Critique My WSSB Routine

Hi, I started Westside for Skinny Bastards about two months ago. Since I started I rarely keep my routine the same from week to week. With the wealth of information available I always want to try new things. I want to post a sample of what I might do in a given week for critiques. Thanks

So far this week:

Monday MR upper body
10x3 bench 165lbs

3x10 incline dumbell press

superset 3x8 chins/dips

4x8 bent over barbell row 135lbs

3x8 barbell shrugs 155lbs

superset #2 3x8 chest supported hammer curls (lying face down on incline bench) and elbows out dumbell tricep press

dumbell Russian twists

Tuesday ME lowerbody

backsquats up to max rep of 3
I stopped at 225

Legpress (I know but I’m tall and it helps) 6x4 4 plates

RDL 4x8 135lbs

superset calf raises/machine

Today = REST

Plans for rest of week

Thursday

ME upperbody

ME bench 3 reps I stopped at 175 (not having a spot sucks)

5x5 standing military press 95lbs

superset 3x8 chest supported row 50lb DBs and dumbell flies 25lb DBs

superset 4x6 zottoman curls/overhead tricep extension 27.5lb/52.5lb

Friday dynamic lowerbody

8x2 box squats

3x15 kneeling squats (hip extension exercise)

3x8 bulgarian split squats (unilateral)

superset

a. 3x8 barbell shrugs (neck)
b. 3x8 RDL (light and slow for grip and flexibility)

calf raises

circuit ab training

That’s pretty much it except I do some abs on my rest days. Also sometimes I do two ME lower body days and sometimes I do a dynamic day. This week I was going to do kneeling squats and box squats on Tuesday but I got to the gym and couldn’t find a box so I decided to do ME instead.

Also right now I am doing 10x3 on my MR upperbody next week 10x4 and the week after 10x5 hopefully using the same weight each week. I choose to do a 5x5 with that weight on my second upperbody day. After this three week program I will go back to regular WSSB template.

I counted 32 sets on Monday alone - and that didn’t even include Russian Twists - and didn’t bother to go any further. Do you think that might be a bit much?

Yea it is pretty high volume. The extra sets can probably be accounted for by lagging body parts (ex. calves and shoulders/lats) and an overzealousness. I have become really excited about the sport. Right now I am not training in my other sport (brazlian jiu-jitsu) and am doing no cardio work. I am on summer vacation from school and take lots of naps. I figure I can get away with the extra sets for the summer then tone it back down when I’m training BJJ again and going to school.

I also want to add that I don’t normally do a 10x3 on Mondays I do the 3 sets MR. That would take it down 7 sets. I counted much less sets in the other days of the week as well. I train a little differently each week. I almost kind of take it day by day at this point depending on how I feel at the gym.

Just remember that Joe wrote this program the way he did for a reason. Your body has a limited recovery capacity; you cannot specialize on everything at once.

From my understanding, the ME days are not meant to be high volume days. They are meant to train the CNS to recruit more muscle fibres in the one lift, thereby increasing your maximal strength. The volume days allow you to build the extra muscle, then the ME days learn to recruit it more effectively.

[quote]Massif wrote:
From my understanding, the ME days are not meant to be high volume days. They are meant to train the CNS to recruit more muscle fibres in the one lift, thereby increasing your maximal strength. The volume days allow you to build the extra muscle, then the ME days learn to recruit it more effectively.[/quote]

I’m not completely sure but I think that the ME days for WSSB are higher volume than a normal Westside template. I’m pretty sure this is why you work up to a max of 3-5 reps so that it’s not as taxing on the nervous system.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Just remember that Joe wrote this program the way he did for a reason. Your body has a limited recovery capacity; you cannot specialize on everything at once.[/quote]

Thanks, this tells me that I should probably try to cut out the extra lifts for my lagging parts and try to keep it more centered around compound movements. Once I build up a decent core and a solid base I can worry about specifics more

[quote]TroyMcClure wrote:
I’m pretty sure this is why you work up to a max of 3-5 reps so that it’s not as taxing on the nervous system.
[/quote]

Look at what you just wrote - “a max of 3-5 reps”, not 10 set of 3-5 reps.

