Critique My Program

I “developed” this program as a take-off of the Waterbury Method. I feel it is more geared towards myself and my goals (overall strength, size). I am 21 years old, six foot four inches and currently sitting at about 214 lbs and estimated 14% bodyfat. I have been training for about two and a half years.

Please feel free to offer any criticism, positive and negative. I made the program by listing all the exercises I enjoy doing, and encorporating them in a fashion to hit each body part atleast twice per week. It is based on a push/pull type of pattern, divided into two lower body days, two upper body days, and a day for beach muscles and kind of a general “fun” day. Any given 10 x 3 will be followed by three exercises that are to act mainly as antagonists to the muscle group trained with the 10 x 3.

Squat Day plus Ham Work
Row Day plus Chest Work
OFF
Speed Training and Beach Muscles
Deadlift Day plus Quad Work
Incline Bench Day plus Back Work
OFF
Restart

DAY ONE

Lower Body Day One : Push and Supplemental Pull Work : 40-50 mins
ATG Squat : 10 x 3 with 70 seconds rest

Supp. Pull
A : Good Morning : 6 x 6
B : Powercleans : 3 x 8
C : Lunges/Bulgarian Split Squats : 3 x 8

60 seconds rest
A1: Ab Wheel : 3 Sets
A2: Standing Calf Raise : 3 x 12

DAY TWO

Upper Body Day One : Pull and Supplemental Push Work : 35 : 40 mins
Barbell Row or Chest Supported Row : 10 x 3 with 70 seconds rest

Supp. Push
A : Flat BP/Decline BP : 6 x 6
B : Push Press : 3 x 8
C : Dips : 3 x 8

External Rotations : 3 x 12

DAY THREE %u2013 OFF %u2013 GPP or Light Cardio optional, Speed Training Optional

DAY FOUR

Beach Muscles, Speed Training, Whatever Day : 30 : 45 mins
::Options

8 x 3, 60 seconds rest ~50% of 1RM
:Speed Bench/Close Grip
:Speed Squat/ Parallel
:Speed Row/ Pulldown
:Speed Deadlift

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press : 6 x 6 : 70 sec rest

10 x 3, 60 seconds rest -or- 6 x 6, 70 seconds rest %u2013or- 3x8, 70 seconds rest
A1 : Barbell Curl %u2013or- Reverse Barbell Curl
A2 : Skullcrush (with Olympic Bar) %u2013or- Close Grip Bench Press

6 x 6 : Cable Crunches
-or-
3 x 12 : Cable Crunches

6 x 6 : Calf Raises
-or-
Standing Calf Raise : 3 x 12/Seated Calf Raise : 3 x 12

DAY FIVE

Lower Body Day Two : Pull and Supplemental Push Work : 35 : 45 mins
Deadlift : 10 x 3, 70 seconds rest

Supp. Push
A : Front Squat : 6 x 6
B : Hack Squat : 3 x 8
C : Overhead Squat : 3 x 8

Hanging Leg Raises/Pikes : 3 x 12

DAY SIX

Upper Body Day Two : Push and Supplemental Pull Work : 40 : 50 mins
Incline Bench : 10 x 3, 70 seconds rest

Supp. Pull Work
A : Chin Up : 6 x 6
B : Low Cable Pull (Bench Grip) : 3 x 8
C : DB Upright Row : 3 x 8

60 sec rest
A1 : Side Bends : 3 x 12
A2 : Seated Calf Raise : 3 x 12

DAY SEVEN : OFF OFF OFF

thanks for any contributions!

the boomster

wow. i just made an almost identical post before reading yours. i like the idea of a 10x3 for a big compound, and then 3x8 for the supplementals, im gonna use the same thing in my push/pull split and hope it makes up for the perceived lack of volume in the rest of my routine.

im coming from almost 2 years of a body part split, and i know im going to have a hard time making the transition to push/pull, thinking im doing enough work in each day. the compound 10x3 shoud squash that nonsense. good luck.

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:
wow. i just made an almost identical post before reading yours. i like the idea of a 10x3 for a big compound, and then 3x8 for the supplementals, im gonna use the same thing in my push/pull split and hope it makes up for the perceived lack of volume in the rest of my routine.

im coming from almost 2 years of a body part split, and i know im going to have a hard time making the transition to push/pull, thinking im doing enough work in each day. the compound 10x3 shoud squash that nonsense. good luck.[/quote]

Yea Castle, I love the 10 x 3. I’ve had great success on it with bench (in terms of size/strength). Can’t wait to try it for those 4 compound lifts. This program is, to me, a hybrid body part split but also movement based with the 10 x 3.

-Boom