T Nation

Critique My Workout Please

I’ve followed most of CW training programs, read some of the ‘make your own programs’ articles and thought i might try to make one myself.

This workout program is mostly based on the advanced german volume training program by CT but i put in and changed around some exercises.

Just wondering weather you guys could have a glance over to see if i’m not doing anything horribly bad.

The thing i’m most worried about is overtraining (although lately i’ve read that it is very hard to overtrain and it was just another myth) or working out a body part to much, therefore leading to injury.

Also some of the exercises i dont know the exact names so i tried to describe them as best i could

Also keep in mind that i workout in the garage and all i have is a bench, a high pully, bars and dumbbells

The tempo on the exercises follows CW’s recommendations: slow on the way down, explosive on the way up

Anyway program as follows:

Workout 1
A1 Deadlift
A2 Hack Squat
A1,A2 follows advanced GVT method:
10 sets of 5, 90 secs rest, increase wieght via GVT parameters

B1 Shrugs
B2 Lateral Raises
B1,B2 follows parameters: 4 sets of 6 (or 3 sets of 8), 60 secs rest, try increase wieght by 2.5 percent each workout

C1 Hammer Curls
C2 Close-Grip Bench press
C1,C2 follows same parameters as B1,B2

Workout 2
A1 Bench Press
A2 Bent-Over Barbell Rows

B1 Dips
B2 1-arm Dumbbell Row
B1,B2 follows parameters: 4 sets of 6 (or 3 sets of 8), 60 secs rest, try increase wieght by 2.5 percent each workout

C1 Pulley Crunch
C2 Forearm exercise:barbell hanging behind the back, curl upwards with forearms
C1,C2 parameters same as B1,B2

Workout 3
A1 Lat pulldown
A2 Push Press

B1 Dumbbell Bench Press (palms face inwards)
B2 Front squat (or overhead squat)

C1 Rear-Delt raises
C2 Reverse Forearm Curl
C1,C2 parameters: Same as B1,B2

Thanks to anyone who checks over this, its very much appreciated

looks pretty good…except you need some 1-leg work and external rotations.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
looks pretty good…except you need some 1-leg work and external rotations.[/quote]

Thanks alot for the reply. Although i havent put this down (sorry i forgot) i do cuban presses in my warmup for all workouts. But i’m not doing any 1-leg exercises at the moment. Should i just incorporate some lunges or something into my warmup?

Thanks againe for the help

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
looks pretty good…except you need some 1-leg work and external rotations.[/quote]

I agree and im not liking the first one DL/hack squat both are great movec but Both require a TON of attentio and enrgy. Maybe add the unilater move hearv something more quad dominant, Lunges or High step ups.

Thanks for the advice phill.

I tried my first Deadlift/hack squat combo the other day and it was very very hard. I found that my rest periods were gettin longer and longer but i find i’m actually looking forward to my next workout like that because the huge amount of work i have to do.

This is probaly just because its a new program and i’ll probaly switch the hack squats for lunges later on if my motivation towards that workout starts to drop.