Critique My Workout

I just got seperated from my wife and decided it’s time to get back in shape. I’m about 5’11"-6’ tall and weigh about 230. I was at 170-180 when I was in shape. A friend and I put together this workout. Something to consider is that I work almost forty hours between Friday-Sunday as a server in a restuarant. Just so you know, I haven’t eaten fast food or drank one soda in three weeks and haven’t drank any alcohol in two weeks. My diet has been cleaned up a lot. Also, I have been getting acustomed to waking up at 6am to workout.

Monday: High Intensity Cardio

Wednesday: High Intensity Cardio

Friday: Low Intensity Cardio

Tuesday, Thursday

*Tuesday:
Squats- 3x8 (My warm-up squat set is 9 reps, 3 bodyweight squats, 3 jump squats, 3 more BW squats back to back)

Bench press- 3x8, (9 rep BW warm-up of 3 push-ups, 3 clapping push-ups, 3 push-ups.)

Bent rows- 3x8. (Warm-up of about 6-8 reps with just the bar)

Rest about 1:00-1:30 between sets.

*Thursday:
Stiff-legged deadlifts- 3x8

OH/military/shoulder press- 3x8

lat pulldowns- 3x8 (until you can do 3x8 pull-ups)

Rest the same, warm-ups I’d just do a set of 6-8 with light weight.
Couple notes, the warm-up set doesn’t count toward the three “work” sets. For a cool down I’d do something similar to your basic warm-up only at a lower intensity and only for about 5 minutes. Then stretch 5-10 minutes and you’re done.

its great that you are motivated to work out, and putting into effort into any routine at this point would be good, but i suggest you look for a pre-made program on this site, something by Chad Waterbury would be a good idea. I suggest either ABBH I, or maybe Big Boy Basics. from there you can progress to workouts with a bit more volume, and increased frequency, but these would be a good place to start in my opinion, they may not look like much, but if your bust your balls and go all out, trust me, they will kick your ass. Best of luck getting through the divorce, hopefully the training will let you get rid of some stress. best of luck.

BTW, use the search function at the top of the page to find those programs, and i would also suggest reading atleast one article a day from random article button. and when you pick a program stick with it all the way out, this game is all about sticking with it.

That’s fine, just get your nutrition right and do cardio after weights. Keep progressing with the weights. You can rotate in excerices and change your rep-set scheme every 4 weeks. I.e. front squats for back squats, dips for bench etc.

List your goals, and the time frame to achieve them. Someone will chime in and let you know if this will work, or they’ll recommend something that will. You might want to list your diet, age, and previous training too.

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:
List your goals, and the time frame to achieve them. Someone will chime in and let you know if this will work, or they’ll recommend something that will. You might want to list your diet, age, and previous training too.[/quote]

I’m not really sure about the time frame. My goals are to lose the extra weight and put on some more muscle. Right now I am concerned with looking good. After I start being happier, I want to get into functional strength again. I’m 23 right now. No previous training. I was in basketball in highschool and lifted weights a lot. I would say I know more about nutrition and weight training than the average person, but not indepth. My diet is usually:
M-F:
Breakfast:
2 eggs, 1 piece of toasted wheat bread, 1 salad with lettuce, broccoli, mushrooms, not much cheese, boiled egg, a little dressing.

lunch and dinner:
1 sandwich(wheat bread, 1 piece of cheese, and varying meat), same salad breakfast.

Sat-Sun:
Chicken fajitas (fajita meat, onions, mushrooms, guacamole, rice, tortillas)

On M-F, I drink one glass of water and one glass of skim milk with every meal. On Sat-Sun I am at work so I eat what I wrote and only drink water…maybe sometimes milk. I have before pictures to help motivate me too. :S

Only 9 work sets per day for a total of 18 work sets per week? That’s not very much. In fact, you probably spend more time warming up than you do actually lifting.

I second the recommendation to follow a professionally made plan that can be found on this site.

I checked out the ABBH 1 workout. I liked it a lot. The only problem is I don’t know how to fit it with my schedule. I am free Monday-Friday to workout. On Saturday and Sunday, I really cannot workout at all. The gym opens late and closes early. Plus, I have to wait tables twelves hours a day. Any suggestions on how to adapt the workout for myself?

Also, should I try to focus on putting on muscle right now instead of cutting fat? I mean, I have an appetite from being fat and lazy, so I could keep up with bulking. Like I said earlier, I’m Six foot and around 230. I haven’t worked out in a long time so anything activity I do at all will cut some fat.

After reading some more threads on the site, I’m just wondering if I should go ahead and start trying to stack some muscle on right now and worry about cutting when I’m bigger.

[quote]Weakling 8 wrote:
Also, should I try to focus on putting on muscle right now instead of cutting fat? I mean, I have an appetite from being fat and lazy, so I could keep up with bulking. Like I said earlier, I’m Six foot and around 230. I haven’t worked out in a long time so anything activity I do at all will cut some fat.

After reading some more threads on the site, I’m just wondering if I should go ahead and start trying to stack some muscle on right now and worry about cutting when I’m bigger.[/quote]

Hey Hey Hey, relax.

First, really don’t pay attention to the term Bulking and Cutting, your not there.

Just concentrate on eating clean and working out hard, your body is going to build muscle and shed fat if you do both. Yes you can do both at the same time, adaption is amazing.

As long as you have a high intenisty in the gym and live and eat clean the results will come.

In fact it’s my experience that people who start off over weight seem to gain muscle quicker than skinny people.

Good luck!

What about adapting the TBT or ABBH to my schedule?