T Nation

CRO's Juggernaut Training Log

Male, 33y/o, 6’0", ~215lbs. I’ve been lifting casually over the past 3 years or so - began with P90X/dumbbells and cardio then transitioned to barbell training w/starting strength. Doing SS I gained about 25lbs and lost significant work capacity over six months just lifting 3x/week and doing basically zero conditioning or assistance work. So I then wrote and followed my own 4-day program w/some conditioning and progressed weekly until I just got burnt out hitting max weights every session 4x/week. I’m looking to get stronger (general strength, not powerlifting specific) but still be in good shape. I’m a husband/father of 3 and I’m trying to be strong for my family and of course avoid the typical dad bod. I’m an engineer and I spend most of my work week in an office at a computer so minimal calories are burned throughout the day. My kids are all young and I like to spend time with them when I get home so I have to work-out at home early in the morning before heading to work or it just won’t happen.

After reading seemingly hundreds of articles and watching many video reviews, I’ve decided to run the original Juggernaut method. This program meets most of the criteria I was looking for… 4-day/week lifting schedule, includes overhead pressing, encourages conditioning work, ~60 minute sessions, various rep ranges, performance based progression, etc. The 16-week commitment is a little daunting though and may be difficult to follow since I have to travel occasionally for work (usually for a week at a time) and with a family of 5, getting sick is inevitable. Thankfully, I’m just getting over a cold and the weather is slowly starting to warm-up here in Alabama so maybe I’ll be healthy for a while.

My most recent 1RM’s were set during the last 4 days of 2019 (6 weeks ago) and are as follows:
OHP: 135lb https://youtu.be/iZSseLlXcR8
Squat: 285lb https://youtu.be/O7uyGGgQNAI
Bench: 180lb https://youtu.be/iiQSyaBOSlc
Deadlift: 325lb https://youtu.be/TxGqs_v_WX0

I’ll be using 90% training maxes as suggested in the book:
OHP TM: 121lb
Squat TM: 256lb
Bench TM: 162lb
Deadlift TM: 292lb

Tentative weekly schedule is as follows:
Tuesday: TJM OHP, 3 sets of BW Chins and Dips
Wednesday: TJM Squat, 3 sets of Hanging Leg Raises and Ab Wheel
Thursday: Conditioning (Walk 3 miles @3mph and 15% incline)
Friday: TJM Bench, 3 sets of BW Chins and Dips
Saturday: TJM Deadlift, 3 sets of Hanging leg Raises and Ab Wheel
Sunday: Conditioning (Walk 3 miles @3mph and 15% incline)
Monday: OFF

Anyways, I’ll be starting this Tuesday and hope to keep up this training log to track progress and help hold me accountable. Stay tuned.

Well good luck with it tomorrow!

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it.

One thing I didn’t cover earlier was diet and recovery. I don’t plan on tracking macros or anything like that. But I do generally get at least 200g of protein a day via milk, protein shakes, red meat, eggs, or greek yogurt. Current body weight is ~215lbs but I don’t want to get much heavier until I can significantly increase my lifts. My goal for this year is to hit a 185lb press, 250lb bench, 365lb squat, and 405lb deadlift.

Recovery for me is hit and miss. I generally have the opportunity to get 8hrs of sleep a night, but sometimes (1-2 times per week) I wake up and have trouble falling back asleep. My job is not physically demanding so it gives me some time to dissipate fatigue during the day. Anyways, off to bed now - gotta wake up early.

Hi,

Rest is pretty high up on the list. However. I have two small kids myself. I know that they tend to wake up early. However. You can compensate it on weekends especially if take turns on weekends with your wife regarding the sleep. I do that.

But I’ve put some slabs of awsunness on my body with years and years of 6 and 7 hour sleep.I just compensate it on weekends. Some say they can’t sleep once they wake up. Meditation helps on that regard. And keeping mind from getting too active.

So basically your rest should be fine. Recovery from training is more about program than about other things. A Good program has some auto regulation. TJM has it.

Thanks, that’s what I need to hear. Recovery is not off to a great start so far…To no surprise, I woke up around 3am this morning and couldn’t fall back asleep until around 4:30 (an hour before my alarm clock). This time, though, it was due to my Ring doorbell notification from the trash service truck driving by my house. :man_facepalming: I just installed the doorbell a few days ago and this is the first time it’s notified me at night. I’ve silenced the notification feature so this shouldn’t happen again.

Despite being tired, training this morning felt really good. It’s been a while since I ventured above 5 reps but it was refreshing. To me, sets of 10 reinforce the importance of breathing and pacing reps. I would usually knock out 4 solid reps, take a breath, 3 reps, another breath, 3 reps. The last set was the same with an additional 2 reps tacked on and 2-3 left in the tank.

