Critique My Shoulder Prehab Circuit

My main goal is to improve my overall shoulder stability and functionality. This is what I came up with:

The muscle in parenthesis are what I’m assuming the exercise will strengthen.

Repeat Circuit 2 times, 15-20 reps per exercise

1. Prone full can (supraspinatus, lower traps)

2. Prone external rotations at 90 degree abduction (infraspinatus, teres minor, lower trapezius)

3. Internal rotations diagonal (subscapularis)

4. Push-up plus (serratus anterior)

5. Prone horizontal abduction with external rotation (lower, middle, upper traps and rhomboids/levetor scapulae

I’d probably do a little thoracic mobility work on the foam roller prior to this as well, to help improve my posture.

Can I do this circuit every day, or is that too much? Should I throw in more work for the scapula and less for the rotator cuff?

Thanks.

I would add face pulls, inverted rows, and pullups/chinups. Provided of course they are well tolerated. By the way have you been diagnosed?

I really like the Inside-Out Upper Body Warmup DVD as a good shoulder saver tool.

thanks

inverted rows and pullups are more a part of my general strength training, so they’re taken care of. maybe I’ll sub facepulls in every other session.

i have no insurance, so I haven’t been able to see a doctor. hence I’m pretty paranoid about keeping my shoulders strong. if I had to guess its rotator cuff impingement or tendinitis. Most of my pain is in the subscapularis.

do you think I could do that circuit every day, or is that too much?

I think doing the circuit every other day would probably be the way to go.

Your circuit looks fine. As mrodock said, do it every other day. In case you wanted more variety: DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab Protocol - YouTube

thanks TTT

Remember, with all those open chain exercises, never go over 5lbs. When I was working in Athletic Training, I rarely had an athlete go over 3lbs.

I see on these forums a lot of emphasis on RC strengthening and over the last 5+ years periscapular strengthening, which is very good, but very important in shoulder rehab is range of motion, especially total rotation, closed chain exercises and neuromuscular control.

Sorry for the useless post, but someone has been reading Cressey.