Critique My Strength Workout

Hi guys I’m brand new to the forums nice to meet you all. I thought I’d share a workout that’s worked really well for me over the last few months . It’s very simple and a hybrid of the classic 5x5 Bill Starr workout. Please forgive me if I’ve ripped off someone it’s quite possible, but not intentional!

I’ve had a lot of success with this , it basically works by giving you confidence, if you can do 5 sets of 3 reps, you feel you’ll be able to get out 5 reps the following week as you only have to do 3 sets. The whole workout is as follows;

Mon 5x3
Squats
Overhead or bench press (your choice)
Bent over/Pendlay Rows (your choice)

Weds
Hang Clean
Front squats (lightweight to stretch the hips)
Planks
Add any assistance such as bicep curls or dips

Fri 3x5
Squats
Overhead or Bench Press (your choice)
Bent over/Pendlay Rows (your choice)

That’s the workout, an example of the weight using 100kg and squats as an example, is as follows:

WEEK 1

Monday 5x3 100kg

Friday 3x5 100kg

WEEK 2

Monday 5x3 102.5kg

Friday 3x5 102.5kg

The following MONDAY repeat the same just add a small increment in this case 2.5kg, keep the rep/set parameters the same.

I found it really motivating as I was breaking personal bests either by the weekly incremental increases in weight or by the amount of reps I was able to push on that weight. I’m 5’9 about 170lbs and have been squatting in excess of 160kg /350lbs.

Please let me know what you think, many thanks

Jamie

Welcome,

I’m currently doing Bill Starr’s 5x5 intermediate routine and its great. Anyways, I don’t see deadlifts as an exercise in your routine. Is there a reason why it’s missing?