Week 1 - 10’s Accumulation

Overhead Press
4x10x73lb
1x12x73lb (RPE 7-8)

Chin-ups
3x5xBW

Dips
3x5xBW

This morning was tough. 10 rep squats are very different than 10 rep presses, but I managed to get through. I can tell I will be very sore in two days.

Squat
4x10x154lb
1x13x154lb (RPE 7-8)

Hanging Leg Raises
3x10

Ab Wheel
3x5

Legs are actually not that sore today. I was surprised especially after conditioning yesterday. Anyways, deadlifts tomorrow shouldn’t be that bad and bench felt great this morning.

Bench Press
4x10x97lb
1x14x97lb (RPE 7-8)

Chins
3x5

Dips
3x5

10rep deadlifts… talk about a forearm pump! In fact, forearms and core were so fatigued that I had to swap in planks for ab wheel roll outs. Hamstrings felt fine but upper back was a little sore from benching yesterday. I’m looking forward to having two days off from lifting. Enjoying the program so far though.

Deadlift
4x10x175lb
1x13x175lb (RPE 7-8)

Hanging Leg Raises
3x10

Planks
3x30seconds

Today felt great. Sets were not nearly as fatiguing as last week, even with a heavier weight. I’m sure only doing 3 work sets had something to do with it. I’m going to attempt to add a rep to the assistance work each week and sustain that as long as possible.

Week 2 - 10’s Intensification

Overhead Press
2x10x82lb
1x13x82lb (RPE 8-9)

Chins
BWx6,5,5

Dips
BWx6,5,5

Squats were brutal this morning. I’m not sure once per week frequency is optimal for my squats as it felt like my technique was not dialed in. Shoulders were stiff, knees were caving in - it just felt like it had been too long since my last squat session. I’ll stick it out for now but hopefully this improves as I get more accustomed to higher rep training.

Squat
2x10x173lb
1x11x173lb (RPE 8-9)

Hanging Leg Raises
BWx12,10,10

Ab Wheel
BWx6,5,5

It will pomel you. But the first 4 weeks are really hard. Next 4 are easier. Also you can change order if your legs are hammered. You don’t have to train on Monday and Monday. You can do Monday and next week in wensday, then week after that on Friday. Your main goal is to improve no mater what tactics you use. Not to follow program like a robot.

Hope that advice works amazingly. I use it when I know I won’t do well with most important lifts. Besides I do the same core program as you do. With mods ofc.

My legs weren’t really sore that day, the weight just felt very heavy. Each set was a struggle and it felt like I had taken weeks off from squatting. They’re sore now ofc but should be recovered for next week. Bench felt amazing this morning.

Bench Press
2x10x109lb
1x14x109lb (RPE 8-9)

Chins
BWx6,5,5

Dips
BWx6,5,5

Finally slept decent and felt pretty recovered for pulls this morning. Forearm pump is still very real and I managed to have less core fatigue today which allowed me to do some ab wheel rollouts afterwards. Feeling good and excited for realization week.

Deadlift
2x10x197lb
1x14x197lb (RPE 8-9)

Hanging Leg Raise
BWx12,10,10

Ab Wheel
BWx6,5,5

Realization week is here finally. I was anxious last night for some reason and didn’t sleep well at all. I still managed to pump out 14 reps, really more like 14.75 as I almost got the bar to lock-out overhead. I was hoping to get 15 (or more) reps to beat my previous 1RM but I’m confident I would have had I been well rested this morning.

Week 3 - 10’s Realization

Overhead Press
1x14x91lb (RPE 10); Projected 1RM: 133lb

Chins
BWx7,5,5

Dips
BWx7,5,5

Squats felt great today. Slept good and set a PR! I’ll take it.

Squat
1x15x192lb (RPE 10); Projected 1RM: 288lb

Hanging Leg Raise
BWx14,10,10

Ab Wheel
BWx7,5,5

Another day, another PR! Hopefully this trend continues…

Bench Press
1x16x122lb (RPE 10); Projected 1RM: 187lb

Chins
BWx7,5,5

Dips
BWx7,5,5

Just finished 10’s realization week with setting PR’s on 3 of 4 lifts. Not a bad training cycle. I do feel pretty fatigued after these marathon sets though so next week’s deload is a welcome change before I begin the 8’s wave.

Deadlift
1x16x219lb (RPE 10); Projected 1RM: 336lb

Hanging Leg Raise
BWx14,10,10

Ab Wheel
BWx7,5,5

Week 4 - Deload

Overhead Press
2x5x75lb

Chins
BWx5,5

Dips
BWx5,5

Really enjoying this deload week. I’m feeling more recovered as the week progresses and the light sets are keeping me in the groove. Looking back a few months, I wish I had sprinkled in some planned deload weeks here and there.

Squat
2x5x155lb

Hanging Leg Raise
BWx10,10

Ab Wheel
BWx5,5

Bench Press
2x5x95lb

Chins
BWx5,5

Dips
BWx5,5