T Nation

Cro Cop Out of Pride

www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom/sports/more/604977/
index.do

Cro Cop has pulled out of the OWGP. From the translation I was given, DSE could not afford to pay Cro Cop his contract price for both fights and afford to pay him the prize money if he were to win. Cro Cop says this is unacceptable after the support he’s given the company, and he will accept an offer to fight in the USA.

Terrible news for the OWGP and Pride. The impact of the FujiTV deal is now showing up. Losing Sakuraba and now Mirko, Pride’s two biggest stars, is going to be devastating.

OK, apparently Mirko is on a fight-to-fight contract with Pride. When they sat down to negotiate the new Final Conflict contract DSE would only pay Mirko for one fight, even if he made it to the second fight. Mirko said this is unacceptable for the risks he must take and he has left training and went to his vacation house. It might be a scare tactic to leverage Pride, who knows.

But he states very clearly that the WFA has offered him more money than he gets in Pride now, and that he made more money in K-1. So he is exploring other options.

Roman Zentsov is rumored to be his replacement for the time being.

More news:

http://completevaletudoaccess.blogspot.com/2006/08/crocop-out-of-pride-910-openweight.html

Damn, I was really looking forward to CroCop kicking Silva’s head off

Damn, that just ruined my morning. I really hope they can work something out.

I wonder what the details are. I read that he is not satisfied with the win bonus for winning the OWGP. That is 150000 dollars. Of course he gets paid for fighting Silva. So he does not get paid for the second fight, but if he wins the OWGP he gets the 150000 dollars plus his salary for fighting Silva. If I understand correctly he wants money for Silva, Barnett/Nogueira and the 150000 dollars. I do not understand. He would have known this, no?
Is he trying to get leverage? I believe if he said he was going to fight he should fight. If he goes to the WFA who will he fight? I thought he wanted to become Pride HW champion. He has not avenged his loss to Nogueira and has not beaten Fedor. If this is truly only about money and he does leave even though he said he would fight it is not good. He should honor his commitment.

He has no commitment to honor if he doesn’t have a contract. I feel Pride/DSE are the ones fucking up if they don’t have him signed by the time the Grand Prix rolls around.

This is a huge letdown as this is probably the fight I’ve been looking forward to most out’ve the final rounds.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
He has no commitment to honor if he doesn’t have a contract. I feel Pride/DSE are the ones fucking up if they don’t have him signed by the time the Grand Prix rolls around.

This is a huge letdown as this is probably the fight I’ve been looking forward to most out’ve the final rounds.[/quote]

He put himself into the OWGP. The win bonus for winning the OWGP was known to all. If Silva, Barnett, Nogueira have no problem with it why does Mirko?
I feel he does have a commitment to honor what he said. Yes not in a legal sense. He has fought in Japan nearly his whole professional career, he should know how things are done in Japan. It is a tournament. You get paid to appear and your first fight. If you win the tournament you get the tournament check. Does he want his salary for both fights and the tournament check? Even if he loses his second fight? The tournament is an opportunity to get a shot at the heavyweight championship. So he does not really want it.

[quote]otoko wrote:
slimjim wrote:

This is a huge letdown as this is probably the fight I’ve been looking forward to most out’ve the final rounds.

He put himself into the OWGP. The win bonus for winning the OWGP was known to all. If Silva, Barnett, Nogueira have no problem with it why does Mirko?
I feel he does have a commitment to honor what he said. Yes not in a legal sense. He has fought in Japan nearly his whole professional career, he should know how things are done in Japan. It is a tournament. You get paid to appear and your first fight. If you win the tournament you get the tournament check. Does he want his salary for both fights and the tournament check? Even if he loses his second fight? The tournament is an opportunity to get a shot at the heavyweight championship. So he does not really want it. [/quote]

I respect what you’re saying, and we are obviously debating something where we aren’t yet sure of the details, but I still feel that he is doing what he needs to for himself and his family which is far more important than anything we fans feel he should do.

What if he were to get hurt in that second match ending his career? He may garner your respect and a few pats on the back, but that won’t pay for his kids schooling and food. The HW championship may be something we as fans want to see him try for, but really he needs to do what will make him successful, I cannot fault a guy for trying to do what is best for his family.

Cro Cop not fighting is a disappointment yes, but what I’m really concerned about is DSE’s inability to pay their top fighters enough to keep them long term

First Saku, now Mirko, when both these guys were two of PRIDE’s biggest drawcards for years

Perhaps I’m overreacting, but I need my PRIDE! I truly hope that this is not the beginning of the end

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=17034

–Mirko Cro Cop has done at least two interviews with newspapers in Croatia saying he is pulling out of the Open Weight Grand Prix finals on 9/10, where he was scheduled to meet Wanderlei Silva in the first round. He claimed he’s stopping training and going on vacation tomorrow. Cro Cop said it was a financial dispute and that because if he beats Silva, he’ll have two fights in one night, he wants to be paid for two fights if he makes the finals. That’s the basis of the dispute. He’s giving the indication that if this isn’t solved, he probably won’t fight in Pride any longer and noted he has a big money offer from the WFA. Pride officials say this isn’t the first time Cro Cop has gone public with threats to change his deal and at this point they consider it a public contract renegotiation ploy.

