Critique My Routine?

So I’ve been following this routine for about a month now, been focusing on the big lifts and moving up in weight every workout. Been including a few other movements in there as well.

I go 4 days in a row, then 1 day off, with a deload every 4 weeks or so. I have pushups and situps in there because I’m also trying to get better at those for Basic Training within a year or so.

Back:
Power Cleans 2x4
Wide Grip Snatch Pull 2x4
Deadlift 3x5 (I do Deadlifts every other workout)
Pullups 5x8
Kroc Rows 5x8
Situps 5x60 or 5 sets of 1 minute of situps

Chest/Tri’s:
Bench 5x5
Skullcrushers 5x8
Pushups 5x20 or 5 sets of pushups for 1 minute.

Legs
Squat 5x5
Leg Curls 5x8
Situps 5x60 or 5 sets of situps for 1 minute

Shoulders:
Overhead Press 5x5
Landmine lateral raise 5x8
Leaning shoulder raise 5x8
Pushups 5x20 or 5 sets of pushups for 1 minute

If anyone could offer any comments or improvements to this routine or point out anything that I should or shouldn’t be doing, then that would be appreciated.

Try this:

Shoulder Workout 1
Push Press 4x6
Arnold Press 3x8-10
Cable Side raise 4x8-10
Peck Deck Rear shoulder 3x8-10
Smith press 1x10-Max Reps

Hamstrings+Glutes Workout 2
Sumo Deadlift 4x4
Partial RDL 2x10-Max Reps
Single Leg Curl 4x8
Walking Lunges 2x12-15 Per leg

Chest+Triceps Workout 3
Incline Presss 5x6
Super Set:
Incline Dumbell Fly
Flat Bench Dumbell Press 3x8
Dip 1xMax Reps

Close Grip Tricep Press 5x8
Close Grip Push up 3xMax Reps

Quads Workout 4
Power Clean 4x3
Front Squat 6x6
Step Up 3x12
Leg Press 1x10-Max Reps

Back+Bicep Workout 5
Pull Ups W/ Weight 4x6
Cable Row 4x8
Dumbell Row 3x8

Super Set
Cable curl 3x8
Reverse Cable Curl 3x8

2 days on 1 off or 1 on 1 off
Repeat The All Workouts 3 Times That Will keep You Busy For A While. Then Use Something More Conventional For 2-4 Weeks.

go fuck yourself

*EDIT

sorry dudes
its what I get for forgetting to log off

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
go fuck yourself[/quote]

Was this meant for me or the other guy?

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
go fuck yourself[/quote]

Was this meant for me or the other guy?[/quote]

I’m sure it’s not for you.

Kroc Rows are supposed to be done very heavy with lose form and high reps (15-30). What you have in your workout are dumbell rows.

How do you plan to progress in weights for each lift?

Also, apart from the basic training stuff, why are you doing this “routine”? Please be specific.

As noted above, they are not Kroc rows. And what is it these days with the names? Scullcrusher? Landmine?
Guess I’m just too old for the fancy names.

Well I’ve actually been doing the Kroc rows form wise, I just didn’t know they were specifically meant for high reps. I progress each week by adding weights. So say I plan to bench 5x5 for 185 pounds this week. If I manage to get every set and rep without fail, I’ll move up 5 pounds next week. I do that with all the big lifts, including power cleans and the snatch pulls.

As for the names. They were just the names I was taught and have seen online for these movements, the landmines I got on here. I just call it what I saw it be called.

The reason I’m doing this is because I’d like to get my strength up. I’ve gained a ton of mass over the past year, so now I want to focus more on getting my lifts up, because they really aren’t super impressive for my weight. So focusing on the big lifts (and some oly lifts because I like them), with a few isolation movements seems like a good plan for that.

The reason I’m doing this is because I’d like to get my strength up. I’ve gained a ton of mass over the past year, so now I want to focus more on getting my lifts up, because they really aren’t super impressive for my weight. So focusing on the big lifts (and some oly lifts because I like them), with a few isolation movements seems like a good plan for that. [/quote]

No offense, but you don’t really have much mass. Your lifts probably reflect that. This is not meant to be an insult, just an objective opinion.

I suggest that you do a 531 program instead. You will develope strength and balanced hypertrophy of all the muscles.

Choose a template that fits your schedule. You can add the cleans to the squat day and snatch pulls to the deadlift day. Kroc rows can be done on the deadlift day as well.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Also, apart from the basic training stuff, why are you doing this “routine”? Please be specific.

As noted above, they are not Kroc rows. And what is it these days with the names? Scullcrusher? Landmine?
Guess I’m just too old for the fancy names.

