Crossfit Certification.

As a PLer, and a comercial gym owner I should be the first guy to bash Cross fitt, but aside from “some” bad coaches teaching bad form. The fact is Cross fit got people lifting real weights again. I mean men, and women lifting barbells from the floor over they’re heads. This is better than where the masses were headed with boso balls, and muscle isolating machines ( Planet fitness, and Curves) compared to this Cross fit is a step in the right direction. I looked into a cross fit box 5yrs ago when I opened my gym, but I didn’t have a big enough market to make it profitable. I went to NY and spent a weekend taking the cross fit (owner’s) course. I actualy learned alot, even after 20yrs in the buisness with a pocket full of credentials. I instituded alot of this with my female clients, mashing weights, plyo, and cardio into (cross fittish) circuits ( better than BBing programs for house wives) I think the miniute you think you know it all, or have a closed mind, you stop learning.
My question to the OP would be, if your not going to train at a cross fit gym, why pay for the course. Why not just institude these methods on your own with your clients. I tell alot of my female clients that they’re doing a cross fit type program. My head trainer has a couple different buisness cards, from strength coach, to one that says “Golfing athletic coach” ( specializing in adding yards to your drive) he hands these out before spring. The point is this is a cut throat buisness, being a good coach isn’t enough somtimes, there’s so many kids flooding the market, you have to get creative. I’m not saying kids should fudge credentials, you already have the expieriance, your just trying to seperate yourself from the crowd. I hope some of my babble makes sense to you, and if not it never hurts to have more knowlage. Goodluck

I think like most things, Crossfit is popular because it was marketed well and it makes people “feel” like they are progressing. It feeds off of that feeling. Are you actually making any improvement? How about form. What happens when the @Fitter’s want to make their reps and resort to horid form. How many injuries are there on the Crossfit forums including slap tears from kipping pullups?

Curves was popular too and that doesn’t do jack. Yet, there is a benefit to getting people off their fat asses and doing something physical. It would be better served if it actually achieved some end goal. You burn calories just as well on a mouse wheel and don’t have to worry about injuries.

You can get Pendlay certs for the same price as a Crossfit cert. Which is going to teach you more? If you want to make money off of stupid people, do @Fit, if you want to help people improve themselves, put the money towards something meaningful for your clients and then do your best to convince them it is the best path.

Lots of women follow bodybuilding routines, I don’t see why this is immediately an issue? There is an entire forum on bb’ing.com for just that topic. The women there have made some stellar progress and look and feel great about themselves. Just my rambling response :P.

Quasi-tech, the whole BBing thing comes from young trainers with weekend certs, all clients wether 20 or 60yr men, or 45 yr house wife get the same program, 5 day BBing split. This drives me nuts when I see said lady who’s 50+ lbs over weight, coming in Tues. for arm day. I feel all though not perfect crossfits WOD on said Tues, would probably be burpees, BB complexes, plyos, whatnot. Not to hyjak, and divert the thread, but out of shape 50yr who don’t plan to compete do better on a couple whole body (big movement) workouts a week, plus conditioning. “Having a 400lb guy do seated calf raises while his trainer texts his buddy”, is whats wrong with the industry, and why Cross fit is doing so well. Results speak. I’ve seen a 20yr trainer, train a 250lb house wife for 3 yrs on a BBing split, and she looks the exact same 3yrs latter. Nothing against BBing if thats your thing, but it’s not as effective for untrained middle agers trying to look like Brad Pitt/ jessica Beil. I don’t do cross fit, but don’t understand why people are so against it. they should try it, Anyway were getting off track, Op goodluck, love it or hate it, I don’t think cross fit is going away

I think the blame in that case can be placed on joke trainers. Realistically, how “good” are these trainers? Most are college students either getting degrees, or those who like lifting and so get a base “physical trainer” certification and then get a part time job. They are lazy, otherwise they probably would have a real list of clients and wouldn’t be getting paid by the gym at a low wage. You get what you pay for.

The base certification to be a trainer is a joke. The questions could be answered after 8th grade health class completion. I was astonished. It may be slightly off topic, but at the same time, its rather on topic. This guy listed a ton of certifications, it looks good with all those letters (like so many who post articles here) but realistically how many of those letters actually mean something valuable?

Does Shelby or JM have those letters after their name? Nope, but they have a list of successful, impressive clients because they actually invest time into their professions. The worst thing a new gym goer can do is hire one of the gym’s trainers, that is second only to getting a program out of a magazine. Sad but true. Sure there are quality gyms with quality trainers, but that is the exception and not the rule.

What crossfit wants you to believe crossfit women look like…

How they really look most of the time.

