Standing Calf Raises 3x10

Friday: Chest and Triceps
Flat Bench Press 10x10
Crossbench Dips 10x till failure

Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off

I didn’t include sitting calf raises on purpose

looks pathetic, but it could be very very useful, it depends,

what goal are you trying to accomplish with this routine?

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
Please critique my routine[/quote]
That is, without exaggeration, one of the worst programs I’ve seen in a long time.

If you’re open to help, list your height, weight, general fat level, and specific goal.

Please do tell the purpose.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
That is, without exaggeration, one of the worst programs I’ve seen in a long time.

If you’re open to help, list your height, weight, general fat level, and specific goal.

Please do tell the purpose.[/quote]

x2 on both accounts. 10x100? Please tell us that is a typo, or else please also explain your thought process there.

Providing the info Chris listed would be very useful.

[quote]staystrong wrote:
10x100? Please tell us that is a typo, or else please also explain your thought process there.
[/quote]

Could be useful if going for a Ron Burgundy physique.

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]GetBigs wrote:

x2 on both accounts. 10x100? Please tell us that is a typo, or else please also explain your thought process there.

Providing the info Chris listed would be very useful.[/quote]
Lmfao sorry I meant 10x10!

[quote]GetBigs wrote:

Hello Sir! Thanks for your help in advance!

I ‘made’ this routine myself. It’s based on German Volume Training, hence 10x10 using a compound exercise. My ‘logic’ behind this was that a muscle only needs 28-48 hours till it’s fully recovered. The various leg press variations are intended to develop the quadriceps and the hamstrings because I cannot squat: don’t tell me, I’ve tried, I did for a long time, but in the end my knees started hurting so bad during the squat I just had to stop. I also tried stretching, it didn’t help.

Height: 175 cms - around 5 foot 8 in I think?
Weight: 140 pounds
Specific goal: Build muscle with minimal fat gain, hence the intense workouts

Purpose of not including seated calf raises: Whenever I do them, I get a sharp pain in my toes, I need to learn to better recruit the soleus I think

[quote]GetBigs wrote:

Purpose of not including seated calf raises: Whenever I do them, I get a sharp pain in my toes, I need to learn to better recruit the soleus I think[/quote]

LOL. You’re truly a mutant.

Hve you done this progrm before or did you just come up with it. What did you do prior to this? How much weight do you use for compounds?

I’m a beginner, hence these ideas LOL

But let’s get serious, I’m tired of this bullshit and I don’t want to sound like an idiot, so it’s time for me to get consistant with what I do when it comes to training and nutrition

No, I ‘just came up with it’

Prior to this I wasn’t really consistant, so now it’s time for me to get real with the training

What do you think would be the best programme for me, I’d go with splits, however, NO isolation exercises, heavy compounds for each muscle, that’s all

Would this one be good:

day 1. chest/tris
day 2. back/bis
day 3. shoulders/traps
day 4. legs
day 5.rest
day 6.rest
repeat cycle.

Would this be an ideal split for me? If not, how would you modify it? Thank you!

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
I’m a beginner, hence these ideas LOL

But let’s get serious, I’m tired of this bullshit and I don’t want to sound like an idiot, so it’s time for me to get consistant with what I do when it comes to training and nutrition

No, I ‘just came up with it’

Prior to this I wasn’t really consistant, so now it’s time for me to get real with the training

What do you think would be the best programme for me, I’d go with splits, however, NO isolation exercises, heavy compounds for each muscle, that’s all

Would this one be good:

day 1. chest/tris
day 2. back/bis
day 3. shoulders/traps
day 4. legs
day 5.rest
day 6.rest
repeat cycle.

Would this be an ideal split for me? If not, how would you modify it? Thank you![/quote]

that split looks fine, but have you ever considered just going with a 100% pre-made program? You don’t have to stick to it for the rest of your life, but if you are ‘serious’, you should complete at least ONE program that is often prescribed on this website.

That way, you will have in-depth experience with it, and most likely, you won’t have wasted your time for 3 or 6 months.

Oh yes, I completely agree with you, thank you!

