Critique of My Program. Intermediate?

Hello.
Can you please tell me whether my new program is appropriate for an intermediate lifter (according to Rippetoe’s standards) in terms of frequency and recovery?

I am inexperienced when it comes to exercise order but after anaysing routines by Yates and Columbo I noticed patterns (pull ups and rows preceding deadlifts, etc.) which I tried to copy.

My older program: each body part is trained every 5 days.
Reps: 6X5 or 4X8
Routine is a Dorian Yates recommended template with my own content.

My new program: each body part is trained every 3 days.
Reps: 6X5 or 4X8

I thought that a novice can recover in 48 hours but I cannot do the overhead barbell press 2 days after incline benching at all; hence, it seems that 72 hours might be better as recommended by Westside Barbell.

I would appreciate an honest critique of the new program and whether you believe I should replace the older one with it.

Thank you

I dont see a program. I see a list of exercises.
Whats the progression model? Percentages or something? Anything?

1 Like
2 Likes

For example, on dumbbell bench press I train to failure with 4 sets of 8.
40kg/x = 50kg
x = 4/5
This means I am training at 80% of my 1 rm.

All compound lifts are about 80-85% of 1 RM. Not all lifts are taken to failure. Certain ones are 6X5 at 80% not to failure and some are 4X8 at 80% to failure.

The progression is to add 1-2 kg to all lifts whenever I can and do progressive overload.

Thanks.

So you are using a basic linear progression like people do who just start the gym? You said you are intermediate. I believe intermediate is a person who no longer can just add weight in a linear manner.

Anyways, i dont see much to critique - linear progression is the very first progression model everyone ever uses. Works well for beginners or undertrained people, i see nothing wrong with this if it still works for you.

1 Like

Maybe you should ask Coach Thibs about one of his routines.