Critique My Vertical Jump Program

Hey what’s goin on guys I’m new here, but not brand new to training. I’ve been working out since high school mainly for football. Right now my goal is to increase my vertical leap and get a little stronger along the way. I’m not to sure how to go about it since I’ve never really done a program to increase my hops. So hopefully you guys give can ge me some good advice.

You might want to throw some deadlifts in there. Maybe switch your Thursday squats for deadlifts?

It really isn’t going to probably make a huge deal for your vertical because imbalances don’t affect them as much. It would likely affect your speed some, though.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
You might want to throw some deadlifts in there. Maybe switch your Thursday squats for deadlifts?

It really isn’t going to probably make a huge deal for your vertical because imbalances don’t affect them as much. It would likely affect your speed some, though.[/quote]

makes sense

[quote]supermanchild wrote:
Eielson wrote:

It really isn’t going to probably make a huge deal for your vertical because imbalances don’t affect them as much. It would likely affect your speed some, though.

makes sense

[/quote]

I’m not an expert or anything, I’ve just seen several vertical jump programs and most of them involve some deadlifts, too. Honestly, almost any program I’ve seen has had deadlifts.

I would keep the high rep abs to tempo days, and increase reps on shoulder press. Maybe drop reps on some of your jumps.

I don’t think deadlifts weekly would work. Too hard on CNS. If you’re going to do them at all, maybe rotate them with hang cleans or something.

Your stats are way better than mine though, so I can’t really comment.

Eielson is right, deadlifting would help since vertical leap is more hip dominant than quad dominant. I would suggest some snatch type movements, as it has the highest carry-over to vertical leap. It simulates it better than any other Olympic lift. For a big vert you need 2 things. 1) A large amount of maximal strength and 2) a high force production rate (how fast you generate that maximal strength).

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Eielson is right, deadlifting would help since vertical leap is more hip dominant than quad dominant. I would suggest some snatch type movements, as it has the highest carry-over to vertical leap. It simulates it better than any other Olympic lift. For a big vert you need 2 things. 1) A large amount of maximal strength and 2) a high force production rate (how fast you generate that maximal strength). [/quote]

Which are accomplished by squats + jumps/sprints

I don’t think snatches are necessary.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
I would keep the high rep abs to tempo days, and increase reps on shoulder press. Maybe drop reps on some of your jumps.

I don’t think deadlifts weekly would work. Too hard on CNS. If you’re going to do them at all, maybe rotate them with hang cleans or something.

Your stats are way better than mine though, so I can’t really comment.[/quote]

Yea, changing the high rep abs to my tempo days makes a lot of sense and I’m thinking about dropping the low-depth jumps out of the program completely (well for the first 4 weeks). As for deadlifts, I don’t see a problem with substituting them in on Thursdays instead of squats. Especially since Monday and Thursday are my only high CNS days in the week. I should have more than time to recover between work-outs.

Anyways, here’s what I did today.
December 10, 2007

DYNAMIC WARM-UP
high knees, buttkickers, lunges, etc…

4 CONE JUMP
2 x 10

LOW SQUAT ANKLE JUMP
3 x 20

LUNGE JUMPS
3 x 10 each leg

1,2,3 JUMPS
3 x 5 each leg

LEG RAISES, MED. BALL ST-UPS, CABLE CRUNCHES
3 x 8, 12, 15

SQUATS
8 x 250lbs, 6 x 275lbs, 5 x 295lbs, 5 x 315lbs

BARBELL ROW
8 x 135lbs, 6 x 155lbs, 6 x 155lbs

BENCH PRESS
8 x 225lbs, 6 x 250lbs, 3 x 275lbs

GLUTE HAM RAISE
3 x 8

check out kelly baggett. I think that’s how you spell his name?

Agreed, The Vertical Jump Development Bible is the best thing I’ve read for VJ.
But if you manage to keep improving in the two aspects MaximusB mentioned it’s all you need to move your PB up, if you don’t change the technique. Simple as that.

[quote]vision1 wrote:

.[/quote]

I’m sorry but that’s absolute bullshit.

Deadlifts are only hard on the CNS if you’re training them to singles and triple maxes each week. Rotating ultra wide sumo pulls, conventional deadlifts and snatch grip pulls all 3x5-6 every 3 weeks with a one week deload between each 3 week wave will not fry your CNS.

