T Nation

Critique My Supps

I'm trying to slowly burn some fat whilst build some muscle, 6'1 240lbs, eating 1g protein per lb body weight, eating as clean as I can:

Whey Protein
Caffeine
Green Tea
BCAA's
Tribulus
CLA
Arginine

ZMA before bed.

(Not sure on some of the dosages as I'm at work and don't have the bottles with me)

Thanks in advvance.

[quote]BarryChuckle wrote:
I’m trying to slowly burn some fat whilst build some muscle, 6’1 240lbs, eating 1g protein per lb body weight, eating as clean as I can:

Whey Protein
Caffeine
Green Tea
BCAA’s
Tribulus
CLA
Arginine

ZMA before bed.

(Not sure on some of the dosages as I’m at work and don’t have the bottles with me)

Thanks in advvance.[/quote]

I don’t see anything that’s necessarily wrong as I’ve used all the supps you’ve listed in one form or another with success.

However, I’d simplify things and go with Flameout and HOT-ROX Extreme in addition to the protein and ZMA. I’d probably add Se7en as well since it’s always seemed to make a significant difference when it’s time for me to lean up.

IMO, this stack will be more effective assuming that you’re doing everything else right (which is a big assumption).

Well BarryChuckle,

It’s hard to critique the supps without knowing the dosages, when they’re used, how they ‘supplement’ your existing diet, etc. Are you a man or woman? How old are you? Any issues with hypertension? (you are taking caffeine and green tea, so this shit is important.)

I wouldn’t say, “I’m thinking about eating another apple after lunch, let me know if you think that will help me reach my antioxidant goals.”

I don’t know. I can recommend whey protein till my head explodes, but then if I find out you are taking 10 grams with your chocolate chip bagel and cream cheese and…you get the picture.

Ok, I’m done being a dick. Welcome to T-Nation!

ps… If I could only take one supplement and never have another, it would be a quality fish oil.

the only things i’ve ever taken is whey, glutamine, creatine, multivitamin, muscle milk, and weight gainer.
i’ll only stick with whey and multivitamin

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

I don’t see anything that’s necessarily wrong as I’ve used all the supps you’ve listed in one form or another with success.

However, I’d simplify things and go with Flameout and HOT-ROX Extreme in addition to the protein and ZMA. I’d probably add Se7en as well since it’s always seemed to make a significant difference when it’s time for me to lean up.

IMO, this stack will be more effective assuming that you’re doing everything else right (which is a big assumption). [/quote]

I’ll look into them, thanks.
Regarding me doing everything else right, I’m doing what I’d consider to be right, based on what I’ve picked up over the years from reading and experience, but I know what you mean :slight_smile:

JN7844, thanks for the early flaming, nice to get it out of the way early.

As I said, I haven’t got the doses to hand, but I’m 99.9% certain they’re what I’ve read I should be taking according to what I’ve read in magazines and on messageboards.

I’m 30, no underlying health problems, and as mentioned, eating cleanly, so no chocolate bagels for me.

I’m male, fortunately, a 6’1 240lbs female would be a bit of a beast, even for these boards.

Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated.

[quote]BarryChuckle wrote:
JN7844, thanks for the early flaming, nice to get it out of the way early.

As I said, I haven’t got the doses to hand, but I’m 99.9% certain they’re what I’ve read I should be taking according to what I’ve read in magazines and on messageboards.

I’m 30, no underlying health problems, and as mentioned, eating cleanly, so no chocolate bagels for me.

I’m male, fortunately, a 6’1 240lbs female would be a bit of a beast, even for these boards.

Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated.[/quote]

Sounds good. Onto your original question:

Whey protein should probably be a part of almost every bodybuilders diet. Unless you get enough protein from meat and other food, and most don’t, then it’s hard to go wrong here. (I’m assuming there are no allergies to whey for you.)

Caffeine - Again, dosages and when you’re taking it are key. Are you just taking a 200mg pill before working out for example.

Green Tea - From a general health perspective, you can’t go wrong. See today’s article for more.

BCAA’s - How much? When? I don’t think you can go wrong here. Personally, I don’t BCAA’s by themselves, as I’m comfortable with the amount I get from protein supplementation and the SURGE products.

Tribulus - I took the Biotest product for 3 months and the only noticable difference for me was increased libido (not that there’s anything wrong with that!). Perhaps it raised free testosterone levels? I’m not sure. If it seems to be working for you, go for it. Just make sure to cycle it properly.

CLA - Good stuff.

Arginine - No experience, therefore no opinion.

ZMA - I’ve been taking for a year now and have been very happy with the product. Lots of research here about ZMA and no negative sides.

Like I said before, get yourself some fish oil.

yes definitely Fish oil … that should be number one on the list

Thanks for the help guys.

Caffeine - I’m taking pre and post workout 200mg a time. Green Tea 315mg before and after too.

BCAA’s I take pre and post also, but only on workout days, the breakdown of them is:
L-Leucine 1200mg
L-Isoleucine 500mg
L-Valine 500mg

I’ll pick up some fish oil next time I’m out and about.

Thanks once again.

When i got my blood work done at the endocrinologist and i was taking ZMA, the head doctor told me that if you take ZMA for periods of more then 2 months straight your semen production will greatly drop and at some point you will become sterile. Is there any truth to that? I had take for about 4 months ( 1 month on 1 month off) and he said according to my bloodtest i was like 70% impotent. I dont know how they prove that but what do you all think about this.

http://infertility.health-info.org/male-infertility/male-infertility-improve-sperm-quality.html

in this article they mention Zinc as being critical for male sexual function. Thought this might help a little with the sperm quality, not sure about the ZMA combination having any negative effects.