Critique My Training Split

Hey everyone,

I have been lifting for about 2 years now and have shown some great results as well as falling in love with the sport.

My goals are a mix of strength and hypertrophy. Kind of a functional hypertrophy sort of goal.

Critique my training plan. Started this routine 2 weeks ago. I train 3 days a week, sometimes 4 if I can find more time. Mon - Wed - Fri mostly.

Monday: Chest, Back, Abs.
Bench Press - 4x8 heavy.
Bench Press - 2x15 lighter weight
Dumbbell flys - 3x12
Body Weight Dips - 3x10
Deadlift - 2x12 lighter weight
Deadlift - 4x6 HEAVY
Dumbbell one arm rows - 3x12
Upright rows - 3x12
AB routine

Wednesday: Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders
Standing Military Press - 4x10
Standing Dumbbell Curls - 3x10
Seated Dumbbell Curls - 3x10
Concentration Curls - 3x8
Standing Dumbbell Tricep Ext. - 3x12
Skullcrushers - 3x12
Close Grip Bench - 3x10
Standing front raises - 3x12
Standing lateral raises - 3x12
30/30’s (variation on EZ Curl Bar 21’s. 10-10-10) 3 sets
Cardio - 20 minutes on the eliptcal machine.

Friday: Legs and Abs
Barbbell Squats - 5x8/6
Romainian Deadlifts - 3x12
Leg Extentions - 3x15
Dumbbell Calve Raises - 3x15
Ab Routine
Cardio - 20 minutes on eliptical machine

I have a good home-gym. I work out from 4:30 pm to 5:45/6:00 pm.

Every other Friday I go to the local gym and do cable work. Lat pulldowns, close grip pulldowns, etc… in addition to the above Friday routine.

As you can see I am mixing up the low rep/heavy weight with the high rep/light weight methods. This is my attempt at functional hypertrophy as well as fat loss. I try to wait an average of 45 seconds between reps sometimes longer on the heavy deadlifts and squats.

So go ahead everyone. Let me know your thoughts.
You ahould also know that I am 6’5" tall and weight 275 lbs. I am down from 343 lbs 18 months ago.

TKC

Anybody ?

if it works for you, great. but you asked for critique so here it is.

Monday: Chest, Back, Abs.
Bench Press - 4x8 heavy.
Bench Press - 2x15 lighter weight
Dumbbell flys - 3x12
Body Weight Dips - 3x10
Deadlift - 2x12 lighter weight
Deadlift - 4x6 HEAVY
Dumbbell one arm rows - 3x12
Upright rows - 3x12
AB routine

that heavy going to light stuff is garbage. if you wanna do that, save the light stuff for the end… for the “burn out” if you believe in such a thing. id take out the flies and throw in dumbbell bench presses. id also take out upright rows and throw in some pullups. you can, do a pull up… right?

Wednesday: Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders
Standing Military Press - 4x10
Standing Dumbbell Curls - 3x10
Seated Dumbbell Curls - 3x10
Concentration Curls - 3x8
Standing Dumbbell Tricep Ext. - 3x12
Skullcrushers - 3x12
Close Grip Bench - 3x10
Standing front raises - 3x12
Standing lateral raises - 3x12
30/30’s (variation on EZ Curl Bar 21’s. 10-10-10) 3 sets
Cardio - 20 minutes on the eliptcal machine.

if you cant do pull ups, you need to revise this whole day. frankly and personally, i wouldnt touch something like your wednesday

Friday: Legs and Abs
Barbbell Squats - 5x8/6
Romainian Deadlifts - 3x12
Leg Extentions - 3x15
Dumbbell Calve Raises - 3x15
Ab Routine
Cardio - 20 minutes on eliptical machine

your leg routine lacks. it lacks volume, creativity, i dont even know what you can accomplish with this leg day. hypertrophy? hardly. fat loss? come on guy, you got a harder routine for your biceps.

well there it is. some harsh criticism. hope you enjoyed it. but like i said in the beginning, if its workin, keep doing it.

Alright. I appreciate the honest direct approach. I have learned to expect that here at T-Nation.

I would love some suggestions with the critique though. I can do pullups…just didn’t have a place to do so until today actually. My power rack arrived today. I will set it up tomorrow and be ready for some serious lifting now.

Anyway. Please explain your critique if you will. And perhaps a suggested 3 day training split. I love the olympic lifts…they seem to really pack on the muscle for me. Bench, Deadlift, Squat, and Military Press MUST be included in my weekly routine in some way. So I hear that you have a better approach for me, how about sharing.

Anyone else care to weigh in on my routine?

TKC