Also, in WS4SB, you have ONE supplemental exercise such as dumbell bench, etc. You have THREE (incline, dips and tricep press). You have 3 back exercises plus biceps instead of horizontal rowing and upper back work.

I’ve got a hugely different idea. Since WS4SB was such a kick ass program before you fucked with it, why don’t you do the original version? Or do you know better than DeFranco?

… Once I build up a decent core and a solid base I can worry about specifics more[/quote]

This is great thinking… I can’t say I’m much stronger then you but at your strength level its all about the basics. You are too weak to need to specialize just consider everything as lagging! Like you said now is the time to build a solid base, keep it simple and hit the big movements.

Also I don’t think 10x3-5 is bad for rep day just don’t push it to hard and I would really push the ME day like it is supposed to. By this I mean go for max effort on that day don’t base your weight off of what you did on the rep day.

and remember EC is smart take his advice

also just curious how long do those upper body days take? That would take me a long ass time to do all those exercises

Massif wrote:
From my understanding, the ME days are not meant to be high volume days. They are meant to train the CNS to recruit more muscle fibres in the one lift, thereby increasing your maximal strength. The volume days allow you to build the extra muscle, then the ME days learn to recruit it more effectively.

I’m not completely sure but I think that the ME days for WSSB are higher volume than a normal Westside template. I’m pretty sure this is why you work up to a max of 3-5 reps so that it’s not as taxing on the nervous system.
[/quote]

The 3-5 rep on ME day is for two reasons:

1. To get more volume
  2. People new to westside need more practice with the ME methods

Strain on ME days and always try to set a PR EVERY ME session

This is an answer that coach Defranco gives in his web site about the Max-Effort attmept for WS4SB.

“Work up to a max set” refers to the sets that you will perform before your max-effort attempt. This will be different for everyone, depending on your strength level. The stronger you are, the more sets it will take you to reach your max attempt. The rule of thumb is that if you’re a skinny bastard and you don’t possess great maximal strength, perform AT LEAST 4 warm-up sets before your max attempt. The higher volume of sets will help you to add muscle mass to your frame. For example, if you were going to “work up” to a 3-rep max on the bench press and your goal was 200 lbs., your warm-up would be as follows:

Set #1 - Bar X 5
Set #2 - 95 X 5
Set #3 - 115 X 3
Set #4 - 135 X 3
Set #5 - 165 X 2
Set #6 - 185 X 1
Max attempt set - 200 X 3

P.S. This plan works

jeez man a lot of volume… roid much?

Wow, I didn’t think it was THAT much volume. This pushes me to start a training log to see what my routines are like over long periods of time, because I switch it up so much. I know next week is going to be lighter.

It takes me between one to two hours to complete a routine. I obviously don’t roid, lol I’m a newbie. I’m really not doing anything else right now other than lifting 4 days a week and napping so I thought I could get away with this. I see bodybuilders at the gym who were there before I came and are still there when I leave hitting the weights. They are also there 6 days a week!

This is how my WS4SB plan is

MON
Max-effort upper body
Incline Bench
Set #1 - 95 X 5
Set #2 - 115 X 3
Set #3 - 135 X 3
Set #4 - 165 X 2
Set #5 - 185 X 1
Max attempt set - 205 X 3

Supplement Lift
Flat dumbbell bench press
4 sets of 6-10 reps

Seated cable rows
4 sets of 8-12 reps

Rope pulls to neck
3 sets of 8-12 reps

Incline DB curls
3 sets of 6-10 reps

Abs circuit

WEDS

Max Effort Lower body
Trap bar deadlift
Set #1 - 115 X 5
Set #2 - 135 X 3
Set #3 - 165 X 3
Set #4 - 185 X 2
Set #5 - 205 X 1
Max attempt set - 215 X 3

Step up
3 sets of 8 reps

Leg curls
3 sets of 6 reps

FRI
REP Lift
Push ups
3 sets of max reps

Chin ups
4 sets of 8 reps

DB shoulder press
4 sets of 15 reps

BB curls
3 sets of 12 reps

Lying triceps ext
3 sets of 12 reps

On non training days I do 15 mins of HITT.

