Critique Needed for New Diet

I’m 5 10, 190, 12.4% bf. I’m looking to cut the fat back. Here’s a before & after sample for my diet, with regard to workout and non workout days:

workout days (Before):
3248 cals: 81g (22%) fat / 445g (50%) carbs / 189g (24%) protein

Workout days (Present):
3151 cals: 102g (29%) fat / 280g (33%) carbs / 269g (36%) protein

Non-workout (before)
2289 cals: 92g (36%) fat / 195g (31%) carbs / 172g (31%) protein

Non-Workout (present):
2582 cals: 118g (42%) fat / 117g (17%) carbs / 240g (40%) protein

My question is: On workout days is that still too many carbs?

Here’s a specific sample from a workout day:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal, 1.5 servings
Large Eggs, 5

Lunch 1:
Chicken Breast, 4 oz.

Snack 1:
Apple

Lunch 2:
Chicken Breast, 4 oz.

Snack 2:
Banana

Post Workout:
Cottage cheese, 8 oz.

Dinner:
12 oz. top round steak
1 cup string beans

Pre-Bed:
Olive Oil, 1 shot
Milk, 8 oz.

Tally:
2939 calories: 127g fat (39%) / 168g carbs (21%) / 240g Protein (40%)

How’s this look?

Also I need advice, should I broil my chicken lightly the night before, refrigerate it, then just nuke it for a few seconds at work?

I haven’t read any of your other posts so I don’t know what your goals are.

Can you post macronutrient split per meal. I don’t think you have 2900 calories in those meals.

Some things I don’t like:

1. Post workout meal is cottage cheese
  2. Snacks of an apple or bananna. Where is the protien in those meals?
  3. Pre-Bed I’d have more protein

I agree with ACTrain;
Outline goals. This is why…I’ll give you an example of meal timing but it might not flow with what goals you have in mind.

Protein needs to be consistent at each meal with any nutrition plan. That’s a given. Every 3 hours. What you pair with the protein will determine your results.

Immediate Post workout meal should be a
liquid protein/carb drink (like Surge Recovery) with a 2:1 pro/carb ratio, i.e. 25 grams protein for 50 grams carbs.

One hour following that drink, have a meal that’s low in fat/fiber (preferably zero in those) and contains an easily digested protein with high glycemic carbs, i.e. egg whites/white fish/chicken (not cottage cheese which is a casein-based, slow digesting protein) and paired with a high glycemic carb, i.e. white rice or white potatoes.

This protocal above would also depend on your goals. What I outlined may not be optimal if your trying to cut body fat…

This is why we’d need to know what you’re shooting for to help you out.

That’s a good point; I should be clearer about what my goals are. I’m 5 10, 190, 12.4% bf. I’m looking to cut the fat back. Here’s a before & after sample for my diet, with regard to workout and non workout days:

workout days (Before):
3248 cals: 81g (22%) fat / 445g (50%) carbs / 189g (24%) protein

Workout days (Present):
3151 cals: 102g (29%) fat / 280g (33%) carbs / 269g (36%) protein

Non-workout (before)
2289 cals: 92g (36%) fat / 195g (31%) carbs / 172g (31%) protein

Non-Workout (present):
2582 cals: 118g (42%) fat / 117g (17%) carbs / 240g (40%) protein

Now my question is: On workout days is that still too many carbs?

What is your height/weight right now?

And your goal? (bulk/maintain/cut)

The snacks are lacking, and I would guess that your not eating enough…but I’ll reserve judgment until you answer my questions…

[quote]B rocK wrote:
What is your height/weight right now?

And your goal? (bulk/maintain/cut)

The snacks are lacking, and I would guess that your not eating enough…but I’ll reserve judgment until you answer my questions…[/quote]

See the post above yours, I’m 5 10, 190, 12.4% bf, and want to lose some of the fat

At 5,10" 190, 12% it sounds as if you are trying to lose “The Last 10 Pounds” am I correct? You can see your abs in the morning and lose them after breakfast?

You have the right idea but needs some tweaking, that’s all. High cals on training days I am assuming those are maintenance numbers? If they are, you should put yourself in a deficit of maybe 300-500 cals a day. The low cals on non training days are fine. I would also suggest carb cycling. It appears as if you have this handled by your nutrient profile breakdown.

Just make sure your having protein at each meal (which is not represented in your meal layout). Limit your carbs to breakfast and post workout and have veggies at the other meals instead of starchy carbs. Keep healthy fats for afternoon to late evening and bed time snack.

Incorporate sprints or intervals 2 to 3 times a week, preferably on your off days. When you lift, shorten your rest periods to 30 seconds or less between sets but keep lifting as heavy as possible.