Looks like my editing hasn’t been shown yet

I also included I would like to follow a split that I train a muscle twice a week with

How would you modify the above programme (in my post where I wrote about that split) so I could train in such a manner?

Thanks!

[quote]GetBigs wrote:

[/quote]

At least half of the exercises you listed in your first post are isolation exercises. I’m not saying that’s a problem. But if you don’t know that already… you probably should. A dumbbell curl is not a compound movement. 1 joint = isolation. 2 joints (or more) = compound.

That’s the least of your problems here though. You clearly know almost nothing about training. The worst part is that you think you know some things.

The best advice I can give you at this point, based on your EXTREMELY limited training knowledge is this: DON’T CREATE YOUR OWN PROGRAM. Don’t modify a program either. At all. Pick a program that comes recommended by at least a couple professionals, and do that, without any tweaks that you think would work. You don’t know enough to do this yet.

Post a video of your squat. The reason you can’t do a squat may very well be poor form. I would not rule out squats before posting a video. Form can be fixed.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]GetBigs wrote:

[/quote]

At least half of the exercises you listed in your first post are isolation exercises. I’m not saying that’s a problem. But if you don’t know that already… you probably should. A dumbbell curl is not a compound movement. 1 joint = isolation. 2 joints (or more) = compound.

That’s the least of your problems here though. You clearly know almost nothing about training. The worst part is that you think you know some things.

The best advice I can give you at this point, based on your EXTREMELY limited training knowledge is this: DON’T CREATE YOUR OWN PROGRAM. Don’t modify a program either. At all. Pick a program that comes recommended by at least a couple professionals, and do that, without any tweaks that you think would work. You don’t know enough to do this yet.

Post a video of your squat. The reason you can’t do a squat may very well be poor form. I would not rule out squats before posting a video. Form can be fixed.[/quote]

I agree with the part where you said I should pick a programme, thank you!
And yes, you’re right, the dumbbell curls isn’t a compound exercise

Which programme would you recommend me to follow if my goal is hypertrophy?

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
It’s based on German Volume Training, hence 10x10 using a compound exercise. My ‘logic’ behind this was that a muscle only needs 28-48 hours till it’s fully recovered. [/quote]
GVT is not for beginners. That was the first of a few mistakes with trying to piece together your own plan.

Your profile says you’re 17 years old. You haven’t done anything “for a long time”, and especially not anything training related. To paraphrase Dan John, “Squats don’t hurt your knees. How you’re squatting is hurting your knees.”

[quote]Height: 175 cms - around 5 foot 8 in I think?
Specific goal: Build muscle with minimal fat gain, hence the intense workouts[/quote]
First, that’s not a “specific goal.” A specific goal would be something like, 165 pounds with defined abs by July 4 2015.

Second, is it “with minimal fat gain” because you’re already pretty fat or because you’ve already got some cool abs and want to keep pulling cheerleader tail? Meaning, you’re already on the low end of things, weight-wise, so you should be cool with gaining a little bodyfat if it means also gaining a lot of muscle and strength.

Fair enough (though soleus recruitment most likely isn’t the issue). I was more curious in general. Seated calf raises are the type of exercise where, if it hurts, you can skip them. Squats aren’t exactly in that same category, and are worth figuring out.

[/quote]

There ya go.

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
It’s based on German Volume Training, hence 10x10 using a compound exercise. My ‘logic’ behind this was that a muscle only needs 28-48 hours till it’s fully recovered. [/quote]
GVT is not for beginners. That was the first of a few mistakes with trying to piece together your own plan.

Your profile says you’re 17 years old. You haven’t done anything “for a long time”, and especially not anything training related. To paraphrase Dan John, “Squats don’t hurt your knees. How you’re squatting is hurting your knees.”

[quote]Height: 175 cms - around 5 foot 8 in I think?
Specific goal: Build muscle with minimal fat gain, hence the intense workouts[/quote]
First, that’s not a “specific goal.” A specific goal would be something like, 165 pounds with defined abs by July 4 2015.

Second, is it “with minimal fat gain” because you’re already pretty fat or because you’ve already got some cool abs and want to keep pulling cheerleader tail? Meaning, you’re already on the low end of things, weight-wise, so you should be cool with gaining a little bodyfat if it means also gaining a lot of muscle and strength.

