T Nation

Critique This Routine

Sunday - Speed Day For Bench

• Bench 8-10 sets 3 reps (50% 1 rep max, 1 minute between sets, explosive but controlled reps)
  • Front Presses 3 sets 3-5 reps (pick 1 shoulder exercise)
    Standing Front Press
    Dumbbell Presses
  • Tricep Movement - 1 exercise, reps 10-15, 1 minute between sets
    Dumbbell Extensions
    Pushdowns
    Skull Crushers
  • Upper Back Movement - 3 sets 10-12 reps
    Lat Pulldown
    Bent-Over Rows
    Cable Row
    1-Arm Dumbbell Row
  • Abs and Neck

Monday - Max Effort Day For Squat & Deadlift

• Max Effort Exercise - 1 exercise, work to 1 rep max, do not perform two exercises in a row
    Front Squat
    Pin Lockouts (at different heights)
    Hack Squat
    Barbell Squat (off a low or high box)
    Deadlift (off a platform)
    Arch-Back Good Mornings
    Stiff-Legs
    Belt Squat
  • Leg Curls 3-4 sets 5-7 reps
  • Lower Back Movement - switch every 3 weeks
    Stiff-Legs (not to be done when using as a max effort exercise)
    Hypers
    Reverse Hypers
  • Upper Back Movement - 3 sets 5-7 reps
    Lat Pulldown
    Bent-Over Rows
    Cable Row
    1-Arm Dumbbell Row
  • Biceps and Abs

Wednesday - Max Effort Day For Bench

• Max Effort Exercise - same directions as for max day squat and deadlift
    Floor Press (shown with one-arm)
    Decline Press
    Dumbbell For Reps
    Close-Grip Press
    Incline Press
  • Tricep Movement - pick two, reps 3-7; take longer between sets for optimal recovery, 3 sets
    Dumbbell Extensions
    Pushdowns
    Skull Crushers
  • Back Movement - reps 10-12 for 3 sets
    Lat Pulldown
    Bent-Over Rows
    Cable Row
    1-Arm Dumbbell Row
  • Abs and Neck

Friday - Speed For Squat

• Box Squats 2 reps with 50-60% of 1 rep max, 1 minute rest between sets
  • Leg Curls 3 sets 10 reps
  • Lower Back Movement - same exercise as Monday, but lighter and more reps
  • Shrugs 3 sets 10-15 reps as you can handle
  • Biceps and Abs

If you are going to use a "Westside" template this doesn't look too bad. There are a few things you should consider tweaking though.
1) Your list of ME exercises is pretty large. When I used a template like this I preferred to have an ME rotation of 4 or 5 exercises at the most. This allowed me to see what worked and I got back to the same exercise on a semi-regular basis. If you use the same rotation for a few cycles and you're not hitting PR's anymore, you could then change your ME exercises.
2) One of your BP days should include some heavy tricep exercises such as board presses instead of only doing extensions on both days. I always preferred to do the heavy tricep work on ME day so all my heavy work was on one day and I had a full week to recover from the heavy stuff.
3) I would do speed pulls after speed squats and drop the leg curls on DE SQ day.
4) On ME SQ day do your lower back movement before the leg curls. You don't want to compromise your heavy low back work by working hamstring isolation first.

Sunday - Your shoulders may not be able to handle a front pressing motion. Most people do rear delt work, because the front delts get a lot of work benching.

Monday - I'd can the hack squat and SLDL as ME movements. Hack squat doesn't really translate to powerlifting and SLDL are better as an accessory like you have them listed for lower back.

Wednesday - If you do two tricep exercises do one heavy and do the other lighter for higher reps. That seems to work better.

Friday - Add speed deadlifts after speed squats.

Do you have bands/chains for the speed work? It's rare for someone to feel they get a lot out of speed work without them. Also, I'd do horizontal rowing on bench days and vertical row on lower days. That'll keep it simple. Once you figure out where your weaknesses is, then you may want to tweak your accessories a bit. Example: if your bench is weak off the chest then do two rowing movements each bench day.

Thanks for you help. Im def going to add in what you guys said.

For the rowing exercises. Would Bent over BB rows be good for horizontal days and weighted pull ups for vertical days ?

Yeah, those would work.