T Nation

Crockpot- What Do You Make In It?

so far ive tried making a beed roast in it and it tastes not good. as in i dont want to eat it now!

what do you guys make in it and how? i wonder if people tried making mass eggs in it

I have roast beef cooking in mine as we speak and it will be ready to eat when I get home after work.Thats about all we cook in it.

Chili

I make a dish called Italian beef that I learned from my mom.

Use any cut of roast (rump, chuck, etc), sea salt, pepper, italian seasoning (or make your own- oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion poweder, thyme, rosmary) and add a small cup of water. Cook for 4-8 hours on low. The roast should fall apart. Pretty easy.

My parents eat it on french bread with parmesan cheese and the au jus. I just have it in a bowl.

Crock-pots and my grill are my favorite appliances.

Pot roast
chilli
tomato sauces
seafood stews
pork chops, stuffed loin, tenderloin
sausages and cabbage
Asian Beef (for broccoli beef)

The list is pretty endless although beef is the one thing I really don’t think turns out too well. It really depends on how much you are going to be around as to what is limiting you. If you want to add everything in the morning and eat when you get home from work–that limits what you can cook well. Personally over the winter on the weekend I will start something in the morning and just keep adding items throughout the day–Jambalya works well like this because you want to add items in stages so they each have different cooking times.

You can also make steel cut oats for the morning. Steel cut oats are pretty good but take forever to make.

Place a scoop of oats in a cermanic bowl and add water (I don’t measure anything). Place the bowl in the crock pot. Add water to the crockpot around the bowl. The crockpot water level should be close to the liquid and oats in the bowl. Cook on low overnight. Season in the morning with whatever you choose and enjoy.

chicken breasts + salsa + bbq sauce

or

lil smokies + grape jelly + chili sauce + enough water to cook it in

Italian sausage and peppers are easy:

Italian pork/chicken sausage (I purchase at Whole foods to avoid nitrates)
Sliced Onion
Sliced Green peppers
Stewed tomatos
Italian seasoning to taste

Again, eat on bread with parmesan or out of a bowl.

I have done an entire rotisserie chicken:

I place the chicken on top of balls of foil though to keep it from touching the crockpot and elevate it to prevent cooking in its juices. You can save the juices (essentially fat) to start a broth for soup.

That website should give you some ideas. You have to alter the recipes slightly for those concerned with strength and performance.

[quote]Tim_D wrote:
You can also make steel cut oats for the morning. Steel cut oats are pretty good but take forever to make.

Place a scoop of oats in a cermanic bowl and add water (I don’t measure anything). Place the bowl in the crock pot. Add water to the crockpot around the bowl. The crockpot water level should be close to the liquid and oats in the bowl. Cook on low overnight. Season in the morning with whatever you choose and enjoy.[/quote]

OR you could boil some water the night before, add the oats, stir, cover, return to boil, take off the burner, turn off the burner, turn off the lights, and go to bed. Season in the morning with whatever you choose and enjoy. No crock pot needed.

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:

seafood stews

[quote]

BigJawn,

I’m curious about these. Any details? Thanks.

BigJawn,

I’m curious about these. Any details? Thanks.

seafood stews

[/quote]

Pot roast
[/quote]

Yup, I have to agree! I usually make Pot Roast and Ox Tail Stew with veggies.

Chicken breasts or thighs or legs with lemon juice, celery, red bell pepper, 2 cups rice and there you go.

chicken adobo
1 whole chicken (cut into eighths)
1 whole garlic (chopped)
olive oil or vegetable/corn oil
1 tsp ground black pepper
4 whole black pepper cloves
3 dried bay leaves
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup vinegar

all together in the crock pot.

chicken cacciatore
3-4 lbs boneless/skinless thighs and breasts
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 large red or green bell peppers, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon each basil and oregano
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 8 oz can stewed tomatoes with chiles
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups burgundy wine
Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling before serving
Place sliced onions on bottom of crock pot. Add chicken.
Stir together remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.

Cook on low 7-9 hours or high 3-4 hours. Serve over pasta, with a salad on the side

Chicken Picante
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts (1/2 inch slices)
3/4 c. chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/4 c. chicken broth
1 c. med. picante sauce
1 c. converted rice

I think roasts are great in the crockpot and a great way to make slow cooked pulled pork

Soups are great

the damn thing does everything

This post as well as OctoberGirl inspired me. I have a dish similar to her Chicken Cacciatore cooking in the crockpot at home right now.

I left out the tomato paste and the wine (and like I said before, I don’t measure anything so every dinner is a bit of a surprise). I also added black olives and artichoke hearts. I plan to add some half and half to make an alfredo tomato sauce (and increase the fat content) before serving.

It should be some good eating tonight!

I usually make some crocks…and some pot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry I was useless.

Easy Pulled Pork

1 boston butt of pork
1 sliced onion
salt + pepper
1/4 cup water

cook on low for 8-10 hours. shred it up with a couple of forks. toss in some bbq sauce.

[quote]Tim_D wrote:
I have done an entire rotisserie chicken:

I place the chicken on top of balls of foil though to keep it from touching the crockpot and elevate it to prevent cooking in its juices. You can save the juices (essentially fat) to start a broth for soup.

That website should give you some ideas. You have to alter the recipes slightly for those concerned with strength and performance.[/quote]

Thanks for that link. That is a great blog and gave me some cool ideas.

Just wanted to give a bump to a good crockpot thread.

For those students who have a hard time cooking in bulk, the crockpot can be a godsend. If you look above you can find some good recipes, and that 365 blog is great, too, but it’s really hard to go wrong with one. Tonight I put a few pounds of frozen chicken breasts into mine, covered them with some olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper, then put it on high for 4 hours. They turned out quite nicely (just ate a couple).

This is such a cheap, foolproof way to cook a lot of good, quality meals, so take advantage of it!

that sounds yummy yerba. did the flavors penetrate into the meats or did it just coat the outside?

one problem i have is crockpot actually is kind of small, albeit convenient