Critique my Squat Form (with Videos)

ok, thanks for all the advice…looks like I have a lot of work to do! When people say drive from the hips or however it’s worded, what does that mean exactly?

Also when I squat, I don’t feel a thing in my hamstrings or ass. I’m not even sore the next day. Is there any particular error that this is indicative of?

I really don’t think front squats are the answer to his problems since he lacks motor control of his legs, they bow inward as he descend which doesn’t allow him to push off his hips coming up like he should.

I think lowering the weight; widening your stance and going deeper while focusing on pushing your knees ‘out’ while descending and then bringing them in as you go back up would help.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
ok, thanks for all the advice…looks like I have a lot of work to do! When people say drive from the hips or however it’s worded, what does that mean exactly?

Also when I squat, I don’t feel a thing in my hamstrings or ass. I’m not even sore the next day. Is there any particular error that this is indicative of? [/quote]

You just probably have shitty mind/muscle connection. Tighten up your buttcheeks and flex your hamstrings throughout the day and have it to the point where at any moment you can flex them.

So when the time comes you won’t have a problem getting them muscles to fire with your quads. I’ve been doing this cause my left hamstring is alot smaller then my right cause I had a bad mind/muscle connection to that left side and I’ve included lots of one legged work to correct this.

Like others said knees outwards in perfect line with the way your toes are pointed out, sitback some think of having the bar travel right down the middle of your feet. Jump up a couple times and how you land is usually the best stance for you. Trial and error my friend.

I’m not saying front squats will “cure” his problem either. I’m just saying if back squats are holding his progress and leg development back why the fuck keep doing them?

There are plenty of people who just stopped doing back squats for one reason or another in favor of other movements that serve them better. Why? cause every freakin’ person is different in finding what works for their goals, I learn this all the time.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:

There are a lot of things wrong with AQ’s form, but generally speaking, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting back when you squat.

There is if you’re using the squat to build your thighs.

I’m assuming based on the fact that he’s taking a high-bar position and narrow stance that he is trying to build up his thighs, in which case sitting back isn’t ideal.

If someone is just trying to achieve the heaviest most powerful squat they can… then an even wider stance, with a low-bar positioning should be taken. In this case sitting back would be ideal.

But you knew that already.[/quote]

Why is it always assumed that one must squat with a low bar position if they are squatting wide?

Are you squatting with runners, if you are you need to ditch them and get proper squat shoes or a flat soled alternative

[quote]humanimal wrote:
Are you squatting with runners, if you are you need to ditch them and get proper squat shoes or a flat soled alternative[/quote]

they’re high topped Converse’s. Not sure if that’s flat or not?

Need better clip.

But from what I can see: You lack flexibility and the ability to really keep your core tight. You do not know how to position your weight and your drive out of the whole is not the greatest.

How long have you been squatting?

If less than one year, your problem is merely inexperience, give it time.

If more than one year, there may be specific things such as dynamic flexibility and core strength and general squat technique you will have to address before moving up in weight.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
humanimal wrote:
Are you squatting with runners, if you are you need to ditch them and get proper squat shoes or a flat soled alternative

they’re high topped Converse’s. Not sure if that’s flat or not?[/quote]

Get some chucks.