T Nation

Crocop vs Eddie Sanchez

Mirkos first UFC fight.

Discuss.

edit

sorry i thought he had fought ufc before (coulda swore i saw a video of him in it)

CroCop by decapitation…

He’s not returning to UFC, he was never there. He went to Pride from K-1. RIP Sanchez.

And I’ve never seen Sanchez, but apprently he’s a striker… oh man…

any news on when this fight will happen.

UFC 67, February 2. Should be a good way to get Cro Cop familiar to the cage for about 45 seconds, and get America used to Cro Cop with a highlight reel knockout. It was funny hearing Joe Rogan slobbing Mirko knob but they couldn’t show any video footage of him, hhaaha.

Crocop is going to have no challenge in ufc. hes gunna be the fedor of ufc.

Why even bother?

How’s NSAC sanctioning this over Hunt v Bean?

Check out Sanchez’s opponents in the past.
This is the worlds most far-fetched example of “puncher’s chance.” A miracle right hand is all that is could save Sanchez from brain-damage or an early grave.

If it’s in Cal, sub CSAC.

[quote]bad tripp wrote:
CroCop by decapitation…[/quote]

Good one:)

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
UFC 67, February 2. Should be a good way to get Cro Cop familiar to the cage for about 45 seconds, and get America used to Cro Cop with a highlight reel knockout. It was funny hearing Joe Rogan slobbing Mirko knob but they couldn’t show any video footage of him, hhaaha.[/quote]

Febuary 3rd you mean.

[quote]DrVonNostrand wrote:
How’s NSAC sanctioning this over Hunt v Bean?[/quote]

Probably because Sanchez doesn’t have a history of getting his ass kicked by lightweights (Sudo) and middleweights (Minowa). Bean also outweighs Hunt by more than 100 pounds, and athletic commissions tend to frown upon that kind of thing.

Butterbean’s best win (Cabbage) came in a modified-rules fight which shouldn’t even be clasified as an MMA bout. Excluding Cabbage, Butterbean’s best win was against 8-23 Leo Sylvest. Butterbean’s other four wins (prior to the Real Deal) came against guys with a combined 1-8 record.

Meanwhile, Sanchez has a number of victories against experienced MMA fighters in real MMA fights without any bullshit modified rules. His victories over Wade Shipp (8-3 with a win over Aaron Brink) and BTT trained Mario Neto (9-4 with wins over Gary Goodridge, Travis Fulton, & Seth Petruzelli) dwarf anything the Bean has ever done in MMA. Heck, even a guy like Tony Ruiz (12-11) would likely wreck all the Bean’s victims.

Here is some food for tought, Crocop vs. Randleman.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RvLz0wCCXaw

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
Here is some food for tought, Crocop vs. Randleman.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RvLz0wCCXaw

[/quote]

I hate how everyone brings up this fight when they talk about Cro Cop. Yes, Cro Cop can be knocked out and flukes happen. But Cro Cop was still new to the MMA game at the time of that fight, and had only several months of serious grappling training.

Kevin Randleman is one of the freakiest strongest wrestlers ever to compete in MMA, and it’s obvious that Mirko was so afraid of the takedown that he gave Randleman’s standup no respect. Shit, no one had ever seen Randleman throw a punch like that before. Sanchez fancies himself a stand up fighter, and brings no element of his game to distract Cro Cop like Randleman did.

Mirko is so far beyond the fighter he was at that time. Hell, 6 months after that fight he tapped Randleman in 60 seconds.

[quote]DrVonNostrand wrote:
How’s NSAC sanctioning this over Hunt v Bean?

[/quote]

I so wanted to see Hunt explode Butterbeans knee with low kicks. Apparently Pride wants to still make the match happen somewhere.

UFC’s web site said Sanchez is a stricker which is not good for him, he will want to stand with Cro Cop and in doing so get his head taken off.

Two words: stepping stone.

Its just like anderson silvas fight before he fought rich franklen(btw what a waist of money).

Saw this on Sherdog translated by Prednik, good read:

Hi folks. I didn’t see that anybody posted this here. I’m sorry if somebody already did it, but I wasn’t able to find it. Mirko gave a statement to the Croatian newspapers on Dec 31.

Link:

http://www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom...09010/index.do

I translated just Mirko’s words, since the rest is well-known, old stuff:

"I traveled to Japan as many as 42 times and it’s the time for a change. I will always be grateful to the Japanese because I made my name in PRIDE’s ring, and especially to the president of the DSE company Sakakibara and the fight organizer Takada. I am aware that my decision affected many of my fans, but I am going toward new challenges.

I let the PRIDE officials know that I had an offer in advance. They maybe thought that I wouldn’t leave, but my decision was final.

I am happy that now I’m going to have support of Croats in the US. In Japan, there aren’t that many Croats. It’s nice to see when people in Croatian T-shirts with Croatian flags are supporting you."

Regarding the octagon, Mirko said the following:

“Compared to the ring, it looks to me like a soccer field.”

When asked about the quality of the UFC fighters, he said that he most respects Chuck and Randy. He also said this about the current UFC heavyweights:

“When it comes to the fighting style, I like Arlovski, who is quick and technical. The champ Sylvia is not that attractive, but is very tough and bold, also having a knockout-power hand. He is thus very dangerous.”

He said that he most regrets that his rematch with Fedor didn’t happen:

“I would love an opportunity for the rematch more than anything else. Had my leg been healthy, we would have fought maybe on the NYE. But I believe that the rematch will happen sometime; either under the UFC’s roof, or - which I would love to see - if PRIDE and UFC make the fight happen together.”

The newspaper also mentions the following statement of Sakakibara (without source):

“Mirko didn’t finish his job with Fedor and Noguera, and we thus hope that he will come back one day with the UFC belt and challenge our champion.”

Awesome new highlight of Mirko. Long, but incredible footage. One of the best HL’s I have ever seen.

http://www.dailymotion.com/desko-unlmtd/video/xvfih_cc-to-the-top