Critique My Workout

heres my work out routine tell me what you guys think feel free to add or remove anything. all of them i do 3 sets of 12.

chest/back

widegrip pulldown
seated cable rows
bench press
incline dumbbell press
bentover dumbbell rows
standing t bar row
incline bench press

legs/triceps

seated leg xtentions
leg press
hack squat
squat
lying leg curl
rope pull down
single dummbell seated press
behind the neck dumbbell raise

shoulders/biceps

dumbbell shoulder press
dumbbell front raise
dumbbell lateral raise
barbell upright rows
bentover dumbbell rows
preacher curls
concentration curls
dumbbell bicep curls

Put the BIG moves first. Like the squat prior to the leg press etc. Try and move the BIG loads and move to the more isolated stuff as fatigue sets in

dont be affraid to Move some WEIGHT either lower rep then 12 as you learn good form etc.

Phill

How about some stats. Age, experience, goals. As far as excercises, no deadlifts? Good mornings? Cleans? Lunges? Dips? Chins?

This is a program right out of Flex, which is ok, if you were at the point where you could do all of these exercise with high intensity.

Below is a program. If you wont stick to a program at least similar to the one I have outlined below, your head is not in the right place. You need simple exercises that have a high ceiling for loading, compound movements, and I would imagine you need some work on your form as well. Once you make good progress on movements like this you will be ready to add some extra work in, but not before. If you dont change your program to mirror something like this you have got some maturing to do and you are not ready to hear what Im saying, and it might take a year or two to become noticeable.

I am assuming your goals are to increase muscle mass and strength.

Check this out:

Day1- Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift
Pronated Inverted Row

Day2- Squat
Bench Press
Power Clean

Day3- Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift
Supinated Pullup

repeat… For the Squat, Bench Press, and overhead Press do not fatigue yourself with the warmup sets. Do sets of no more than 5 reps for the warmup sets. Work your way up to 3 challenging 6 rep sets.

For the deadlift work your way up to a challenging 6, 6, and 6 rep set but start out lighter making your last set the most difficult by far.

Do 4 sets of 5 for the power clean and do 3 sets of as many reps as you can get for the inverted row and pullup.

This is a program you can progress on.

[quote]animalmj wrote:
How about some stats. Age, experience, goals. As far as excercises, no deadlifts? Good mornings? Cleans? Lunges? Dips? Chins?[/quote]

30years old i’ve only been lifting for about 6 months. i’m 6’6 275 lbs 28%bf. i’m trying to build mass and get cut. what days should i add those exercises? should i reomve anything from mine?

It seems like you are doing a lot of similar exercises in one workout session. For example, on chest/back day you are performing both an incline bench press and an incline dumbell press. There is no need to do this if you are performing one of the two lifts with the most weight you are capable of lifting for twelve reps with maximum intensity.

In other words, you are probably leaving some gas in the tank to perform the second exercise when should be running to empty on the first.

I also am not the biggest fan of 3x12, but if you work out with enough intensity and the right weight you should see plenty of gains regardless.

You should do Shadowzz Program verbatum instead of the one you mentioned. It’s simple, it’s heavy, it’ll make you work, and make you stronger. It’ll give you a leaner harder look in no time. You’re still too much of a beginner to get much benefit out of any lift with the word “curl” in it.

[quote]RSarin wrote:
You should do Shadowzz Program verbatum instead of the one you mentioned. It’s simple, it’s heavy, it’ll make you work, and make you stronger. It’ll give you a leaner harder look in no time. You’re still too much of a beginner to get much benefit out of any lift with the word “curl” in it. [/quote]

Agreed. As a beginner, you’re going to see dramatic gains if you use a proven program. If you don’t like the one Shadowzz has provided, use the search function and chose one that best suites your main goal, and follow it to a T. At this point, you are too inexperienced to write your own program, IMO.

Given that you are pretty tall and fairly heavy and cant do a pullup, I would switch to an overhand lat pulldown instead of the pullups I mentioned. You should still be able to do an inverted row, just find the right bar height.

