CrossFit + Firearms

It’s “America’s Fasted Growing Sport!” Wait, they say about every form of competition. Anyway, looks like there are several different variations of this out there. Basically, CrossFit or Strongman-looking events mixed with shooting. This video is from the Tactical Games (thanks @idaho).

Looks like a 3-gun competition ramped up. Here’s something similar:

Note the trap-bar farmer’s walk at 2:48.

Shooting under fatigue and the stress/pressure of competition seems like a great practical challenge. And the training some of these women do is amazing. Lots of loaded carries and drags, barbell work, etc.

Anyone try it?

Also, seems like a great opportunity for coaches: a new kind of athlete to train. Calling @Christian_Thibaudeau. You up for it? Look, they’re already doing Zercher variations.

2 Likes

You’re allowed to drop the weights if you’re strapped. New gym rule.

:grin:

This photog does great work on these events: Recon Photography (@recon_ro) • Instagram photos and videos

4 Likes

With recent developments like these, maybe the USMC can finally step away from judging physical fitness based on a 3 mile run time and pull ups!

(Joking, this will never happen)

Definitely looks like something CT would be excellent at.

Would be interesting to see if a Mr. Paul Carter would partake as well (RIP).

2 Likes

Still?! I know the Army made some improvements recently, if this 2019 article below is still accurate. A loaded carry (a locked and loaded carry?) seems like it should be mandatory.

2 Likes

The USMC is the first to go and the last to know! Give em an MRE spoon and an extra boot lace and watch them win ‘hearts and minds’.

Marines will eventually catch up, in the meantime - they will continue promoting the Forest Gumps just because they run good.

At least the Air Force isn’t doing their physical fitness tests on the recumbent bike anymore :joy:

Sorry for the derail. I think this should replace the Olympic Skiing + Shooting event tbh. Who ever skiis with a rifle these days?

1 Like

Did something happen to Paul, or is this a joke? I’m off all social media at this point so I’m completely clueless.

Paul went off the reservation on a few occasions with clients and former clients… having T-Nation’s name affiliated with his isn’t something that would be desireable, unfortunately. To my understanding, this is why he’s no longer around.

Still, I’m a PC fanboy - I just wouldn’t pay for his services, given his past interactions.

(I’m also off Social Media altogether, but i believe he’s still around - just in other formats than here)

1 Like

James Bond bad guys?

3 Likes

Ah, gotcha. I couldn’t quite tell what you were getting at in that comment. I was around for the PC saga here a while back. That was a fun one.

1 Like

The tactical games has a Instagram training site. However, I cannot get it to post this morning.

Funniest community comment of the day!

:joy:

1 Like

It’s up now:

I’ve been training with a veteran who’s trying to get back in to secure a military pension. The ACFT has changed. They eliminated the tuck, because too many people couldn’t do the minimum standard of one rep. They also changed the standards for women and added age groups. It’s not that rigorous. A below average CrossFitter like me can easily pass. At 62, I crush the 60+ standard and fail only the 2 mile run for 18-21. 2 questions: Why is it so easy? Why are people failing it when the test and standards are not secret?

Most branches of the military today are having a tougher time recruiting and a tougher time keeping people in. (In part because of forced vaccination.) I’m guessing they have to lower the standards because they need warm bodies, even out of shape ones.

I’ve offered advice to young people over the years about the join the service who were smart enough to prepare for boot camp and the fitness tests. But I guess the new recruits aren’t thinking ahead these days.

Found a fun sizzle real here:

Dat 2 of the Tactical Games in Oregon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgtzHKKOkts/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChAAjPXL0rM/?hl=en

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch1z6WBO1Uj/?hl=en

@idaho any recommendations on how to start getting into something like this?

It seems like an awesome challenge, and I can work out the fitness parts at my home gym, but I’m really at a loss on how to train the firearms portions. That type of dynamic shooting seems impossible to replicate at most ranges.

Any tips for making the most of tactical training at a standard range, or recommendations on how to find more accessible ranges compared to your standard 8 lane indoor range?

Standard indoor ranges are only good for basic weapons drills, like magazine changes and steady trigger work. Move and shoot drills are for open ranges. Quite frankly, you cannot really train for the Tactical Games without one. I am fortunate to live near a skeet range, where the owner allows me to use a back section of their property to set up my own drills. All you need are some small traffic cones, a couple of target stands and steel plates. My rifle shooting is limited to 150 yards. There is large gun club about an hour’s drive from me, I go about once a month and pay a visitor’s fee and shoot out to 800 yards. Hopefully, you can find a place for outdoor training.

My best advise:

3 gun and 2 gun shoots are very popular through out the US. Try to find one in your area and go compete. It is an excellent way to test your skills. Entry prices are reasonable and it can put you in contact with a lot of national and local shooters. Someone will know someone who can help you find a place to train. Also, you don’t have to compete to attend. Just show up and observe, shooters are some of most friendly people on earth, it will not be long that someone will start talking to you.

https://www.instagram.com/ttg.training/?hl=en

1 Like