T Nation

Critique My Routine

I’ve been lifting close to a year now. My goals are to drop some bodyfat and increase LBM. I’m not too worried about dropping down to 8-10% bodyfat or anything like that. 12-15% would be ideal. I’m 29 y.o., 5’9" and weigh 230 lbs. I’m guessing my body fat is around 17-20%, I haven’t really checked. My routine is basically a 3 day cycle and then a day of rest. It usually takes an 45/mins. to an hour to complete. I normally work 6 days/wk, 12hrs./day. So that means getting up at 4 a.m. to wake up, do my sets for that day and get ready for work. That is, for the months I’m on days. Without further adieu, here’s my routine.

Day 1
back/lower body
Bentover Rows: 135 lbs.-5x10
Deadlifts: 225 lbs-5x5
I might throw some leg extensions/ curls in there eventually, but I’m genetically gifted with humongous, muscular, calves, hammies and quads.

Day 2
shoulder destruction
Lateral Raises: 15 lbs.- 5x10 Any heavier than that kills my shoulder joints. Hopefully this will change once I get my delts up to speed
Shrugs: 35 lbs.- 5x10
Ab Crunches: 5x20
Saving up for a chinup/dip station so I can start blasting my lats/upper back since they are lacking

Day 3
chest/biceps
DB Curls 35lbs.-5x10
Flat Bench 225lbs.-5x5

I haven’t been keeping measurements or anything but I have made gains in strength and size. When I started I barely could put up 145 lbs. on the bench and 20 lbs. curls killed me. My shirts are tighter on my chest now instead of my gut which is nice.

Anyway, I want a little constructive criticism on my routine so I can help fill in the holes.

Might as throw my nutrition in here:
Typical grubbage for the day
Breakfast
1 scoop Nitropeak
1 cup 2% milk
roughly 1/4 cup eggwhites
1 tbs creatine monohydrate

Morning snack
1/2 a PB&J
1 slice Nature’s Own 100% whole grain bread
1 tbs PB
1/2 tbs strawberry preserves

Lunch
1/4 lb roast beef(turkey or ham) sammich
2 slices Nature’s Own 100% whole grain bread
a few ounce piece of colby jack cheese
1 oz. of potato chips
1 can of Coke

Afternoon Snack
1/2 a PB&J
1 slice Nature’s Own 100% whole grain bread
1 tbs PB
1/2 tbs strawberry preserves

Dinner
This changes.
I tend to stick to either 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef in Newman’s Own Sockarooni Sauce w/ whole wheat pasta.
1 lbs top round steak
1 lbs chicken titty
a couple of tilapia filets or tuna steak
brown rice or some other complex carb
some sort of veggie

I drink roughly 7-10 liters of water daily. I work in the Texas heat so I sweat alot.

I keep supplementation simple:
Multivitamin 2/day
fish oil 3/day
join complex 3/day

Damn. I guess no one has anything to say.

Are you doing your exercises in the order listed?

Yes I am. I then take a day off for rest.

any picture of your “humongous muscular calves hammies and quads”? lol

Why do you do straight sets instead of ramping up your weights?

Why do you do curs before you do bench press?

.greg.

[quote]punkmuscle wrote:
Damn. I guess no one has anything to say.[/quote]

I didn’t say anything because there is so much to say.

Honestly I would just re-write a 3 way for you, and it would be one I liked, so it might not be worth my time. You might not like it.

C_C talked about 3 ways quite a bit in his thread I believe. You can find the link to his thread in the sticky on top of the Bodybuilding forum. Read the whole thing before posting any questions in it.

^Thanks. I’ll look more into 3 ways.

