T Nation

Crockpot Cooking

I’ve just bought a crockpot after hearing all the good things about them and plus I’ve just started a new job and I’m starting to slip with my eating habits.

So anyway I’m going to cook enough in the crockpot for a few days lunch, my question is after cooking the food I’m going to freeze it but I remember reading somewhere that you should let the food cool down first before freezing, I think to 41 degrees, to avoid any problems with bacterial growth and such. Anyone have any suggestions on what they did. Thanks

just let it cool to room temp and freeze that crap LOL if you like put in the fridge overnight and then freeze. Either way Ive never had a prob freezing food.

Phill

having worked at a grocery store and being forced to learn about all the departments including prepared foods and meat, I recall hearing that you should keep food out of the “Danger Zone”. The danger zone is something like 50-100 degrees F.

The longer the food is kept in this zone the faster that the bacteria will multiply which increases your risk for “food borne illnesses”. So if I am remembering everything correctly you should freeze all leftovers ASAP to avoid illnesses.

That ‘zone’ is 40-150. Let food cool to about room temp before going in the fridge or freezer. if it’s something like soup or stew, you can speed the process by throwing a sealed baggie of ice cubes in it. Also, leave a bit of room in containers that are going in the freezer, the food will expand.

Chris

[quote]Soccerstr078 wrote:
having worked at a grocery store and being forced to learn about all the departments including prepared foods and meat, I recall hearing that you should keep food out of the “Danger Zone”. The danger zone is something like 50-100 degrees F.

The longer the food is kept in this zone the faster that the bacteria will multiply which increases your risk for “food borne illnesses”. So if I am remembering everything correctly you should freeze all leftovers ASAP to avoid illnesses.[/quote]

This is correct. Not sure about the exact food danger zone temperature though.

Allowing the food to cool before putting it in the freezer, as I understand it, is an idea passed down from generation to generation from when “iceboxes” or refrigerators could not recover easily from the high heat product being placed in the cool environment. Such as cooling a pie on the window sill before refrigerating.

Today’s modern refrigerators are fully capable of recovering from placing a hot product in them. this will bring the food past the “danger zone” as quickly as possible.

What they said. Plus, get yourself some crockpot liners. This will make cleaning up a snap. Cleaning the crock pot sucks. This is just pick up and throw away. Most grocery stores have them.