Critique My Workout Plan

Oh yeah, of course. But Jim also says that too.

If you were using the 1rm calculator to measure progress I could see how you would be disappointed with the results you got running the program that way. I think one of Jim’s higher intensity programs with more time spent with the main lifts would be a better approach. This was more an accumulation block, so finding a way to measure work capacity would have been helpful.

2 Likes

this is completely incorrect, and a blanket statement that ignores a billion factors

3 Likes

Someone has never seen Dr Squat vs Platz…

My pleasure, happy to help @bazinga

I’ll post it on your log.

I find it very interesting that someone who won’t lift heavy for short reps because they’re too worried about injury risks actually can hit the 1RM of the conversion charts.

Doing it with the deadlift would be more accurate as a squat depth is more variable than a full lock out. No spotter help either.

1 Like

An increase of any RM is an improvement in strength. If you like lifting in the 6-10 range, cool.

The best plan is one you believe in and one that will keep you motivated.

I find it interesting that someone would post a compilation of lifts, reps, and sets, title the thread ‘critique my workout plan’ in the beginners forum, then proceed to argue with people who actually know something about lifting. Why even post the thread? There was no need to defend the initial post, lol. If you don’t like the advice given, don’t implement it. But it’s pretty irritating when a beginner who can’t even grasp the importance of progression in a weightlifting context argues with minutia, and wants to defend a shitty ‘program’. Bad attitudes are so much harder to fix than bad workout plans.

3 Likes

In all fairness @flipcollar the person who seems (to me anyway) to be defending shitty programs is Aero, while OP was pretty receptive to information.

4 Likes

you’re right, i missed bazinga’s last response where he did seem receptive.

I mostly ignore Aero, just in general. He’s quite stubborn, and doesn’t have any experience or knowledge I can learn from.

2 Likes

Only opinions from people who haven’t achieved anything and routinely (every six months) create a thread stating they can’t figure out why they can’t achieve the very thing they give others advice on.

4 Likes

I assume you’re talking about me.

I have a 2 year old son, I run a successful manufacturing company, I’m a competitive Strongman, I have a beautiful girlfriend, and i look fucking fantastic.

But yea, no life outside TNation :wink:

I literally only log on here during breaks at work. You’ll never see me post on weekends or evenings/nights. But hey, if it makes you feel better to describe me as such, go right on ahead with that. All I said was that I don’t have anything I can learn from you. Deal with it.

7 Likes

you’re a prick, and no one will be sorry to see you go. All you do is throw tantrums when people disagree with you, which is always, because your posts are terrible. Instead of just acknowledging they’re terrible and trying to actually learn something, you have a few stock responses like “you guys take this too seriously” or “this is all you have” etc. Very predictable and boring.

Goodbye forever, I hope.

3 Likes

If you want an simple workout that will give you results, try Starting Strength or Texas Method.
And if you have rest periodes of 5 minutes, man you’re wasting time.
The rest period should be short, keep it to the minimum necessary. Usually what works for most people is:
12+ reps = 45secs rest
8~12 reps = 60~90secs
5~8 reps = 90~120secs
3~5 reps = 90~150secs
1~3 reps = 150~300secs

Here is an example of how advice (inspired by the other thread) is not one size fits all. A guy at my gym, when I worked out at a gym, regularly rested longer than 5 minutes. Sometimes he rested up to 10 minutes. Then he’d bench 385+ for 5-6 reps or squat over 500 for reps. He swore by the longer rest periods, and was more “bodybuilder” than “powerlifter”.

I get that you are saying it works for most people. I’m not trying to single you out or rip on your opinion. I’m jus pointing out the differences individuals have, and the relative danger of giving absolute advice.

1 Like