Get 8-9 hours of sleep. Drink green tea/water at each meal. Up the fish oil to 10 grams or more a day.

This and the other advice above should have you well on your way!

[quote]Viets wrote:
At 5,10" 190, 12% it sounds as if you are trying to lose “The Last 10 Pounds” am I correct? You can see your abs in the morning and lose them after breakfast?

You have the right idea but needs some tweaking, that’s all. High cals on training days I am assuming those are maintenance numbers? If they are, you should put yourself in a deficit of maybe 300-500 cals a day. The low cals on non training days are fine. I would also suggest carb cycling. It appears as if you have this handled by your nutrient profile breakdown.

Just make sure your having protein at each meal (which is not represented in your meal layout). Limit your carbs to breakfast and post workout and have veggies at the other meals instead of starchy carbs. Keep healthy fats for afternoon to late evening and bed time snack.

Incorporate sprints or intervals 2 to 3 times a week, preferably on your off days. When you lift, shorten your rest periods to 30 seconds or less between sets but keep lifting as heavy as possible.

Get 8-9 hours of sleep. Drink green tea/water at each meal. Up the fish oil to 10 grams or more a day.

This and the other advice above should have you well on your way![/quote]

great advice, thank you!

I’m not sure if it’s ‘the last 10 lbs’ or not. I have absolute rifts between my abs naturally so they’re always visible (thank you dad for those genetics) so it’s hard for me to judge where the fat really it.

Also, so you don’t think I’m too high on carbs on workout days? I limit them to breakfast and immediately after my workout now.

great advice, thank you!

I’m not sure if it’s ‘the last 10 lbs’ or not. I have absolute rifts between my abs naturally so they’re always visible (thank you dad for those genetics) so it’s hard for me to judge where the fat really it.

Also, so you don’t think I’m too high on carbs on workout days? I limit them to breakfast and immediately after my workout now.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

Also, so you don’t think I’m too high on carbs on workout days? I limit them to breakfast and immediately after my workout now. [/quote]

Wait so you have 280g carbs over two meals?
Are you an endo or an ecto?
Where is your pre-workout nutrition?
Also need to fix your post workout nutrition.

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

Also need to fix your post workout nutrition.[/quote]

Just a guess, but it sounds like he’s an ecto if he’s 5’10, 190, 12% and can see rifts in his abs. An endo would not have this luxury (as I am close to his stats and at 10% I cannot see ab definition b/c all my BF is in my lower abdominal region).

280g carbs over two meals is excessive. Trim that to 50g each at those two meals and if those are you’re only carb meals besides veggies, you’ll see progress. Keep the protein consistant…

I did not touch on pre wo nutrition above, but did outline what to do post workout. It’s what I’ve had good results with, moreso now that I’ve added Surge Recovery and then a meal one hour later (protein/high gi carb).

Pre workout I would recommend a low gi carb like a cup of oats or 4 oz yam or a cup of brown rice with some kind of animal flesh protein source, maybe an hour before you hit the gym. I like this method plus I’ve added Surge wo fuel, but fuel only seems to work for me when I’m doing intense circuit training, short rests, interval work. I skip it on my heavy squat, bench & dead lifting days.

Just my 2 cents…

[quote]Viets wrote:
egnatiosj wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

Also need to fix your post workout nutrition.

Just a guess, but it sounds like he’s an ecto if he’s 5’10, 190, 12% and can see rifts in his abs. An endo would not have this luxury (as I am close to his stats and at 10% I cannot see ab definition b/c all my BF is in my lower abdominal region).

280g carbs over two meals is excessive. Trim that to 50g each at those two meals and if those are you’re only carb meals besides veggies, you’ll see progress. Keep the protein consistant…

I did not touch on pre wo nutrition above, but did outline what to do post workout. It’s what I’ve had good results with, moreso now that I’ve added Surge Recovery and then a meal one hour later (protein/high gi carb).

Pre workout I would recommend a low gi carb like a cup of oats or 4 oz yam or a cup of brown rice with some kind of animal flesh protein source, maybe an hour before you hit the gym. I like this method plus I’ve added Surge wo fuel, but fuel only seems to work for me when I’m doing intense circuit training, short rests, interval work. I skip it on my heavy squat, bench & dead lifting days.

Just my 2 cents…
[/quote]

Hmm, well preworkout is really lunch 2, so it’s about 4 oz. of chicken or something along those lines. I sometimes move the banana before my workout as well. I’m also clearing old bags of vegetables out of my freezer this week. I’m going to be stocking up on spinach so that’ll drop overall carb numbers as I’m eating black-eyed peas and the like this week.