Critique my Squat Form Please!

Hey fella’s just wanted to say thanks for the guys who posted on my deadlift video helping me with form, so i got to thinking i might as well post videos of my squat as well. Please let me know what yall think.

The first video is 310 from the side for a set of 6 the second is the second set of 310 for 6 from behind and the 3rd if my max (most ever lifted) at 380. Let me know! (btw im not trying to compete in powerlifting or anything, just trying to get bigger.

One other thing. Im wearing APT knee sleeves until the last set where i use knee wraps. Thanks again fella’s

2nd set

3rd set, Max attempt 380

Nice work, your supporting a lot of weight on your back there. Your arch looks pretty good, stance is looking alright, might bring it in a little.

Now to the meat of the matter, those are what I would call quarter squats, your close to paralell on a few of them, but you need to go at least below parallel if you want to get the most out of your squats. And if you want the most, you’ll go to rock bottom, but I’d be happy enough if you were going to slightly below parallel.

This chick’s got pretty good form: - YouTube

So my suggestion to you is lower the weight, get your squat lower, then gradually increase the weight while keeping your good depth.

The Squat RX series is EXCELLENT as well:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/a_dozen_exercises_for_squatters

my goal was to stop parallel, but i guess i need to go a little deeper :-/ ok! Thanks buddy.

Just trying to help, hope you check out the SquatRX series!

keep your feet pointed straight forward! its way better for your IT bands

One thing I noticed is that I would recommend keeping your head up and fixed on a visual target in front of you. Notice how with each rep you look down.

This forward flexion of your upper torso will cause you to lose the strength in the traps and erectors in the upper thoracics. By looking down, you are putting yourself in a weaker position and splitting forces.

Also, try to het your hips forward at the top before executing the next rep. Not a lock out, just get your glutes firing properly to help you keep upright. Do this and watch your max go up.

Keep up the good work!

[quote]dakotah_13 wrote:
keep your feet pointed straight forward! its way better for your IT bands[/quote]

Negative, ghostrider.

You feet should be turned out such that your knees follow your toes, this avoids torsion on the ligaments of the knee.

Most likely, you will find that if you try to keep your toes perfectly straight with a shoulder-width stance, your feet will tend to evert on their own as you drop into the squat, especially if you let the weight move entirely to your heels.

[quote]drc wrote:
One thing I noticed is that I would recommend keeping your head up and fixed on a visual target in front of you. Notice how with each rep you look down.

This forward flexion of your upper torso will cause you to lose the strength in the traps and erectors in the upper thoracics. By looking down, you are putting yourself in a weaker position and splitting forces.
[/quote]

Or pick a spot on the floor about 6ft in front of you and stare at it intently. Try to keep your chin tucked and follow the spot with your eyes, not your head.

Proper neck position facilitates hip drive; it has been my experience that if you pick a spot not on the floor, your neck will go into extension at the bottom of the squat, and you will try to ‘good morning’ the weight up as you start to struggle.

Definitely never look down or to the side with a bar on your back.

[quote]
Also, try to het your hips forward at the top before executing the next rep.[/quote]

Yes. Squeeze your glutes at the top of each rep, otherwise the rep isn’t complete. This has made a huge difference for me.

You may want to buy a book called “Starting Strength” by Mark Rippetoe, it is an excellent reference for form on the big three, as well as the press, power clean, and some assistance exercises. I learn something new every time I read it.

So at the top i should essentially sqeeze my butt checks together. The same for a deadlift i assume as well?

There’s plenty about engaging the glutes + hamstrings in the squat RX series… whistles and looks around

In your best interests, I’m being completely honest here, because I think the other people are doing you a disservice by being too nice.

First, to start with the positive, your arch is good and so is your bar placement. You seem to try to keep your elbows forward and that’s great too.

Bad things: first, they’re all high, probably 2-3 inches, although don’t listen to the guy who says they are 1/4 squats. They’re almost to parallel.

The reason you can’t hit parallel is because your hips and glutes are weak, and this makes you want to drift your knees forward and inward to put more of the weight on the quads. You start the movement relatively decently, with your hips breaking first, but you try to get parallel by shooting your knees forward, which, paradoxically, makes it impossible to get to parallel. Then on the way up you see your knees cave. Strong hips/glutes will keep your knees back and OUT. Think of keeping your groin completely open.

Finally, what’s up with the ridiculous amount of movement in between reps? You fidget around like you’re having a seizure. I guarantee you that takes lbs off. Not only is a it a waste of energy but it’s preventing you from staying tight.

Dude i appreciate you not sugar coating this, i def wasnt posting to try to get a pat on the back. As 380 is pretty weak in the grand scheme of things. Thank you for you help as im going to the gym to work on using alot more hips and glutes. Thanks again

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
In your best interests, I’m being completely honest here, because I think the other people are doing you a disservice by being too nice.

First, to start with the positive, your arch is good and so is your bar placement. You seem to try to keep your elbows forward and that’s great too.

Bad things: first, they’re all high, probably 2-3 inches, although don’t listen to the guy who says they are 1/4 squats. They’re almost to parallel.

The reason you can’t hit parallel is because your hips and glutes are weak, and this makes you want to drift your knees forward and inward to put more of the weight on the quads. You start the movement relatively decently, with your hips breaking first, but you try to get parallel by shooting your knees forward, which, paradoxically, makes it impossible to get to parallel. Then on the way up you see your knees cave. Strong hips/glutes will keep your knees back and OUT. Think of keeping your groin completely open.

Finally, what’s up with the ridiculous amount of movement in between reps? You fidget around like you’re having a seizure. I guarantee you that takes lbs off. Not only is a it a waste of energy but it’s preventing you from staying tight. [/quote]

This guy hit a lot of it. Open your stance a little bit more too. and bow your knees a little more out rather then forward. You look like you are quad squatting a LOT. that is why you have trouble and bounce too. Take your weight down. Way down. and try a bit more with less knee movement. You don’t need your feet pointed straight ahead like he said. Point them out a bit. Also but the bar right behind your traps. Not on top. You will have too much weight up on your spine if the bar is up high on your traps/neck. Keep very tight. Get a belt if you don’t have one on already.
Also you do want to break parallel and you wont be able to while quad squatting. You are already almost there. Keep it up.