As far as my legs, compared to some dude who’s been doing 1,000 lb. leg presses and shooting test and deca and munching dbol for years, they aren’t shit. Compared to the average dude who does nothing but upper body workouts, they aren’t bad. I don’t like posting pics of myself on forums, so zip up your pants. lol

The reason I don’t ramp up my weight during my workouts is because I don’t have time to do a bunch of changing weights. I’ve got roughly an hour a day to workout before I go to work. That’s how it is when you work 60+ hours a week. I consider my first set enough to warm up. What I do, do though, is increase the weight on my workouts as soon as I stabilize the weight with proper form and the muscle group I’m working with doesn’t fatigue like it used to after a set. I’ve basically have been increasing the workload as soon as my body could handle more.

Why do I do curls before I bench? It’s a good little warm up before I hit the big compound. It also goes with working out my arms and chest as well.

[quote]punkmuscle wrote:
I’ve been lifting close to a year now. My goals are to drop some bodyfat and increase LBM. I’m not too worried about dropping down to 8-10% bodyfat or anything like that. 12-15% would be ideal. I’m 29 y.o., 5’9" and weigh 230 lbs. I’m guessing my body fat is around 17-20%, I haven’t really checked. My routine is basically a 3 day cycle and then a day of rest. It usually takes an 45/mins. to an hour to complete. I normally work 6 days/wk, 12hrs./day. So that means getting up at 4 a.m. to wake up, do my sets for that day and get ready for work. That is, for the months I’m on days. Without further adieu, here’s my routine.

Day 1
back/lower body
Bentover Rows: 135 lbs.-5x10
Deadlifts: 225 lbs-5x5
I might throw some leg extensions/ curls in there eventually, but I’m genetically gifted with humongous, muscular, calves, hammies and quads.

Day 2
shoulder destruction
Lateral Raises: 15 lbs.- 5x10 Any heavier than that kills my shoulder joints. Hopefully this will change once I get my delts up to speed
Shrugs: 35 lbs.- 5x10
Ab Crunches: 5x20
Saving up for a chinup/dip station so I can start blasting my lats/upper back since they are lacking

Day 3
chest/biceps
DB Curls 35lbs.-5x10
Flat Bench 225lbs.-5x5

I haven’t been keeping measurements or anything but I have made gains in strength and size. When I started I barely could put up 145 lbs. on the bench and 20 lbs. curls killed me. My shirts are tighter on my chest now instead of my gut which is nice.

Anyway, I want a little constructive criticism on my routine so I can help fill in the holes.
[/quote]

I get like 5/6 exercises done in an hour, doing ramping. I don’t rest like 5 minutes between the warm-up sets is all. My rest times aren’t like 30 seconds between the working sets either. I am not in great cardio shape, so this isn’t really a speed-workout or anything. Doing 5 sets of any exercise takes forever for me. Couple quick light sets, couple weight acclimation sets, then pound out my single blast set or my top working sets.

So your equipment is DB’s (light ones), bench, weight plates and barbell? Possible exercises:
Deadlifts, front squats (clean it to get into position), zercher squats, overhead press (not sure how this will work with your shoulder), shrugs (try using the barbell and some real weight, aka like more than your deadlift), flat bench, flyes, curls (again, maybe you can use the barbell for heavier weight), push-ups, chair dips (you should really buy a pull up bar, they’re only like $20), use dumbells for rear delt work or external rotation as these will probably help your shoulders. I’d invest in some heavy DB’s for DB Bench, DB Row, DB OHP if you can.

Yeah, my equipment is a set of DB’s that you can add 5lbs. standard plates to. I’ve got 40lbs. of weight for them. I can go up to 50-55lbs. on them with additional plates. I’ve got a Body Champ bench and a 310lbs. Olympic weight set. The rack for the bench can raised up for squats. I’m going to pick up a chin up station with my next paycheck. I’m not to fond of the pull up bars that you mount on doorframes. They leave marks on the frame.

I’ve read CT’s “newb” articles and realized I need to setup my workouts where I’m working antagonizing groups of muscles(back/chest, etc.). I’m about to drastically change my routine to hopefully maximize the effort I’m putting into this endeavor. I’ll keep you guys posted.

You don’t need to do antagonist training. It can be done, and I like it personally, but it’s not necessary.