of a good resource that could help her get started
Thanks

crossfit.com?

Yeah, visiting their website would make the most sense…

Or just google “Crossfit programs”

ladies, raise your hands if you do crossfit!

I tried it for about six months in 2007 and burned out big time. It’s not a bad system but my advice is:

1. Don’t feel you have to stick to the three on-one off protocol and go balls out every workout. Some people just aren’t able to recover that quickly. Plus, you never hear about rhabdo outside of the Crossfit boards. There’s a reason for this.
  2. If you’re going to do the more complex lifts the routines call for, make sure you get some coaching so you don’t fuck yourself up. The Crossfit boards are full of people moaning about injuries. There’s a reason for this, too.
  3. Don’t worry about scaling workouts and weights to your ability and equipment.
  4. Don’t drink the Kool Aid. Crossfit can be fun but there are other ways to train that are just as valid. Some of the people who inhabit the boards over there would have you believe otherwise. They’d also have you believe that you absolutely must pay a grand for a Crossfit certification. Trust me, you don’t need to. Have fun with it, but keep your eyes open.

raises hand

I’m currently doing crossfit and regular training. And what Cal said is spot on. So far I’m loving the results, and I was in dire need of a change.

crossfit.com is great to look at all of the different exercises and get a better understanding of all of the lifts. It’s definitely a good idea to have someone coach you through the lifts that you’re not familiar with. For me I’m having one helluva time with the olympic lifts, especially cleans. I also go to different crossfit sites to pick the workout of the day. Sometimes the order just doesn’t make sense. I’m not going to max out my shoulders 3 days in a row, lol.

Good luck!

Norincole - if that’s you in your avatar, and I’m assuming it is - then it’s obviously doing some good!

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Norincole - if that’s you in your avatar, and I’m assuming it is - then it’s obviously doing some good! [/quote]

Yep, that’s me! About 15 lbs ago, lol.

My boyfriend was my oil boy, it was great :wink:

I have a question in regards to doing Complexes:

I normally do six rounds of eight (max weight 75 pounds)
bent over rows
dead lift
hang-clean
front squat
push-press
back squat

Are there any more complexes that you ladies use that kick your butt?

I take it you haven’t checked the website yet. There are endless possiblities.

If I’m reading correctly, if you’re doing that round every workout, that’s pretty taxing. It’s good to switch things around. Either do as many reps in a certain amount of time, as many rounds, etc.

Hope you’re liking it so far!

there are so many injuries from crossfit because they love to encourage bad form. Every crossfit vid I’ve seen, the lifters have terrible form but the coaches dont correct them. Do yourself a favor, create your own circuit/complex, execute as fast as you can with good form and FFS, do real pull ups/chins.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
there are so many injuries from crossfit because they love to encourage bad form. Every crossfit vid I’ve seen, the lifters have terrible form but the coaches dont correct them. Do yourself a favor, create your own circuit/complex, execute as fast as you can with good form and FFS, do real pull ups/chins. [/quote]

What match is that in your avatar?

[quote]admbaum wrote:
there are so many injuries from crossfit because they love to encourage bad form. Every crossfit vid I’ve seen, the lifters have terrible form but the coaches dont correct them. Do yourself a favor, create your own circuit/complex, execute as fast as you can with good form and FFS, do real pull ups/chins. [/quote]

Wow. Really?

You’re going to base your opinions of a way of training based on videos?

Maybe do yourself a favour and do a little more research on the program. I’m sad to hear that you haven’t come across any positive aspects of crossfit and believe that coaches don’t correct improper form. Then maybe you’d also come to realize that there are reasons for doing kipping pullups and that crossfit ALSO includes “real” pullups.

I think it’s safe to say that anyone who tries a new program needs to make sure that their form is correct in order to do the exercises properly and to avoid injury. Chances are, there are WAY more people lifting weights improperly than those doing crossfit.

Sometimes people NEED to have someone tell them what kind of circuit/complex to do, like myself. That’s one of the reason’s I like it so much.

[quote]admbaum wrote:

Yeah, my best friend is a bench only powerlifter. She fucked her wrist doing crossfit, and now is having surgery and will probably miss bench world’s because of it.