Fair enough (though soleus recruitment most likely isn’t the issue). I was more curious in general. Seated calf raises are the type of exercise where, if it hurts, you can skip them. Squats aren’t exactly in that same category, and are worth figuring out.

[/quote]

Oh sorry for my cockiness, I didn’t pay attention to what I wrote. Yes, I agree, I’m a beginner when it comes to this lifestyle, and I’m open to learning.

The thing with squats is, I arch my back (I mean, I keep my back as straight as I can), as if I wanted to sit down, as soon as I reach parallel, my knees start hurting so bad I just want to stop, it’s uncomfortable squatting like that, feels like I’m about to get some injury, which I don’t want to happen. I don’t mean to sound like a pussy though, I’ll keep your piece of advice in mind, thank you!

As to whether I’m already pretty fat or not, the last time I checked, I was around 15% BF, which I find funny, because I also did a test in the gym using a machine, but it must have been inaccurate, it’s THE machine in whose case if you drink too much, that is, you’re hydrated, your BF levels will increase… I think? I don’t have abs if I don’t flex. No, I wouldn’t mind getting a bit of BF if that would mean getting significantly stronger and bigger at the same time.

Thank you for the program, I’ll check it out.

I’d like to thank all of you who have posted in this thread, I’ll definitely listen to what you and those that are more experienced say!

[quote]GetBigs wrote:

The thing with squats is, I arch my back (I mean, I keep my back as straight as I can), as if I wanted to sit down, as soon as I reach parallel, my knees start hurting so bad I just want to stop, it’s uncomfortable squatting like that, feels like I’m about to get some injury, which I don’t want to happen. I don’t mean to sound like a pussy though, I’ll keep your piece of advice in mind, thank you!
[/quote]

This is why you should post a video. You sound like you don’t know how to squat correctly.

[/quote]

GetBigs,

In addition to the progress you will make with this specific program, you also have the opportunity to get feedback from Chris Colucci.

I strongly recommend you not skip (or rush through) the bodyweight training phase. Those exercises will improve your movement patterns, mobility, and likely help your squat issues. Following the program on whole will also institute some much-needed discipline.

Since you’ve had problems with consistency, you can aim for a benchmark to meet with bodyweight training before moving to the next phase, and then plan to work through the upper-lower split for a predetermined number of weeks. The idea is touched upon in the article, but having set training days allows you to exercise discipline outside of the gym on a continuous basis because you are committing to a schedule.

He mentions using a training notebook as well. Do it. You’ll be able to watch your progress unfold as the weeks go by, and by tracking changes in your body and performance there will be no questions about the efficacy of the program and the work you’re putting in.

[quote]fncj wrote:

[/quote]

GetBigs,

In addition to the progress you will make with this specific program, you also have the opportunity to get feedback from Chris Colucci.

I strongly recommend you not skip (or rush through) the bodyweight training phase. Those exercises will improve your movement patterns, mobility, and likely help your squat issues. Following the program on whole will also institute some much-needed discipline.

Since you’ve had problems with consistency, you can aim for a benchmark to meet with bodyweight training before moving to the next phase, and then plan to work through the upper-lower split for a predetermined number of weeks. The idea is touched upon in the article, but having set training days allows you to exercise discipline outside of the gym on a continuous basis because you are committing to a schedule.

He mentions using a training notebook as well. Do it. You’ll be able to watch your progress unfold as the weeks go by, and by tracking changes in your body and performance there will be no questions about the efficacy of the program and the work you’re putting in.[/quote]

Do you know where I could get these training notebooks? Thanks!

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
Do you know where I could get these training notebooks? Thanks![/quote]

I use 6"x9" steno notebooks. Cheap, durable, and available anywhere paper is sold.

At the end of the week, I backup the log and notes onto my computer in a spreadsheet and a local wordpress blog I use as a CMS to easily search for past info. I find the process helps me to review my progress and plan for the next week.

You can also have a log on this site. Go to Forums > Logs > Training Logs. And then click “Post New Thread”.