Critique My Routine

There’s no such thing as a perfect for everyone routine. That’s what I realized after I quit doing SS and Stronglifts. This is my self designed personal training routine. All helpful feedback are appreciated.

Monday
Deadlift 1x5
Dips 3x8
Back Extensions 3x10

Wednesday
Power Clean 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Barbell Rows 3x5

Friday
Deadlift 1x5
Dips 3x8
Bicep Curls 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5

I’ll add 2.5kg each workout. For now, I can’t do a single dip so ill work on that till I’m able to do 3x8.

Am I missing any important body part?
Deadlifts - Hams, Glutes, Lower back, Abs, Quads, Grip Strength, Lats
Dips - Chest, Triceps
Barbell Rows - Triceps, Upper back
Bicep Curls - Biceps
Power clean - Explosiveness, Upper back, shoulders , traps (if I’m not mistaken)
Overhead Press - Shoulders, Triceps

Fridays are more hardcore compared to Mon, Wed because I have 2 days for recovery.

What do you guys think?
What body part is not worked enough?

Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

UPDATE : Change my Friday deadlifts to 2x5 instead of the initial 1x5. 2 days of recovery should be more than enough for my muscles
2nd UPDATE : Removed GHR and Hip Thrusts from my workout. I don’t have sufficient equipment to do both this exercises effectively. Any good glutes exercises you all can recommend? Goodmornings?

[quote]LiftAndLetLive wrote:
Dips - Chest, Triceps
GHR - Glutes, Hams
Bicep Curls - Biceps
Power clean - Explosiveness, Upper back, shoulders , traps (if I’m not mistaken)
Overhead Press - Shoulders, triceps
Hip thrust - Hips, Glutes
[/quote]

What are your goals right now?

I don’t think rows works triceps. It’s a pulling movement.

For my suggestion, do more sets of deadlifts. I would say 3-5 on your main day and maybe 3 for the other day. 1 set is not gonna do much.

Also is there a reason you don’t bench press? That’s probably best for triceps.

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

Dips - Chest, Triceps
GHR - Glutes, Hams
Bicep Curls - Biceps
Overhead Press - Shoulders, triceps
Hip thrust - Hips, Glutes
[/quote]

What are your goals right now?

I don’t think rows works triceps. It’s a pulling movement.

For my suggestion, do more sets of deadlifts. I would say 3-5 on your main day and maybe 3 for the other day. 1 set is not gonna do much.

Also is there a reason you don’t bench press? That’s probably best for triceps.[/quote]

Hello there.
Doesn’t the tricep extend and contract during the pull? Perhaps it’s not direct tricep work but I’m sure the tricep is worked…

Wouldn’t 3x5 Deadlifts be too brutal for my muscles to recover in a day? Did experiment with 2x5 though…
After all, in SS deadlifts are 1x5 and Rippetoe recommends 1x5 Deadlifts alternating with the power clean, if I’m not mistaken. But I will definitely take your recommendation into consideration!

Yes, I have a very good reason thr I don’t bench press.
Most importantly, I train at home. Alone. No spotters or people to help me lift that 200 pound bar off my chest if I get stuck. Of course I’ve heard of the roll of shame but I don’t want to take chances… Dips should suffice for chest and tricep work.

My current stats :
Weight : 69kg
Height : 180cm
Body fat % : Not sure, but I assume its around 14-16% You can see my upper abs if you pull my belly fats down.
Lifts are embarrassingly low since I’m starting out so I rather not mention them.

Goals by 31st December 2013
Deadlift - 200kg x 1rep 175kg x 5reps
Dips - I’m not sure what is considered good so my current aim is 30 in a row, is that too hardcore?
Overhead press - 60kg x 1rep 50kg x 5reps
Power Clean - 70kg x 1rep 60kg x 5reps
Barbell Row - 90kg x 1rep 80kg x 5reps

I aim to be 75kg with 8% body fat.

Any recommendations on suitable aims for the exercises I didn’t mention?

Wouldn’t 3x5 Deadlifts be too brutal for my muscles to recover in a day? Did experiment with 2x5 though…
After all, in SS deadlifts are 1x5 and Rippetoe recommends 1x5 Deadlifts alternating with the power clean, if I’m not mistaken. But I will definitely take your recommendation into consideration!

Yes, I have a very good reason thr I don’t bench press.
Most importantly, I train at home. Alone. No spotters or people to help me lift that 200 pound bar off my chest if I get stuck. Of course I’ve heard of the roll of shame but I don’t want to take chances… Dips should suffice for chest and tricep work.
[/quote]

3 sets of deadlifts is nowhere near too much for your body to recover. If you eat good and sleep decent (which you should be doing anyway), you will recover for sure. Just do 3 sets on monday and 3 sets on friday, but friday use a little less weight just to make sure you fully recover by next monday.

I don’t think triceps are used even a little in rows because they are activated when you push things while biceps are activated when you pull things. I’m 99% sure I’m right but if not, someone correct me so I can learn.

As far as the bench press, I kinda see where you’re coming from, but I’ve been doing it at home since I started with no spotter and have had no problems. You just can’t push yourself beyond your limits. If you find the 5th rep at a high weight really hard, do NOT go for a 6th. It’s simple as that. You’re just gonna have to leave a rep in the tank on each set. Doesn’t mean you can’t get a good workout. And make sure you increase the weight gradually, by like 10-20 pounds every set, and you should be able to feel if you can’t complete another rep.

Thing is you won’t be able to do 1 rep maximums, but those aren’t needed to grow anyway.

This is not a good routine any way you slice it. 3 sets of dips per week will do next to nothing in the way of increasing your strength and building muscle and your legs will not grow by doing deadlifts alone. Even if a lack of equipment and spotter is the issue, there many many other better options than this.