Cross Country and Lifting Weights.......

…is it possible??
first off, hi to all, looking forward to gaining some new insight into lifting weights here.

To start out, let me say that my basic goal is to get into better running shape (being able to run 3k in less than 20 mins) while making myself physically stronger for the upcoming track season.

Now my question is, can I seriously make a difference in my strength even while running cross country (at least 6-8 miles a day) at the same time??

if not, then I dont want to waste my time lifting weights when i could be doing my AP Euro outlines, u kno wat i mean?
and if it is possible to successfully accomplish both goals, then plz give a general guideline as to what exercises as well as how frequently i should be doing
thx in advance

P.s. if anyone says this is a stupid question, well, you all better get ready cause i got more where that came from :smiley:

3k in 20 mins? Do you mean 3 miles in 20 minutes?

You need to take a hard look and write down your goals. How old are you?

Training for both those goals at the same time is counterproductive and you will just waste time.

my bad, i meant 5k which is roughly equal to 3.1 miles, and im 15 years old

My goals by end of this school year:

Flat DB press w/ 60 lb. dumbbells
Dumbbell Curl: 35 lbs. at least 5 times
Dumbbell Row: 70 lbs. at least 5 times
Close-Grip Bench Press: 100 lbs at least 5 times
yes, I know my goals are very low however I am naturally skinny kid at 140 lbs, and I do cross country/track year round which makes it hard for me to bulk

need anything else, im happy to oblige

[quote]elano wrote:
Training for both those goals at the same time is counterproductive and you will just waste time.[/quote]

so no chance of even being able to gain a bit of strength?? I would really like to avoid going back to the 120 lb. kid i was a year ago (only 140 lbs. right now but still)

I guess its possible to gain some strength since you obviously havnt squatted or deadlifted before, however your gains will be nothing close to what they would have been if you just focused on strength.

Start doing squats and eat enough food.

Squat squat and more squat. Increasing your curl max isn’t going to help your running.

Look up starting strength, I believe the guide is still on the first page (if not I’ll bump it) and go over your diet.

Don’t confuse bulking with getting strong. They are different things; related but different.

You can certainly gain a lot of strength and some muscle size while also improving your running times.

[quote]skw wrote:
Don’t confuse bulking with getting strong. They are different things; related but different.

You can certainly gain a lot of strength and some muscle size while also improving your running times.

[/quote]

thanks, but now let me add a twist, what if some of my workouts are after practice?? for instance, practice ends at 5. and the school gym where i work out opens at 7:30. Im pretty sure that will negatively affect me, correct? running a couple of miles and then lifting weights just hours later, good combo or bad??

to everyone else, appreciate the advice. about the squats, i will definitely throw them in the weeks before track starts when i dont have practice

to aggro: about my diet, I was thinking about drinking my protein shake (combination of whey, soy and casein) in the morning to kind of last me till lunch time and then again have a protein shake right after working out (which is also right before i sleep).

to tell the truth, other than these 2 shakes, my diet is not definitive at all. Some mornings i might have a couple of bananas or an apple or maybe even cereal. At school, I drink a bottle of chocolate milk (8g right there) and watever lunch they serve and after i get home i have a couple of glasses of milk or a cup of yogurt.

For dinner, being from the middle east, i have lots of rice (white rice though) and meat. yes, i kno my diet is extremely crappy but unfortunately, its all i have to work with and it has gotten me SOME results last year so dont get angry w/ me.

oh, and not to argue at all but, strong upper body does actually help u run faster in track. It gives you more speed and prevents you from “wobbling” side to side.

again, thanks to everyone who helped :smiley:

I recall a 200lb wrestler that did cross country and lifted weights. It is quite possible.

Enough quality nutrition, enough sleep and enough heavy lifting with big compound movements as your primary exercises and yes you will make some LBM and strength gains.

It might not be optimal for strength/mass but providing you hit the above criteria you will still be better off then without doing it.

since cross country is ur sport be more specific to it…
first of all strenght & endurance should be ur targets

bulgarian Squats mimick the movement pattrn of ur legs…lunges (forward & backward)will help alot…romanian deadlifts to develop more strenght in ur hips…i used to ski and the best guys in my team had all massive legs-their training focused on legs and core basically… upper body wise, i imagine strong shoulders make a lot of difference in your sport… of course, as the others said good nutrition, rest, etc will have great impact as well…

oh and a piece of great advice…find someone who is serious about cross country…does it for years, trains for it…competes…have a look at which muscles are more developed!!!be smart…this is whereu want to b…then ask them for advice and feedback…maybe the best thing u will ever do…u can thank me later:')
best
g

[quote]georgede wrote:
since cross country is ur sport be more specific to it…
first of all strenght & endurance should be ur targets

bulgarian Squats mimick the movement pattrn of ur legs…lunges (forward & backward)will help alot…romanian deadlifts to develop more strenght in ur hips…i used to ski and the best guys in my team had all massive legs-their training focused on legs and core basically… upper body wise, i imagine strong shoulders make a lot of difference in your sport… of course, as the others said good nutrition, rest, etc will have great impact as well…

oh and a piece of great advice…find someone who is serious about cross country…does it for years, trains for it…competes…have a look at which muscles are more developed!!!be smart…this is whereu want to b…then ask them for advice and feedback…maybe the best thing u will ever do…u can thank me later:')
best
g[/quote]

Don’t forget the benefits of max effort work for prehab.

[quote]KAIZER wrote:
…is it possible??
first off, hi to all, looking forward to gaining some new insight into lifting weights here.

To start out, let me say that my basic goal is to get into better running shape (being able to run 3k in less than 20 mins) while making myself physically stronger for the upcoming track season.

Now my question is, can I seriously make a difference in my strength even while running cross country (at least 6-8 miles a day) at the same time??

if not, then I dont want to waste my time lifting weights when i could be doing my AP Euro outlines, u kno wat i mean?
and if it is possible to successfully accomplish both goals, then plz give a general guideline as to what exercises as well as how frequently i should be doing
thx in advance

P.s. if anyone says this is a stupid question, well, you all better get ready cause i got more where that came from :D[/quote]

first of all, i envy your stamina… 6 - 8 miles a day. nice.

for someone like you, you dont need, or even want that much muscle. you’re looking for endurance. if you’re trying to excel aesthetically and performance wise, forget it. its possible, but if you wanna be a great runner, focus on running. however, lifting wont hinder you at all. just stick to basics to keep your muscles guessing and to prevent injury.