T Nation

Critique My Split

Hey Guys,

After I’m done cutting, I’m obviously planning on putting on some quality lean mass. I’m 18 and I’ve been lifting for about two years, and I’ve made some sweet progress. While I’m big for my age and weight, my lifts are quite low for my size. My MAJOR goal is hypertrophy. hypertrophy is more important to me than anything, but I definitely think I need to bring my lifts up so I can grow with them. I want to hit everything TWICW per week as I’ve done well with frequency, and have LOTS of volume, which the PHUL routine offers. I did an upper/lower over the summer which was awesome, but I had no power emphasis. I was just curious if I’d be getting enough traps and rear delts? Anything you guys would change?

Day 1
Upper Power: sets reps
-Barbell Bench Press 3-4 3-5
-Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3-4 6-10
-Bent Over Row 3-4 3-5
-Lat Pull Down 3-4 6-10
-Overhead Press 2-3 5-8
-Barbell Curl 2-3 6-10
-Skullcrusher 2-3 6-10

Day 2
Lower Power
Exercise Sets Reps
-Squat 3-4 3-5
-Deadlift 3-4 3-5
-Leg Press 3-5 10-15
-Leg Curl 3-4 6-10
-Calf Exercise 4 6-10

Day 3
Off

Day 4
Upper Hypertrophy Sets Reps
-Incline Barbell Bench Press 3-4 8-12
-Flat Bench Dumbbell Flye 3-4 8-12
-Seated Cable Row 3-4 8-12
-One Arm Dumbbell Row 3-4 8-12
-Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3-4 8-12
-Seated Incline Dumbbell Curl 3-4 8-12
-Cable Tricep Extension 3-4 8-12

Day 5
Lower Hypertrophy
Exercise Sets Reps
-Front Squat 3-4 8-12
-Barbell Lunge 3-4 8-12
-Leg Extension 3-4 10-15
-Leg Curl 3-4 10-15
-Seated Calf Raise 3-4 8-12
-Calf Press 3-4 8-12

What does this mean? What was your progress?

What does this mean? Current height, weight, and general fat level? Current bests on the squat, deadlift, row, bench, overhead press, and pull-ups/pulldown?

What does this mean? “Hypertrophy” isn’t a goal, it’s a process. “I want to weigh 190 with defined abs” is a goal. “I want to squat 315x10” is a goal.

Even without knowing your actual stats, I’m comfortable saying you don’t need to stress out about training your traps or rear delts enough. Train everything with a good plan, eat plenty, and you’ll be on track.

The general approach you laid out is solid (upper-lower split with different set/rep schemes), but I disagree with some redundant exercises and with doing “hypertrophy” work on the “power” days.

Clay Hyght’s Blending Size and Strength is a much better version of what you were trying to put together.

I’ll be more blunt.

You took a decent split, made your own inputs, said split is now bad.

The wheel has been invented. Why did you give it a flat?