T Nation

Critique Upper/Lower Routine

I was doing a shoulder/back/chest/leg bodysplit routine with compound and isolation exercises. I will experiment with an upper/lower routine with just compound exercises. Anything I should change?

Monday (upper/heavy)
bench 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets
weighted pullups wide grip 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets
dumbell rows 3 sets of 12
shoulder press barbell 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets

Tuesday (lower/light) rest 30-60 sec
back squat 3-10 reps 5-10 sets lower reps i focus on speed.
stiff leg deadlift or single leg deadlift 8-12 reps 3-5 sets (alternate with deadlift 8-12 reps 3-4 sets)
walking lunges 12-20 steps total 3 sets.

wednesday cardio

thursday (upper/light)rest 30-60 sec focus on speed
bench 3-5 reps 5-10 working sets
pullups wide grip 3-5 reps 5-10 working sets
shoulder press barbell 3-5 reps 5-10 working sets

friday (lower/heavy)
back squat 1-5 reps 5-10 sets
stiff leg deadlift or single leg deadlift 8-12 reps 3-5 sets
walking lunges 12-20 steps total 3 sets.

saturday cardio/rest

sunday cardio/rest

I like the exercises you’ve chosen.
Your set/rep range is wide open, ie 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets. So you are doing somewhere between 5 to 50 total reps for the exercise.

I say, try it out.

One thing you may want to try is antagonistic pairing (you’ll spend less time working out) and maybe alternating the position of main lifts for the day.

For example. On monday you have:

bench 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets
weighted pullups wide grip 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets
dumbell rows 3 sets of 12
shoulder press barbell 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets

You could do:

A1: Bench
A2: Dumbell Rows
B1: Shoulder Press
B2: Weighted pullups.

Then the next week you could do:

A1: Shoulder Press
A2: Weighted pullups
B1: Bench
B2: Dumbell Rows

This way you’re not prioritizing one lift over the other, unless you want to prioritize bench over press.

I personally like to do the pairings for my upper body, but don’t do it for my lower body workouts.

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
I like the exercises you’ve chosen.
Your set/rep range is wide open, ie 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets. So you are doing somewhere between 5 to 50 total reps for the exercise.[/quote]

I aim for most 5 reps on my heavy day and depending how I feel sets are stop in between 5-10. I dont reach 50 reps though.

I’ve already started on this and I like it. On my light day when I do light weights with low reps but with speed reps I do reach over 50 reps.

I’m fairly new with the term deloading. But after taking a little time off from lifting, I felt fresh lifting again. So my question is how I could I introduce deloading periods in the routine or if I even need one.

Thanks

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
One thing you may want to try is antagonistic pairing (you’ll spend less time working out) and maybe alternating the position of main lifts for the day.

For example. On monday you have:

bench 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets
weighted pullups wide grip 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets
dumbell rows 3 sets of 12
shoulder press barbell 1-5 reps 5-10 working sets

You could do:

A1: Bench
A2: Dumbell Rows
B1: Shoulder Press
B2: Weighted pullups.

Then the next week you could do:

A1: Shoulder Press
A2: Weighted pullups
B1: Bench
B2: Dumbell Rows

This way you’re not prioritizing one lift over the other, unless you want to prioritize bench over press.

I personally like to do the pairings for my upper body, but don’t do it for my lower body workouts. [/quote]
I’ll keep this in mind.

thanks everyone for responding

[quote]kinside wrote:
I’m fairly new with the term deloading. But after taking a little time off from lifting, I felt fresh lifting again. So my question is how I could I introduce deloading periods in the routine or if I even need one.

Thanks[/quote]

o trust you will be needing a deload, i would say the thing to do during a deload week is just go light to moderate weights

and i also noticed you dont have any pre hab work, i mean no face pulls or proprioception work, you could really hit other aspects that you feel you might not be hitting during the regular 3-5 weeks (if you want you can place your deload every 4th, 5th, or 6th week) you might also want to include a complex during your deload week, these are just a few ideas, but in the end do what works for you

good luck

[quote]young n wrote:

[quote]kinside wrote:
I’m fairly new with the term deloading. But after taking a little time off from lifting, I felt fresh lifting again. So my question is how I could I introduce deloading periods in the routine or if I even need one.

Thanks[/quote]

o trust you will be needing a deload, i would say the thing to do during a deload week is just go light to moderate weights

and i also noticed you dont have any pre hab work, i mean no face pulls or proprioception work, you could really hit other aspects that you feel you might not be hitting during the regular 3-5 weeks (if you want you can place your deload every 4th, 5th, or 6th week) you might also want to include a complex during your deload week, these are just a few ideas, but in the end do what works for you

good luck[/quote]

Good advice. I think every 4th week I’ll throw in a deload week. Thanks again.

something is better than nothing. I mean you got rows, bench, and a version of deads.