T Nation

Crooked Bench Path

Hey,
I recently discovered that barbell’s path is crooked when I am benching. It feels straight to me and feels crooked when someone corrects the path. It’s like one wrist is ahead of the other, so it’s crooked on the horizontal plane.
Any tips on how to fix it?

One elbows more adducted than the other. Post a vid.

I don’t know, I doubt though, I don’t bench with my elbows tucked, I bench with open elbows, like russians powerlifters but the problem is also present if I tuck.
I thought it could be a non symmetrical position issue, but it isn’t.
When I unrack the bar I feel a heavier load on my right wrist which is the one behind.
Need a video from on high to judge elbows adduction and I don’t have atm. I will record one next time I bench.

Are you gripping the bar evenly? Also although you may think you’re doing/not doing something, the weight has a way of manipulating coordination.

Yea I made sure, also shoulder blades are pinched back evenly, feet are even, so is the bench.

Add a 25lb plate to the stronger side to even things out and see what happens. Maybe that will correct the crook, Be careful cause you might end up with 1 pec being bigger than the other one. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes man.

Same problem with no weight, might be a skeletal issue then :s

[quote]AzCats wrote:
Add a 25lb plate to the stronger side to even things out and see what happens. Maybe that will correct the crook, Be careful cause you might end up with 1 pec being bigger than the other one. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes man.[/quote]

serious?

Any old injuries?

[quote]lemon_ wrote:
Same problem with no weight, might be a skeletal issue then :s

[quote]AzCats wrote:
Add a 25lb plate to the stronger side to even things out and see what happens. Maybe that will correct the crook, Be careful cause you might end up with 1 pec being bigger than the other one. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes man.[/quote]

serious?[/quote]

I really hope he’s not serious. If he is then that’s the worst advice I’ve ever read.

[quote]AzCats wrote:

Yeah, definitely don’t do this; it reeks of bro-science.

CS

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]AzCats wrote:

CS[/quote]

I agree. I’d atleast put a 45lb plate on the stronger side. With only a quarter on the stronger side, people might question your methods.

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]AzCats wrote:

CS[/quote]

I agree. I’d at least put a 45lb plate on the stronger side. With only a quarter on the stronger side, people might question your methods.[/quote] Yes, adding more weight to one side of a barbell would be the dumbest possible thing a person could do. I figured my advice was so far off base…Most would perceive it as a joke. No, I was not serious.

nope, no injuries

[quote]lemon_ wrote:
Yea I made sure, also shoulder blades are pinched back evenly, feet are even, so is the bench. [/quote]

how do you know they are even? if what you feeling as “even” is actually uneven, you might not be setting up as straight as you think… otherwise, you would be benching straight

I know fixing something like this feels weird. i used to bench with one of my feet in a different position for awhile and it felt weird getting in the correct position. The easiest way to correct this is either someone continuously fixing your form as you bench or by visual feedbak (camera)

[quote]AzCats wrote:

Lmfao.

No clue how anyone took you seriously. I laughed. Good one, mate.