T Nation

Critique my Push/Pull/Legs Repeat Split?

Getting back into the gym after 3 months hiatus… My goals are to get as big and strong as naturally possible. Been reading a lot of hype on 2x a week frequency so thought about giving it a try . Here’s what i come up with . Big strength movements are ramped and accesory things i usually done in straight sets with same working weight.
Im also eating 1.2g of protein per lb. My main concern is that i will stall after a few weeks of following this routine.

Bench Press 3 x 5- work up to a top set in 3
DB Slight Incline Press 3 x 8- straight set
DB Shoulder Press 3 x 8 work up to a top set in 3
DB Laterals 3 x 12-straight set
One Arm Pushdowns 3 x 12-16- straight set
Cable Kickbacks 3 x 12-16 - straight set

Pull:Strength
Pendlay Row 3 x 8- work up to a top set
Wide Grip Pull down 3 x 10-straight
Close Grip Pulldowns 3 x 12-straight
BB shrugs 3 x 15-straight
Hammer Curls 3 x 10-straight
Cable Curls 3 x 15-straight

Legs:
Squat 3 x 5(ramped)
One Leg’d Press 3 x 12
Lying Leg Curls 3 x 12
Rear Delt Flys 3 x 15
Lower Back Extensions 3 x 15

rest

Push:
BB Flat 3 x 10- straight
DB Flat 3 x 12-straight
DB Shoulder Press 3 x 12-straight
DB Laterals 3 x 12-straight
Cordova Extensions 3 x 12-16-straight
Overhead Extensions 3 x 12-16-straight

Pull:
High Row 3 x 12-straight
DB Row 3 x 10-straight
Hammer Strength Row 3 x 12-straight
Rear Delt Row 3 x 12-straight
DB Curls 3 x 12-straight
Pinwheel Rope Curl 3 x 15-straight

Legs:
Bulgerian Lunges 3 x 10
Leg Extensions 3 x 15
Seated Leg Curls 3 x 12
Abs

rest

If you stall out, it’s not because of your workout routine…

It’s because of your diet and sleeping quality. Now, you said you eat… 1.2 grams. In my opinion, that’s an insane amount. Are you eating 1.2 grams daily? Or is that per minute? Either way man, 1.2 grams, WOW, you’re a beast.

So, if you are worried about stalling out, and you want to find a way to stop that from happening, you should be asking question about nutrition, vitamins, macro-nutrients, micro-nutrients, fiber intakes and actual supplementation like creatine, and how you can improve your sleep quality.

Stalling out could also be based on your form, and most likely, a combination of both.

But, in my opinion, your posted workout routine, is the least contributing factor in the equation.

So be honest, how is your sleep quality and, what, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

[quote]Canee03 wrote:

My main concern is that i will stall after a few weeks of following this program

rest[/quote]

This is NOT your main concern.

If you follow a proven program, that is in line for your goal(s), if you are consistent for the next 6 months (actually, the rest of your life), have a decent diet, get enough rest and stop worrying over minor stuff, you WILL see progress in the long term. Period.

As for your workout. It’s a push/pull/leg. I just stop reading every time someone uses the word pendlay or Kroc, etc. seriously, bent over rows. The style you use is is up to you, but unless you have the basics, well, stick to basics.

The rep scheme looks a little familiar, where did you copy this from and did you make changes?

If you stall, cut back to 3 days a week, 6 is a lot of work unless there girly weights. Outside of BBing, most big strong guys workout 3 days a week, 4 at most. I train 1on, 1off, upper lower split. I know when I walk in the gym my body is rested, and ready for heavy lifting. If you want to train 6 days a week, mabey look at lift a day program. I just see alot of volume, on alot of days of the week. 531 is the simplest, most effective strength progam, and it’s 4 days max, and somtimes 2 days a week. Whatever thats worth, Goodluck

Sorry guys i meant 1.2g of protein per bodyweight lol.I start gym on tuesday… So the way i have things set up its look like this. 3200 calories on off days and 3500 calories on workout days. Im getting 180-190 grams fo protein on a consistent bases regardless if i workout that day or not…

As for the workout. I saw youtubers channel and suggest that i do this type of split but he didnt really give me an exact program. Just basically the tools to make one…

[quote]Canee03 wrote:
Sorry guys i meant 1.2g of protein per bodyweight lol.I start gym on tuesday… So the way i have things set up its look like this. 3200 calories on off days and 3500 calories on workout days. Im getting 180-190 grams fo protein on a consistent bases regardless if i workout that day or not…
[/quote]

Gotchya, and the body-weight, does that have a unit as well?

I certainly don’t want to offend you, nor make inaccurate assumptions, but it sure does sound like you have no idea what 3200 calories means or what 3500 calories means, or why you would eat 200 calories less on a non-training day(is this truly necessary?). What does 180-190 grams of protein actually mean?

You are also implying that you count calories and macros, is that true? If so, why are you only concerned about protein? When Fat and Carbs have a huge correlation to energy levels and workout intensity(things that relate to ‘Stalling’).

Basically, take a look at the following. It will be a great beginning to understanding how nutrition, working-out, and sleeping comes together and how each can be optimized, in order to blast through plateaus and achieve more progress than most ‘subscribers’. Don’t be another guy who just says shit he heard on YouTube. It’s so cliche.

That guy(in the youtube video) learned his shit by reading some articles and doing some critical thinking, I suggest you do the same. Then there is nothing stopping you from making a workout program of your own, including a meal plan, and then selling it for $100-a-pop without explaining how it works.

Similar but better…

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/do_this_routine_instead_of_that_dumb_one?id=4404649&pageNo=0

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Similar but better…

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/do_this_routine_instead_of_that_dumb_one?id=4404649&pageNo=0[/quote]

excellent thread.

[quote]
The amount of ridulous “critique my routine” threads is getting silly. Usually how it goes is I open up one of those threads, read it, smack my palm against my forehead and then sign off.[/quote]