T Nation

Critique My Squat

Two Videos, hope its enough to get some advice.

Seems fine from what I can see. Try not to let your knees wobble too much.

Looks pretty solid…it helps you have badass hair too

Wtf is this?!?! I thought I was gonna see a Sqiuat. This is just a squat!!!

Joking. I didn’t notice anything wrong with your form from these angles, but the first angle is just terrible anyway, the rack’s in the way. If you really want a legitimate critique, you need either a full straight-on front view, or a full rear view, preferably both. This way the plates won’t be in the way, and people will be able to see any lateral knee travel, among other things. I can’t see your turn-around at all in these videos, because the plates are directly in the way.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Wtf is this?!?! I thought I was gonna see a Sqiuat. This is just a squat!!!

Joking. I didn’t notice anything wrong with your form from these angles, but the first angle is just terrible anyway, the rack’s in the way. If you really want a legitimate critique, you need either a full straight-on front view, or a full rear view, preferably both. This way the plates won’t be in the way, and people will be able to see any lateral knee travel, among other things. I can’t see your turn-around at all in these videos, because the plates are directly in the way.[/quote]

I will take another video this weekend. I lift in my bedroom so not too much room to film but I will see what I can do.

Judging from how you hips move out of the hole, it looks like your lower back is rounding some at the bottom of the movement…as weird as it sounds, you may be better off going a little LESS deep (as in, just to parallel or an inch-ish below) and working on flexibility if you wanna safely go deeper on a regular bases. Looks ok overall though.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Judging from how you hips move out of the hole, it looks like your lower back is rounding some at the bottom of the movement…as weird as it sounds, you may be better off going a little LESS deep (as in, just to parallel or an inch-ish below) and working on flexibility if you wanna safely go deeper on a regular bases. Looks ok overall though. [/quote]

How should I go about working on my flexibility?

Nice vids!

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:

Judging from how you hips move out of the hole, it looks like your lower back is rounding some at the bottom of the movement…as weird as it sounds, you may be better off going a little LESS deep (as in, just to parallel or an inch-ish below) and working on flexibility if you wanna safely go deeper on a regular bases. Looks ok overall though. [/quote]

How should I go about working on my flexibility? [/quote]
Looks like it has more to do with your posture than anything else. Try standing up a little straighter and keeping a more your torso more upright throughout the lift, and see how that works.

When you lift off from the rack, don’t pussy around with it. It’s a huge psych advantage to unrack it with authority.

Don’t fuck around in the hole. You should explode before you get to the bottom. You do not want to hit bottom without tension on the front of the knee (pushing with quads). The lever action of your hams against your calves tries to pull your knee apart, and if you don’t counter that, it can be dangerous for the knee ligaments.

Another reason is to get the most out of the stretch-reflex and get the weight moving upward as quickly as possible. I see a ton of people miss on front squats because they try to either A)pause in the hole, or B)bounce then explode. The bottom is the worst mechanical position. Spend as little time there as possible. Give it all you got right before you hit bottom, and it’ll come back up nice and easy. Then you just have to get it past the sticking point.

Watch this guy. It’s a fairly light weight for him, so it’s easier to see the little inconsistencies in his depth (from timing the push), and if you look carefully you can see that he is pushing before he gets in the hole. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFGdpQD_O0&feature=related

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:

How should I go about working on my flexibility? [/quote]
Looks like it has more to do with your posture than anything else. Try standing up a little straighter and keeping a more your torso more upright throughout the lift, and see how that works.

When you lift off from the rack, don’t pussy around with it. It’s a huge psych advantage to unrack it with authority.

Don’t fuck around in the hole. You should explode before you get to the bottom. You do not want to hit bottom without tension on the front of the knee (pushing with quads). The lever action of your hams against your calves tries to pull your knee apart, and if you don’t counter that, it can be dangerous for the knee ligaments.

Another reason is to get the most out of the stretch-reflex and get the weight moving upward as quickly as possible. I see a ton of people miss on front squats because they try to either A)pause in the hole, or B)bounce then explode. The bottom is the worst mechanical position. Spend as little time there as possible. Give it all you got right before you hit bottom, and it’ll come back up nice and easy. Then you just have to get it past the sticking point.

Watch this guy. It’s a fairly light weight for him, so it’s easier to see the little inconsistencies in his depth (from timing the push), and if you look carefully you can see that he is pushing before he gets in the hole. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFGdpQD_O0&feature=related[/quote]

x2 on all this.

Though I still do think your flexibility, or maybe just being more comfortable in the bottom position would benefit you. Check out this article, and try practicing it once or twice a day at any time.

I read the article, can anyone recommend a video of someone explaining the natural squat (with a barbell), rather than just someone doing it?

Props to FatInIC to posting this in another thread. Great setup vid