I know guys who pull every week almost year round and just vary rep ranges and percentages and they’re all pulling over 3x bodyweight.

I blame westside for this deadlift every other week crap. People end up thinking the ONLY way to train your deadlift is to pull to maxes. Not true. This is absolutely not a dig at Louie cos he’s done more for the sport and training than probably anyone, but too many people are getting caught up on the bandwagon and not stopping to think for themselves.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
vision1 wrote:

I’m sorry but that’s absolute bullshit.

Deadlifts are only hard on the CNS if you’re training them to singles and triple maxes each week. Rotating ultra wide sumo pulls, conventional deadlifts and snatch grip pulls all 3x5-6 every 3 weeks with a one week deload between each 3 week wave will not fry your CNS.

I know guys who pull every week almost year round and just vary rep ranges and percentages and they’re all pulling over 3x bodyweight.

I blame westside for this deadlift every other week crap. People end up thinking the ONLY way to train your deadlift is to pull to maxes. Not true. This is absolutely not a dig at Louie cos he’s done more for the sport and training than probably anyone, but too many people are getting caught up on the bandwagon and not stopping to think for themselves.

[/quote]

I see what you’re saying, but I look at it differently.

Deadlifts fry your CNS MORE than squats. Since he only has 2 hi days, this probably isn’t a problem. But I see it as, if he keeps the squats, then it’ll allow him to do more jumping.

I wasn’t using westside as a source. It was Charlie Francis.

Hey what’s goin on guys I’m new here, but not brand new to training. I’ve been working out since high school mainly for football. Right now my goal is to increase my vertical leap and get a little stronger along the way. I’m not to sure how to go about it since I’ve never really done a program to increase my hops. So hopefully you guys give can ge me some good advice. Here’s a lil general info on my training background.

Height: 5’11"
Weight: 192 lbs
Bench: 325lbs (PB 365lbs)
Squat (ass to calfs): 455lbs (PB 495lbs)
Power Clean: 250lbs (PB 305lbs)
Vertical (no step): under 34" (PB 34")
Additional info: I’m a 2-foot jumper, I don’t get much higher if I’m running fast than If I only take take a step or two.

I’ve been doing a some reading and I’ve gathered tons of information from a lot of different sources. Now I’m trying to sift through it all and find out what will work for me. This is what I have so far for the first four weeks.

Monday and Thursday

PLYO
Dynamic warm-up: ie jogging, high knees, skipping etc
4 cone jump: 4 x 10
Lunge jumps: 3 x 10
Tuck jumps: 3 x 10
Low depth jump: 3 x 6

WEIGHTS
Squats: 4 x 6
Bench: 4 x 6
Barbell row: 4 x 6
GHR: 4 x 8
Abs: 200 reps (trunk flexion and hip flexion exercises)

Tuesday and Friday

TEMPO RUNS
4 x 4 x 60 yards @ 75% w/walk-back recovery btw sets

WEIGHTS
Shoulder press: 3 x 8
Bicep curls: 3 x 8
Shrugs: 3 x 8
Abs: 100 reps (trunk rotation exercises)

Wednesday and Saturday

BASKETBALL

Sunday

COMPLETELY OFF

[/quote]

For someone who has no idea what he’s doing thats not a bad program. Couple things I would do:

1. based on your numbers i would say that you are a strength dominant guy. I would change one of your squat days to jump squats, box jumps, sprints, or anything else that is more reactive in nature and keep your true squatting day to more of a maintenance day.

2. how intense are your BB games on wed and sat? if they are just shoot around then you are ok but if you are playing pretty seriously i would suggest 1 of 2 things either:

1. drop the dpeth jumps, lunge jumps, and tuck jumps from your lower body days or reduce the volume to 1 set or so. the BB games are more than enough jumping/reactive work to increase VJ.

2. don’t play as much BB.

Other than that it doesn’t look too bad. I would also suggest cycling your lifts every 3-6 weeks or so. Deadlifts and variations can be alternated with sqauts, etc. I would try to get in a single leg lift on one of the lower body days.

take an unloading week every 3-6 weeks to consolidate gains (this is when you will jump the highest). reduce volume and intensity for a week before jumping back into it. Typically you do these right before you change lifts, program focus, etc.