Csulli, yeah no doubt about the money behind being a crossfit athlete. If I want to have a chance to whore myself out to Reebok, Kellogs or any other corporate sponsor I would have a much better chance if I did it competing in the “Crossfit Games” than at a local powerlifting event, even if your average Powerlifter is a shit ton stronger than a Crossfitter.

Anytime Jake, I just want a Crossfit credential because its popular. I have been saving up a lot of money for an investment in my own gym and while I’m still ways off I think having a Crossfit certification and possibly franchising the crossfit name would really help give me some marketing muscle.

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:
I think the blame in that case can be placed on joke trainers. Realistically, how “good” are these trainers? Most are college students either getting degrees, or those who like lifting and so get a base “physical trainer” certification and then get a part time job. They are lazy, otherwise they probably would have a real list of clients and wouldn’t be getting paid by the gym at a low wage. You get what you pay for.

The base certification to be a trainer is a joke. The questions could be answered after 8th grade health class completion. I was astonished. It may be slightly off topic, but at the same time, its rather on topic. This guy listed a ton of certifications, it looks good with all those letters (like so many who post articles here) but realistically how many of those letters actually mean something valuable?

Does Shelby or JM have those letters after their name? Nope, but they have a list of successful, impressive clients because they actually invest time into their professions. The worst thing a new gym goer can do is hire one of the gym’s trainers, that is second only to getting a program out of a magazine. Sad but true. Sure there are quality gyms with quality trainers, but that is the exception and not the rule.[/quote]

I agree, the problem is the industry is not regulated at all so we have a lot of monkeys taking crappy weekend certifications like ACE and becoming “fitness professionals” even though they don’t even need a high school diploma.
The Crossfit certifications are even worse since not only do they not require a high school diploma but they don’t even require a CPR/AED certification! If you ever go to a crossfit class you better hope to God you don’t have a cardiac arrest or you’re dead for certain.

The CSCS which I have requires a 4 year degree in an exercise related field, I have several others but all of them at least require a high school diploma and CPR.

I think the industry needs to be more tightly regulated. There are far too many people in the industry who are putting people at risk through their lack of knowledge and education.

I will say that some of these trainers working at shitty gyms actually are really good trainers, its just that its very hard right now in this economy to find a good fitness job. Are only other options are to go private which is difficult since the industry is so competitive or to apply for an internship at a university or clinical setting which is also hard since many are not stipend and we can’t afford it.

[quote]Madtytecurls wrote:
How they really look most of the time.[/quote]

My penis has a sad.

[quote]Johnny T Frisk wrote:

My penis has a sad.
[/quote]

I know that feeling bro…

Says the guy who aspires to open up a Crossfit gym.

Those women actually look like many female athletes–normal, healthy females, although not of your aesthetic liking.

Your example is also weak as a defense or in discrediting a training system.

What bodybuilding SHOULD do for most people: gain appreciable amounts of muscle with a symmetrical, lean physique.

What most gym-goers who use bodybuilding training look like: ORDINARY.

What powerlifting should do for most people: result in appreciable strength gains and impressive lifts.

Strength levels of most who use it: ordinary to good, but not elite.

What top distance runners look like: skinny but very lean.

What many recreational runners look like: skinny-fat.

Should we discredit training systems because of the result for most–most being ordinary people with ordinary lives–or the APPLICATION of training?

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
Crossfit sucks, it is like volleyball. Gay if men do it, absolutely hot if women do it. No man with a dick and balls between his legs should care about how many kipping pullups (aka gay pullups) can do it 10 minutes, or how many bear’s or what-the-fuck-not- he can do.[/quote]

Right, but they should care about posing in a thong in front of a largely gay audience (gay in the literal sense of the word).

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Forget crossfit, and get ahead of the curve. If your looking to train what’s popular this American Ninja is coming on hard, and I think someone setup to specialize in this type of training would definitely be ahead of the curve. Crossfit has established it’s self now, but I think the rush is over. People are after this elusive functional strength, and conditioning now, with the advent of these Gladiator, and Mudder obstacle courses/challenges.

I think in line with these the American Ninja is going to be the next big craze. They already offer over a million in prizes, with big sponsors such as Nike/Rebock. I train young athletes as well, and try not to get caught up in fads, and such. But lately I’m getting huge demand from yuppies wanting to train for these Mudder challenges. One of my trainers is starting to specialize in this, and doing well. [/quote]

Ninja Warrior has been one of my favorite shows for years. If there ever was a good fad in fitness>NW training would be it. The show’s featured some sick looking Parkour gyms. As far as the actual training, thats kind of what Im working on now in terms of general S & C. My new goal is to become a bad ass rope climber.

