T Nation

Critique My Push/Pull/Legs

I have been a long time reader of T-Nation and a long time fan of some of the routines really pushed on here: WS4SB and 5/3/1 among others. I am doing the college thing now and only really have 3 days to lift and really wanted to try a solid Push/Pull/Legs routine that was a little more focused on size. I want something that will hit me hard since I can only lift 3 days a week and not take too long in the gym. Here is what I have so far:

Push
-Bench press variation (work up to max set of 3-5 reps)
*a few sets of band pullaparts or something for the rear delts
-Dumbbell press variation (3-5 sets of 10)
-mil press/lat raise/arnold press (3-5 sets of 10)
-2 different tricep lifts (3-5 sets of 10)

Legs
-Squat variation (aim for a 3-5 rep max)
-leg press/bulgarian/light squats (3-5 sets of 10)
-leg curls/romanian deads (3-5 sets of 10)
-2 ab exercises (3-5 sets each of 10 reps)

Pull
-bent over rows/yates rows (3-5 sets of 10)
-t-bar row/seated row (3-5 sets of 10)
-shrugs (3-5 sets of 10)
-2 bicep lifts (3-5 sets of 10 for each)

A few things I was thinking about…
-my friend mentioned that doing arms on leg day increases the effectiveness, so I was thinking of doing arms on leg day as well? like one exercise for biceps and one for triceps?
-I was thinking of dead lifts on pull day as well, thoughts?
-The only reason I have concern for arms is because mine are very stubborn and I feel like they are a weak point. Actually I’d say my back is my only strong point, but I want to make sure that my whole body gets as much work as I can afford in 3 days of 1 hour ish in the gym.

I’d appreciate any feedback!

If you’re dead set on this, I would do either pull/push/legs/rest or legs/push/pull/rest to give your lower back a rest if you did do deads or something for your posterior chain.

I was going to do like push/legs/rest/pull or something like that. since I can only lift certain days of the week.

[quote]drewdoom wrote:
I was going to do like push/legs/rest/pull or something like that. since I can only lift certain days of the week.[/quote]
Try and get 2 days of rest in between pull and legs so you can deadlift

So how would Monday - Legs, Tuesday - Push, and Thursday - Pull sound?

And as for the selection of lifts, does it look alright or are there any switches you might make?

Just a newbie, but I’ll comment because a few months back, I did something similar:
day 1- deadlifts, tabata squats
day 2- push press, pullups
day 3- clean, pullup
plus running

Yours looks more complete. I particularly like the inclusion of single leg work. If I were you, I’d stick in some chins or similar on the pull day, but that’s personal taste

I’d do them instead of the rowing variations. Like me, you’re a noob, and rows are hard to perform correctly.

Question: is it really a good idea to being doing a split at all at this level? Wouldn’t a full body routine be better suited?

What about this? http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/strength_training_the_college_edition

A program written for college kids, with a PPL scheme. And it looks a lot better to me.

Way cool. I’m tempted to follow that myself, only I don’t want to be a program hopper.

[quote]Der_Steppenwolfe wrote:
Way cool. I’m tempted to follow that myself, only I don’t want to be a program hopper.[/quote]

I’ve yet to follow it. Maybe at some point next year to see how I respond to PPL; right now, my next 4-6 training months are pretty much planned out.

It might be an idea for me, since my current program has got responses ranging from “No- and you’re retarded”, through “Why? Why would you want to clean and press exclusively for that length of time?” all the way through to “You have deep-seated emotional, psychiatric and intellectual difficulties and would do better to seek help for them.”

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
What about this? http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/strength_training_the_college_edition

A program written for college kids, with a PPL scheme. And it looks a lot better to me.[/quote]
One of my all time favorite articles