[/quote]

This is a landmine. I only found out about it from this thread and had to google it lol.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

The reason I’m doing this is because I’d like to get my strength up. I’ve gained a ton of mass over the past year, so now I want to focus more on getting my lifts up, because they really aren’t super impressive for my weight. So focusing on the big lifts (and some oly lifts because I like them), with a few isolation movements seems like a good plan for that. [/quote]

No offense, but you don’t really have much mass. Your lifts probably reflect that. This is not meant to be an insult, just an objective opinion.[/quote]

No offense taken. I started at 145 and now I’m up to 193 so there is obviously some gain there, and all my lifts have improved since then as well. But I’m not claiming to be big at all, I don’t believe I am.

As for the 5/3/1, I did try that for about 4 months, and I really didn’t enjoy it. So I started trying this, you think I should just buckle down and continue to grind through 5/3/1 when I don’t like it?

Since you made that point about adding in cleans and snatch pulls it may be a lot more enjoyable.

Attached to the floor

Thanks. I know what a landmine is. Being doing it since the '80, as part of my physio after my first car accident. It was called “barbell in a corner” back then.

It’s just a small pet peeve. Especially the Kroc row thing… Nothing to see here.

OP, you are doing a almost 5x5 plus fluff. Nothing wrong with that. Look at Texas method. Better organization.

I personally prefer the system you are using (adding weight when you reach x reps) for hypertrophy.

I find the intensity variation level with periodic weight increase (monthly for example) better for strength.

Good luck.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Thanks. I know what a landmine is. Being doing it since the '80, as part of my physio after my first car accident. It was called “barbell in a corner” back then.

It’s just a small pet peeve. Especially the Kroc row thing… Nothing to see here.

OP, you are doing a almost 5x5 plus fluff. Nothing wrong with that. Look at Texas method. Better organization.

I personally prefer the system you are using (adding weight when you reach x reps) for hypertrophy.

I find the intensity variation level with periodic weight increase (monthly for example) better for strength.

Good luck.

[/quote]

I’ve read about the Texas method, forgot about it though. I’ll have to look into that again.

Appreciate the help though.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

No offense, but you don’t really have much mass. Your lifts probably reflect that. This is not meant to be an insult, just an objective opinion.[/quote]

No offense taken. I started at 145 and now I’m up to 193 so there is obviously some gain there, and all my lifts have improved since then as well. But I’m not claiming to be big at all, I don’t believe I am.

As for the 5/3/1, I did try that for about 4 months, and I really didn’t enjoy it. So I started trying this, you think I should just buckle down and continue to grind through 5/3/1 when I don’t like it?

Since you made that point about adding in cleans and snatch pulls it may be a lot more enjoyable. [/quote]

That is a commendable weight gain over a year and you managed to stay relatively lean. Good job.

You don’t have to do 531 if you don’t want to. You just need to follow the basic principles of progressive overload, which is what most beginners overlook, for the main exercises and a balanced addition of assistance exercises.

I suggested 531 because of the built in progression model. If you’re confident of being able to progress in strength with 5x5 and enjoy doing it, it’s fine.

I would add an incline pressing movement and superset hammer curls with skullcrushers on your chest day and another squat variation or leg press for 5x10 on your leg day.

EDIT:

I mean additions to your current workout.

if your goal is getting your strength up, i;d recommend you check out the texas methods, or madcows 5x5

After reading through the Texas method again, I think that it may be the best route for me to take. I think that I’ve gotten through enough of my novice gains that I can hang with the Texas Method well.

If all goes well, I’ll try to stick with the Texas method for a long time. I don’t want to get into the habit of program hopping.

Sure. That’s a good mindset. Do whatever you feel confident with.

And you didn’t have to change your avatar pic lol. I didn’t say you don’t look like you train, just that you shouldn’t just be satisfied with your current level of development when you can potentially gain much more, especially since you made good progress over the past year.

You look good and have a decent base of muscle. You will look much better with more. Keep it up.

Hey Bitch if you cant lift and grow on that, then stick to your pussy lifts. You dick hole you think that if its not 531, madcow, 5x5 nothing else works. You sack of shit how the hell do you think they all came out with this shit??? by trial and error asshole. Only because your pussy would not be able to make gains from this does not mean no one else can.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Sure. That’s a good mindset. Do whatever you feel confident with.

And you didn’t have to change your avatar pic lol. I didn’t say you don’t look like you train, just that you shouldn’t just be satisfied with your current level of development when you can potentially gain much more, especially since you made good progress over the past year.

You look good and have a decent base of muscle. You will look much better with more. Keep it up.[/quote]

I didn’t change it because of what you said haha, I just felt like I needed a new photo.

And I’m not satisfied with where I am at all, I absolutely am going to continue to keep working at it and continue to get bigger and stronger for, hopefully, most of my life.

But I appreciate the compliment and I’m glad that my work has provided me with some noticeable results so far.

I post a lot of questions on these forums because I’d prefer to get constructive criticism from people who have gone much further and are much more experienced in these sorts of things then I am. I’d rather learn from you guys, then have to go through and learn the hard way through trial and error.