I have a feeling Mirko is going to get his money. It won’t earn him much favor from DSE but I honestly believe we will see him on 9/10.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
otoko wrote:
slimjim wrote:

I feel he does have a commitment to honor what he said. Yes not in a legal sense. He has fought in Japan nearly his whole professional career, he should know how things are done in Japan. It is a tournament. You get paid to appear and your first fight. If you win the tournament you get the tournament check. Does he want his salary for both fights and the tournament check? Even if he loses his second fight? The tournament is an opportunity to get a shot at the heavyweight championship. So he does not really want it.

I respect what you’re saying, and we are obviously debating something where we aren’t yet sure of the details, but I still feel that he is doing what he needs to for himself and his family which is far more important than anything we fans feel he should do.

What if he were to get hurt in that second match ending his career? He may garner your respect and a few pats on the back, but that won’t pay for his kids schooling and food. The HW championship may be something we as fans want to see him try for, but really he needs to do what will make him successful, I cannot fault a guy for trying to do what is best for his family.[/quote]

Yes I understand what you are saying. We do not know the details. What I am saying is the Japanese perspective. That sort of thing doesn’t fly here. If there is an injustice I understand.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=17034

–Mirko Cro Cop has done at least two interviews with newspapers in Croatia saying he is pulling out of the Open Weight Grand Prix finals on 9/10, where he was scheduled to meet Wanderlei Silva in the first round. He claimed he’s stopping training and going on vacation tomorrow. Cro Cop said it was a financial dispute and that because if he beats Silva, he’ll have two fights in one night, he wants to be paid for two fights if he makes the finals. That’s the basis of the dispute. He’s giving the indication that if this isn’t solved, he probably won’t fight in Pride any longer and noted he has a big money offer from the WFA. Pride officials say this isn’t the first time Cro Cop has gone public with threats to change his deal and at this point they consider it a public contract renegotiation ploy.

I have a feeling Mirko is going to get his money. It won’t earn him much favor from DSE but I honestly believe we will see him on 9/10.
[/quote]

Yes this makes sense. If it is strictly a renegotiation ploy I think he will get what he wants. Even though he has less leverage than say Fedor. Mirko is the third best HW(by win/loss to his fellow HWs). He goes to the WFA and fights nobody. He gets paid but does not achieve his professional goals.
This sort of ploy does not happen much in Japan in any professional sport or in any company.
I think Silva approached his situation much better. Mirko should have talked about it earlier. He has leverage now because he holds the OWGP hostage, though that is not the way to get things done. That is more a reflection of my value system though(and how things operate in Japan), not exactly how things operate in the global marketplace or in America.

[quote]otoko wrote:

Yes this makes sense. If it is strictly a renegotiation ploy I think he will get what he wants. Even though he has less leverage than say Fedor. Mirko is the third best HW(by win/loss to his fellow HWs). He goes to the WFA and fights nobody. He gets paid but does not achieve his professional goals.
This sort of ploy does not happen much in Japan in any professional sport or in any company.
I think Silva approached his situation much better. Mirko should have talked about it earlier. He has leverage now because he holds the OWGP hostage, though that is not the way to get things done. That is more a reflection of my value system though(and how things operate in Japan), not exactly how things operate in the global marketplace or in America.[/quote]

I agree. Silva handled his hold out much better, and did so at a time when he made no commitment to the tournament. It worked out for him because Fedor got hurt, and Silva ended up getting what he wanted. The fact that Cro Cop staged this in Croatian media seems to indicate that he’s trying to stage an uproar with his fan base to pressure DSE. Hopefully this gets sorted out, this is possibly the best line up ever for a Pride card. I’m more interested in CroCop-Silva than I am Silva-Lidell.

Mirko is back in the tournament, Pride has met his demands.

http://www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom/sports/more/605988/index.do

Cro Cop is a savvy businessman, but damn if he won’t look like an ass if Wandy beats him.

I really hope this gets sorted out as well as a Cro Cop/Silva rematch is something I am really looking forward to. With that said, I wonder how this will impact the fight. If Cro Cop really isn’t training right now what kind of condition will he be in when it comes time to fight? We know Silva will come in at his best possible condition, that is something he never lacks, and we also know conditioning has never been one of Cro Cops strengths. I think this whole negotiation ploy may actually work in Silva’s favor, at least in the ring.

I am happy they got everything settled…I don’t know how this will affect Crocops future in Pride, but at least the tournament will go on as planned. That was a potential disaster in the making right there.

Yea I was reading about this Soap Opera the other day. But hey, good for Cro Cop for getting his money. If it wasn’t settled, however, I would think Cro Cop would get a lot of shit for backing out of such an anticipated match-up.

Nice post Donut.

I wonder how the other fighters will take this? They were all in locked into contracts through the duration of the tournament. I wonder if Mirko basically got himself a deal that trumps everyone elses. I know I would be upset.

Good it is settled. I think from now on Mirko cannot expect any favors from DSE. Mirko better win then. If he loses he loses any more leverage he has.