Critique my Routine, Limited Equipment

I’m new to lifting wanting to bulk up and build a solid base, i’ll be training at home and the equipment available is a trap bar, 2x 5ft olympic bar’s, 600Ibs of olympic discs, dipping stand, chin up bar, Ironmind Hip Belt. i’ve come up with the following full-body routine and would like a critique regarding exercise selection and volume.

1. Trap Bar Squat - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

2. Stiff leg Deadlift - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

3. Gironda dip - 3 sets, 8-15 reps

4. Regular Grip Chinning - 3 sets, 8-15 reps

5. Barbell Overhead Press - 3 sets, 8-15 reps

6. Bicep Curl - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

7. Trap Bar Shrugs - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

8. Crunches - 1 set

i’ll choose a weight that forces me to near-failure on the last set, the aim is to add a little weight to bar regularly as possible. Two days rest between workouts, so the training frequency will be 5 times in a 2 week period.

Or maybe do something like this 3x week, Monday A Wednesday B Friday A

Routine A

1. Trap Bar Squat - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

2. Stiff Leg Deadlift - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

3. Gironda Dip - 3 sets, 8-15 reps

4. Barbell Bent Over Row - 3 sets, 8-15 reps

5. Overhead Press - 3 sets, 8-15 reps

6. Crunches 1 set

Routine B

1. Hip Belt Squat - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

2. Calf Raise using hip belt - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

3. Regular Dip - 3 sets, 8-15 reps

4. Bicep Curl - 2 sets, 8-15 reps

5. Trap Bar Shrugs 2 sets, 8-15 reps

6. chin up 3 sets, 8-15 reps

Obviously you are new too this and at the moment I do not have much time to help you so i will leave you with the best advice I have ever been given for training when trying to add mass.

“train the muscle throught its full range of motion, not the movement”

• Phoenix Theory

One thing I’ve learned is that you can have a whole gym worth of equipment at your disposal, but if you don’t EAT enough of the right things you won’t gain a pound. I learned/am learning the hard way on this lesson. As for your movements stick to complex moves like squats, deads, pullups, etc and ditch iso work for now. Good luck!

Many things:

1. Volume too high. 5x5 for 2 exercises, then 4x6 or 3x12 for 3 auxiliary exercises.

2. If you’re going to do 2 routines, make 1 a hip dominant and then the other a quad dominant day. Doing squats and deads on the same day is just too exhausting and your workouts will suffer. So make, for example, the A workout Squats and Good mornings, and the B workout Deadlifts and Bulgarian Squats.

3. Ditch the crunches. If you’re serious on ab work, do something productive like bicycle crunches, leg raises or Russian twists…crunches are about the worst thing you could do.

front squats are your friend.

8-15 is a pretty wide range. I would narrow it down… Actually, I would do sets of five, but that’s just me.

The workout seems good. You’re
Squatting
Deadlifting
Pressing
Pulling
Predominantly compound exercises
Enough rest.

I agree with Stew that you’ll need to eat a lot, but you probably already knew that.

I disagree with aclement that it’s too much volume. It’s like, 15 sets. There are guys that do 15 SETS PER MUSCLE.

If you’re a beginner or intermediate lifter, and you’re not going for maximal effort, you can squat and deadlift on the same day. Aclement’s caution is in the right place, I just disagree with him here.

He’s right on the crunches. 1 set? That’s not gonna do anything. Kick it to two or three sets every workout with hanging leg raises or decline sit-ups.