T Nation

Critique My Workout

After reading around the forum for a while, I decided to join finally, just wondered what you guys thought of my workout?

I'm trying to bulk. I am about 5'8 and very skinny, my BF% is in the single figures I reckon. Plus I have a very high metabolism (I'm hungry like an hour after a meal) but will save that for another thread!

I try to do a FB workout three times a week. Mon, Wed, Fri.

Deadlift.
Squat.
Bent over row.
Bench Press.
Pull ups.
Military press.
Dips.
Side planks.
Hip raises.
One-arm row.

All of these are 3 x 10 to failure.

Cheers.

[quote]The Young Lad wrote:
After reading around the forum for a while, I decided to join finally, just wondered what you guys thought of my workout?

I’m trying to bulk. I am about 5’8 and very skinny, my BF% is in the single figures I reckon. Plus I have a very high metabolism (I’m hungry like an hour after a meal) but will save that for another thread!

I try to do a FB workout three times a week. Mon, Wed, Fri.

Deadlift.
Squat.
Bent over row.
Bench Press.
Pull ups.
Military press.
Dips.
Side planks.
Hip raises.
One-arm row.

All of these are 3 x 10 to failure.

Cheers. [/quote]

split it up more, way too much for each day. Rippetoes might be for you. or WSFSB if you’ve been lifting for a while.

or try:
day one:
squats
bench press
bent over row
side planks

day two:
Deads
militaries
dips
chins
glute ham raise

Three:
squats
bench press
bent over row
side planks

every week switch the days you do bench/bent over row and chins/militaries. And 3x10 is over rated for everything. Someone else here will probably want to elaborate on that.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

split it up more, way too much for each day. Rippetoes might be for you. or WSFSB if you’ve been lifting for a while.

or try:
day one:
squats
bench press
bent over row
side planks

day two:
Deads
militaries
dips
chins
glute ham raise

Three:
squats
bench press
bent over row
side planks

every week switch the days you do bench/bent over row and chins/militaries. And 3x10 is over rated for everything. Someone else here will probably want to elaborate on that.[/quote]

Thanks for advice, will probably try that routine.

Not sure what Rippetoe or WSFSB is… Nah, haven’t been lifting for long at all, just a beginner.

thats starting strength by rippetoe, and pretty much 90% of what you need to know now about what to do in the gym

oh and eat a lot. muscle building is first about diet. remember that sumos have more muscle than weightlifters/powerlifters/bodybuilders and they dont do weight training… or they do a bit, in their own way i guess.

later you’ll probably need to go for higher reps than 5 but wait at least a year or 2 before you go for that

google Joe DeFranco then click the articles link on his site. It should take you right there.

Sumos have more muscle than powerlifters, bodybuilders and weightlifter, what is your basis for that.

I think Markus Ruhl has more muscle than a top sumo wrestler.

And there is no way that the Sumo wrestlers are going to be Mariousz Pudzianowski in the farmers walk.

And there is no way that a sumo wrestler is going to hang snatch more than an Olympian.

500lbs at 50%bodyfat = 250 lean
300 at 5% = 285 lean.

Oh, and good idea going with the Total Body training as a beginner, but too many exercises; listen to the other posts.

Now you just need to hit it hard for the next year, and see how much progress you can make.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Will take it on board.