Make sure you run those tempo runs slow! NO LEG BURN!

Here’s how i would do it based on your numbers:

Monday

4 cone hop 3-4x10
lunge jumps 2-3x10
tuck jumps 3x8-10

Squats: 2-5 sets of 1-3 reps (maintain strength, don’t need to go to failure or anything)
Bench
Rows
GHR
Abs

Thursday

Side to side line jumps 3-4x10 sec
single leg box jumps 3x5/leg

*low Depth Jumps 6-8 sets of 1-2 reps
*Bulgarian Split Squats 2-3 x6-8
Bench
Rows
GHR
abs

[quote]diggers04 wrote:

For someone who has no idea what he’s doing thats not a bad program. Couple things I would do:

1. based on your numbers i would say that you are a strength dominant guy. I would change one of your squat days to jump squats, box jumps, sprints, or anything else that is more reactive in nature and keep your true squatting day to more of a maintenance day.

2. how intense are your BB games on wed and sat? if they are just shoot around then you are ok but if you are playing pretty seriously i would suggest 1 of 2 things either:

1. drop the dpeth jumps, lunge jumps, and tuck jumps from your lower body days or reduce the volume to 1 set or so. the BB games are more than enough jumping/reactive work to increase VJ.

Other than that it doesn’t look too bad. I would also suggest cycling your lifts every 3-6 weeks or so. Deadlifts and variations can be alternated with sqauts, etc. I would try to get in a single leg lift on one of the lower body days.

take an unloading week every 3-6 weeks to consolidate gains (this is when you will jump the highest). reduce volume and intensity for a week before jumping back into it. Typically you do these right before you change lifts, program focus, etc.

Monday

4 cone hop 3-4x10
lunge jumps 2-3x10
tuck jumps 3x8-10

Squats: 2-5 sets of 1-3 reps (maintain strength, don’t need to go to failure or anything)
Bench
Rows
GHR
Abs

Thursday

Bench
Rows
GHR
abs

[/quote]

Yea man, I’m definitely a strength dominant guy. My reactive ability is horrible and always has been. So improving that would definitely help my vert the most. Like I stated earlier my PB vertical was around 34". That was around the same time I was hitting my PB in the squat. Right now I’m around 31". I was thinkng for this first four weeks I could work on getting my strength levels back up, by lifting heavy and adding in some low intensity plyos. After that I was thinking of up the intensity of the plyos and just lift to maintain my strength. How does that sound?

Also the BB games are pretty low intensity and the tempo is around 75% so there’s no leg burn, just something to get my blood flowing and help me on my recovery days.

diggers04 wrote:

Monday

4 cone hop 3-4x10
lunge jumps 2-3x10
tuck jumps 3x8-10

Bench
Rows
GHR
Abs

Thursday

Bench
Rows
GHR
abs

Yea man, I’m definitely a strength dominant guy. My reactive ability is horrible and always has been. So improving that would definitely help my vert the most. Like I stated earlier my PB vertical was around 34". That was around the same time I was hitting my PB in the squat. Right now I’m around 31". I was thinkng for this first four weeks I could work on getting my strength levels back up, by lifting heavy and adding in some low intensity plyos. After that I was thinking of up the intensity of the plyos and just lift to maintain my strength. How does that sound?

Also the BB games are pretty low intensity and the tempo is around 75% so there’s no leg burn, just something to get my blood flowing and help me on my recovery days.

[/quote]

that would work. i still think that during a strength phase the BB games would be plenty to maintain your current level of movement efficiency and reactive ability. it probably won’t kill you to do low volume plyos though.

best way to tell is to go through it and see what happens. i wouldn’t expect any rapid VJ increase until you finish a reactive phase though.

i dont see what he needs a strength phase at all for. he squats 455lbs at 192lbs bodyweight. thats 2.3X bw. he really needs to just be doing power and reactive work. squat once aweek just to maintain strength. save the cns room for developing RFI.

thats what i think i mean im 6’0 196lbs. so were prob. similarly built and i squat 365lbs and have a 35" vert and run a 4.3-4.4 40. at his strength he could be blowing those #'s out.