T Nation

Critique My Squat Form

Please critique my form below. This is 275x10, my max is 285x7 before my form really goes to shit. Like i said this isnt my most difficult set, but it is still decently heavy for me. My biggest concern is that I’ve been getting pain/soreness in my lower back all the way down to where it attaches at my ass (read: NOT glute pain).

That lower back pain is from the rounding of your tailbone. Its not that bad in your case. But youre barely getting to parallel. The more upright your torso is the less you’ll feel that pressure in your lower back. It’s a mobility thing and a limb length thing.

Have you tried front squatting?

Looks to me like you are breaking at the knees before your hips move. And it also looks like you are squatting on the balls of your feet, not your heels.

Ditch those shoes for some converse and make those two corrections, depth seems good.

Idk about the pain but my theory would be that you can see when you are in the hole your bottom dips down and you lose tightness in your lower back right as you start to ascend.

Wearing flat shoes made a huge improvement in my squat form

yea i agree, your leaning on the front of your feet, which is going to make it harder to maintain form as you get to parallel, sit further back on your heels and keep your torso more upright, your depth is to parallel, but not a2g, but thats a personal preferance, Gilynn is right though u need different shoes

Your stance looks very narrow, and the bar looks like it’s resting at the base of your neck rather than on your traps.

My advice would be to stretch your hips and hamstrings daily, widen your footing, and learn how to hold the bar lower on your traps, and see if that doesn’t help you stay more upright.

For the shoes, I’ve been lifting in Nike Free training models for awhile and love them. Stay clear of the running models for squats though. This is similar to what I’ve been using:
http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?cp=USNS_KW_0611081618&country=US&lang_locale=en_US&l=shop,search,searchList-Free#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-100701/pid-195884

As for something to add to the good posts above, you might want to try taking in a big gulp of air before each descent, fill your belly up. This will help expand you out providing a stronger base for support, and helps in pushing bigger weights as well. Make sure you maintain a tight upper back (traps squeezed together) too.

Thanks for the responses guys.

@Bonez: I have tried front squatting, not sure I am ready to give up on back squatting though.

@mr popular: It sounds like you’re describing a low-bar squat. I guess I was attempting a high-bar squat. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on both…

With the shoes thing, a few months ago I was squatting in converse-esque shoes, kinda like vans. Then I went barefoot. Then I realized having my feet flat de-activated my quads, so I wanted to raise my heels up, hence the nike’s. Thoughts?

[quote]skaterhernandez4 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

@Bonez: I have tried front squatting, not sure I am ready to give up on back squatting though.

@mr popular: It sounds like you’re describing a low-bar squat. I guess I was attempting a high-bar squat. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on both…

With the shoes thing, a few months ago I was squatting in converse-esque shoes, kinda like vans. Then I went barefoot. Then I realized having my feet flat de-activated my quads, so I wanted to raise my heels up, hence the nike’s. Thoughts?[/quote]

Either get olympic lifting shoes and squat that way or get chucks. Wrestling shoes arent bad either. All the cushion in running shoes isn’t good for squatting.