Now I do this workout every morning around 8:00 AM and it help me gain some pounds.

This is how my WS4SB plan is

MON
Max-effort upper body
Incline Bench
Set #1 - 95 X 5
Set #2 - 115 X 3
Set #3 - 135 X 3
Set #4 - 165 X 2
Set #5 - 185 X 1
Max attempt set - 205 X 3

Supplement Lift
Flat dumbbell bench press
4 sets of 6-10 reps

Seated cable rows
4 sets of 8-12 reps

Rope pulls to neck
3 sets of 8-12 reps

Incline DB curls
3 sets of 6-10 reps

Abs circuit

WEDS

Max Effort Lower body
Trap bar deadlift
Set #1 - 115 X 5
Set #2 - 135 X 3
Set #3 - 165 X 3
Set #4 - 185 X 2
Set #5 - 205 X 1
Max attempt set - 215 X 3

Step up
3 sets of 8 reps

Leg curls
3 sets of 6 reps

FRI
REP Lift
Push ups
3 sets of max reps

Chin ups
4 sets of 8 reps

DB shoulder press
4 sets of 15 reps

BB curls
3 sets of 12 reps

Lying triceps ext
3 sets of 12 reps

On non training days I do 15 mins of HITT.

Now I do this workout every morning around 8:00 AM and it helped me gain some pounds.

Wow, I didn’t think it was THAT much volume. This pushes me to start a training log to see what my routines are like over long periods of time, because I switch it up so much. I know next week is going to be lighter.

It takes me between one to two hours to complete a routine. I obviously don’t roid, lol I’m a newbie. I’m really not doing anything else right now other than lifting 4 days a week and napping so I thought I could get away with this. I see bodybuilders at the gym who were there before I came and are still there when I leave hitting the weights. They are also there 6 days a week![/quote]

stick with it the way its written, and I mean stick with it! You called yourself a newbie so you need to actually stick with a program for awhile to see good results. I know WSSB offers alot of variety but this does not meen you need to or even should change things every time you go into the gym.

Also keep your lifting closer to an hour if at all possible. Just because you see some guys in the gym longer doesnt make it right.

This program is well thought out and time tested to plan old WORK! Quit fucking with it and you will get better results

Also you don’t have a training log? How can you do this program without a training log? You should be setting PR’s (personal records) every time you set foot in the gym, be it a new max on ME day or more reps on RE day. Without a log are you just trying to remember this stuff?

Yea I need a log. It’s only been two months so far and I haven’t felt the need. I can remember all my PRs and even what I did in the gym last week. I should be keeping a log though along with pics and measurements to record my progress.

[quote]Massif wrote:
TroyMcClure wrote:
I’m pretty sure this is why you work up to a max of 3-5 reps so that it’s not as taxing on the nervous system.

Look at what you just wrote - “a max of 3-5 reps”, not 10 set of 3-5 reps.

Also, in WS4SB, you have ONE supplemental exercise such as dumbell bench, etc. You have THREE (incline, dips and tricep press). You have 3 back exercises plus biceps instead of horizontal rowing and upper back work.

I’ve got a hugely different idea. Since WS4SB was such a kick ass program before you fucked with it, why don’t you do the original version? Or do you know better than DeFranco?[/quote]

Like I said I added the 10x3-5 in only for the next 3 weeks to break through a plateau and bring my bench numbers up. After that it’s back to the normal WS4SB template. I think you are over counting the suplemental lifts as well. Most of the routine is straight from WS4SB except the 10x3-5 bench which is temporary and some other exercises that I added in which I will probably end up removing some of

Like I said I added the 10x3-5 in only for the next 3 weeks to break through a plateau and bring my bench numbers up. After that it’s back to the normal WS4SB template. I think you are over counting the suplemental lifts as well. Most of the routine is straight from WS4SB except the 10x3-5 bench which is temporary and some other exercises that I added in which I will probably end up removing some of
[/quote]

You say you have hit a plateau… how have you been rotating your ME work and How have been executing your ME movement (it sounds like you havent been actaully taking it to a true max effort)