Critique My Workout

If you are 5’8", 160ish, a true 10% bodyfat, and squatting 200 lbs or less… I don’t think any of the “advanced hypertrophy protocols” are necessary or helpful. Or do you not really train legs and you have a freaky upper body?

Any exercise is better than none. But if progress is your goal, sticking with proven and simple principles will lead that direction.

3 Likes

Then you should quit, because the only non boring thing is actually progressing on lifts, not monkeying around doing who knows what

1 Like

Dude, you weigh less than I did at 14 years old. Stop worry about calves and hip thrusters. Instead, just focusing on benching, squatting, deadlifting, and pull-ups. If you could do the following, you would be big and strong:

Pullups: BW + 100lbs for 10 reps
Bench: 300 for atleast 5 reps
Deadlifts: 500 for atleast 5 reps and 400 for 20 reps
Squat: 400 for atleast 5 reps and 300 for 20 reps

Just spend your time on achieving those goals instead of “anabolic bursts” or whatever horse shit you came up. You will hit your entire body with these four lifts. You could even split it up like this:

Day 1: benching and pull-ups
Day 2: Squat (heavy) and deadlift (light)
Day 3: benching and pull-ups
Day 4: Deadlifting (heavy) and squatting (light)

Granted you’re sleeping and eating enough, if you do this for a full year, you will surpass your goal of 170lbs BW and no longer have to worry about phrases like “posterior chain.”

1 Like

For the sake of discussion, I have hit all of these but the pullups (ive done +90 for 10) and weigh only 180 at 6’0". My physique is above the average couch potato, but it isn’t startling or impressive.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m going to focus on 5/3/1 for 12 months and see where that takes me.

you’re freaky strong though, dude

1 Like

If you can presently do all of those and look just okay, then you have shitty genetics for building muscle. On the flip side, you are probably stronger than a lot of people.

My goals have never really been hypertrophy related. I wonder if a heavily eccentric focused and isolation focused routine would lead to some faster growth. I just find it so monotonous…