Deadlift in a cage and set the pin height where you can still keep a neutral low back. Work on your squatting form. Probably need to stretch your hamstrings and glutes and maybe hip flexors extensively.

You may want to substitue split squats for squats every other workout until you have the flexibility to get the most out of them. Work on your flexibility, form, and just keep lifting and your body will feel better, look better, and work better in short time. Just be consistent.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
This is a program right out of Flex, which is ok, if you were at the point where you could do all of these exercise with high intensity.

Below is a program. If you wont stick to a program at least similar to the one I have outlined below, your head is not in the right place. You need simple exercises that have a high ceiling for loading, compound movements, and I would imagine you need some work on your form as well. Once you make good progress on movements like this you will be ready to add some extra work in, but not before. If you dont change your program to mirror something like this you have got some maturing to do and you are not ready to hear what Im saying, and it might take a year or two to become noticeable.

I am assuming your goals are to increase muscle mass and strength.

Check this out:

Day1- Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift
Pronated Inverted Row

Day2- Squat
Bench Press
Power Clean

Day3- Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift
Supinated Pullup

repeat… For the Squat, Bench Press, and overhead Press do not fatigue yourself with the warmup sets. Do sets of no more than 5 reps for the warmup sets. Work your way up to 3 challenging 6 rep sets.

For the deadlift work your way up to a challenging 6, 6, and 6 rep set but start out lighter making your last set the most difficult by far.

Do 4 sets of 5 for the power clean and do 3 sets of as many reps as you can get for the inverted row and pullup.

This is a program you can progress on.

[/quote]

thats only 2-3 exercises per day is that all i need to get big. that sounds alot easier then what i’m doing.

lol, no its not easy if you lift with intensity.

It’s three to four excersises a day, and you will be well on your way to getting big if you do them.

Just a question shadowzz, but what about overhead or front squats?

Yeah, don’t confuse simple with easy. It’s all about pushing yourself every training session.

[/quote]
thats only 2-3 exercises per day is that all i need to get big. that sounds alot easier then what i’m doing.[/quote]

Well its 3-4 exercises, and really it is all you need at first. Adding much more than this is a distraction, and could possibly hurt your progression.

The idea is this. These exercise work your entire body. When you have competence in these movements, you will be able to do pretty much any other movement from a flexibility/coordination standpoint.

Once you get your form down on these exercises, you will for awhile, be able to increase the amount of weight you are lifting every single day, more so on the lower body than the upper, but upper will get strong fast as well.

Doesnt sound very impressive? Well check this squatting progression out.

First you have to get the squat down, flexibility and all. Lets say you can squat well with 135 for 3 sets of 6.

Day1- 135
Day2- 140
Day3- 145
Day4- 150
Day5- 155
Day6- 160
Day7- 165
Day8- 170
Day9- 175
Day10-180
Day11-185
Day12-190
Day13-195
Day14-200
Day15-205
Day16-210
Day17-215
Day18-220
Day19-225
Day20-230

It is definitely possible that you could increase your strength that quickly. The most important part is that you are starting with a good squat. If you are starting with an ok squat and think you are going to work on it as you get stronger, it will not happen.

Now you should be doing what I layed out on monday, wednesday, and friday. And resting on the other days. Even if you dont get up to doing 230 in 7 weeks, you will be pretty close, given that you are in somewhat decent physical shape.

The gain in strength muscle coordination and confidence you will get on this program will pale in comparison to anything that is vastly different IMO. And most importantly you will understand lifting…

[quote]SwampThing wrote:
lol, no its not easy if you lift with intensity.

It’s three to four excersises a day, and you will be well on your way to getting big if you do them.

Just a question shadowzz, but what about overhead or front squats?[/quote]

If their is a specific reason to do them then front squats would be an ok substitution. Olympic lifters do high volume of front squats during the week with their lifts and they obviously get stronger. I would pick a lift and stick with it though, you want to focus on a few lifts and increase them.