T Nation

Critique my Routine

I’m back at it after changing jobs and another kid. Want to put on mass. Shooting for 4000 cals a day.

Monday - Legs

Squat x 6 sets of 4-8
Leg Extension x 4 sets of 6-10
Calves x 8 sets of 5

Wednesday - Shoulders

Pushpress or Military Press x 6 sets of 4-8
Unwinding Press x 4 sets of 8-10
Dumbbell Swing x 4 sets of 8-10

Friday - Back

Deadlift x 6 setsof 4-8
Reverse Machine Fly or Facepull x 4 sets of 8-10
Vouyer Shrug x 6 sets of 10

Saturday - Chest

Bench x 6 sets of 4-8
Incline Dumbbell Press x 6 sets of 8-10
Dips x 6 sets of 10

Thanks in advance for tips and critique.

  • Might want to throw in some hamstring work on leg day.
  • Any direct arm exercises? Guess they’re not really needed, but just wondering.
  • Looks solid. Keep eating and lifting heavy, modify the program as you see fit.

You Lats are pretty big muscles, if your goal is to add mass, why ignore them? You need some rows, pull downs or chins of some sort.

Also I agree with above. You have no Hammie work, no arm work, and your medial delts are going to be flat and give you a blocky look.

[quote]flightspeed wrote:

Unwinding Press x 4 sets of 8-10
Dumbbell Swing x 4 sets of 8-10
Vouyer Shrug x 6 sets of 10[/quote]

What are these?

[quote]TisDrew wrote:

[quote]flightspeed wrote:

Unwinding Press x 4 sets of 8-10
Dumbbell Swing x 4 sets of 8-10
Vouyer Shrug x 6 sets of 10[/quote]

What are these?[/quote]

TPreuss - Thanks for the thoughts. You are correct. I need something for the hamstrings. I’ll probably throw in some leg curls. If I feel like I’m overtraining, I’ll take out the calves. I will most likely put in some direct arm work once I get going. I was going to try this program for 8 weeks or so and see where I’m at.

Count - Thank you as well. You too are correct. I was thinking about this all weekend. I had the heavy deads in there because of the theory that they are all that is needed for a big back. But, after a few weeks of this, I don’t really believe that heavy deads are enough. Some lat exercises would be great as well. I’ll add these and if I feel like I’m overtraining, I’ll take out the facepulls.

What would you do different for the shoulders? I don’t know what you mean when you say the delts will look “blocky.”

TisDrew - The unwinding press is a should exercise I got from this article:

Same with the dumbbell swing. Try them. I have a very hard time training shoulders for size. They are my weakest area by far. I have never been able to get size on them. So, I thought I would try something completely different.

On the unwinding press, if you can hold at the end of the movement for 1-2 second like it says, you will get the most out of the exercise. I do these with 7.5 lb dumbbells. It is plenty for me.

The voyer shrug I got here:

I have a desk job and I feel like my chest and abs have caused me to hunch over some, so I thought this would be a good way to straighten myself out a bit. I think I was right. You have to really worry about the movement rather than the weight with this exercise. I think I only put about 50lbs on the stacks for this.

I was thinking you needed some lateral raises, but based on the articles you linked, it looks like they SHOULD be okay…

I don’t know though, never done the linked stuff.

Oh, thanks for the response. I think what he meant by blocky is that the anterior will be overdeveloped in relation to the other heads. With the lack of rowing/pull-ups, I think that your rear delts might not be getting stimulated enough. I’d add in some pull-ups and some form of horizontal row (seated, DB, BB, chest-supported, what have you) and maybe even some direct rear delt work.

The other two exercises you have are wacky exercises in my book, but if the DB swing is a substitute for lateral raises then go for it I guess. I put my horizontal rowing on my bench day, but do pull-ups with deadlifts. You could try putting your horizontal row on your leg day if you don’t mind splitting your work up like that.

[quote]TisDrew wrote:
Oh, thanks for the response. I think what he meant by blocky is that the anterior will be overdeveloped in relation to the other heads. With the lack of rowing/pull-ups, I think that your rear delts might not be getting stimulated enough. I’d add in some pull-ups and some form of horizontal row (seated, DB, BB, chest-supported, what have you) and maybe even some direct rear delt work.

The other two exercises you have are wacky exercises in my book, but if the DB swing is a substitute for lateral raises then go for it I guess. I put my horizontal rowing on my bench day, but do pull-ups with deadlifts. You could try putting your horizontal row on your leg day if you don’t mind splitting your work up like that.[/quote]

Point well taken on the rear delts. I’m leaving a lot of stuff out at this point, ie direct arm work, abs, etc. I just want to put some mass on at this point and set myself up for success later on. I know those delt exercises seem weird.

I’m just trying something new, as I’ve never, ever been able to put mass on my delts. They certainly get the fatigue I’m looking for in the medial head (which is what I’m after), so hopefully I’ll report that I got some of the mass I was looking for too.