My money’s on “Rock Climbing Jesus” to win/go the farthest

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Those women actually look like many female athletes–normal, healthy females, although not of your aesthetic liking.

What bodybuilding SHOULD do for most people: gain appreciable amounts of muscle with a symmetrical, lean physique.

What powerlifting should do for most people: result in appreciable strength gains and impressive lifts.

Should we discredit training systems because of the result for most–most being ordinary people with ordinary lives–or the APPLICATION of training?[/quote]

If people who do bodybuilding do not experience hypertrophy or if a powerlifter does not get stronger it means their programming or possibly diet is flawed.

I’m not planning on making everyone who I train elite in any fitness capacity but if I did plan on making them elite the last thing I would want them to do is crossfit.

Crossfit seems to actually strive for mediocrity. Jack of all trades, master at none.

Was reading through this thread and I have noticed an alarming amount of elitist attitudes surfacing. Regardless of the system, if you are the instructor, if you are a “teacher”, then someone who walks through your door is looking to YOU for guidance or help.

Ok, so the fitness industry doesnt pay mega bucks, you knew that going in, either you want to help people or not. Those are your students, not your ticket to wealth,if you think so, you are in the wrong business. . As Brick said, those are ordinary people seeking some help or they wouldnt be there in the first place.

I saw some interviews from Keifer (CBL) on Scott Paltos and his gym in NYC … He’s a former college / briefly NFL player and a beast. He opened a crossfit facility, and even competes in crossfit comps, while pretty openly dissing the “WOD” mindset

He hung the crossfit banner to attract more clients and not be so “scary” to the masses, but (from what I read) does his own programming, which is much more strength based than the typical “work till you puke” crossfit mentality

His articles/ interviews on athlete.io (formerly Dangerously Hardcore) might be worth looking into … I think he shares your disdain, while realizing that when its your livelihood, it’s probably not a good business move to alienate large segments of the fitness world.

And he knows his size, strength, and preferred methods of training are intimidating to most people looking for a gym / just starting out. The crossfit name (to him) alleviates some of those fears and gets people in the door.

Like it or not ( and I don’t) …crossfit is the flavor of the month

OP,

If no one has linked to it yet, we have article here about getting a Crossfit certification: Crossed Up by CrossFit

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Should we discredit training systems because of the result for most–most being ordinary people with ordinary lives–or the APPLICATION of training?[/quote]

If people who do bodybuilding do not experience hypertrophy or if a powerlifter does not get stronger it means their programming or possibly diet is flawed.

I’m not planning on making everyone who I train elite in any fitness capacity but if I did plan on making them elite the last thing I would want them to do is crossfit.

Crossfit seems to actually strive for mediocrity. Jack of all trades, master at none.
[/quote]

Actually being a jack of all trades is not easy to attain. Is it easy to be a high ranked decathlete or triathlete?

Many sports require a little bit of everything as well.

Guess what? Almost none of your clientele care to be elite in anything.

The average gym goer–you know, the people whose money you desire–do not care at being great at one thing (eg, don’t care about elite powerlifting status or a 405+ bench or 600+ squat, a 4.5 forty, and so on).

Exactly what does Sally Soccer Mom and Joe Six Pack want to be great at?

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

High rep Olympic lifts are for sure unorthodox, but it’s best reserved for advanced trainees with a bit of muscle on them and more body awareness and knowledge than the average yokel, the types that can break so-called “rules”. [/quote]

Crossfitters sound edgy as fuck.[/quote]

You completely misinterpreted my post.

Crossfitter or not, those with more knowledge, body mass, strength, and experience can get away with breaking “so called” rules and not be in harm’s way. This has nothing to do with Crossfitters being badasses. Same goes for dietary “rules” as well, hence why the concept of IIFYM emerged because people realized that many so called “rules” (frequent eating) being another are NOT “rules” to be followed at all!

But if we go by your consideration, I guess many powerlifters are edgy as fuck. I mean they’re all big and scary, often sports sleeves or entire bodies of tattoos, frequently bark and bellow around the gym, butt their heads on bars before squatting, and so on.

Bodybuilders too, they’re another edgy group, superior to their eternal foes, “regular people”–all better than the other guy, living like monks, and organizing their days according to around-the-clock eating while not having two cents to rub together.

(This is said with hyperbole to illustrate just how unnecessary it is to belittle others just because they like a damn training method or lifestyle or whatever.)

I know some crossfitters.

They’re super elite hardcore athletes. Maybe one day, if i buy enough crossfit branded gear ill be as elite as they are.