T Nation

Critique My Program

This is the program I am currently using.
I am 5’5 and 140 pounds, trying to gain some more mass and muscle.

Sunday

Superset:
Barbell Squat
Barbell Bench Press - Medium Grip

Superset:
Pull Ups
Barbell Lunge

Superset:
Standing Military Press
Bent Over Barbell Row

Superset:
Triceps Pushdown
Close-Grip EZ Bar Curl

Tuesday

Barbell Deadlift

Incline Dumbbell Press

Superset:
Seated Cable Rows
Wide-Grip Lat Pull downs

Seated Dumbbell Press

Side Laterals

Superset:
Lying Triceps Press
Alternate Hammer Curl

Thursday

Chest Fl ys

Front Squat (Clean Grip)

Military Press

Barbell Row

Rear Lateral Raise

Leg Extension

Superset:
Wide-Grip Standing Barbell Curl
Dips - Triceps Version

It looks like you are overtraining. Try something with more bodypart specific workouts. You are working the whole body every day, which doesn’t allow your muscles to recover and grow.

Why not do a proven program instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Your goal is to put on more mass and muscle, use the search function on here to find a program and stick with it. I would have thought Starting Strength or 5x5 would be ideally suited to your goals and alot better than the program you posted.

I personally like madcow 5x5 and it would work wonders for ya, try it for 18 weeks (two 9 week cycles)

Will this be good enough to build mass and muscle?

Sets 3, Reps 10, 8, 6 to failure

PUSH
Squats
Chest flyes
Incline bench press
Side lateral raises
Seated military press
Triceps pushdown

PULL
Deadlift
Chin up
Barbell row
Ez bar curl
Shrugs

PUSH
Leg Extension
Chest flyes
Incline bench press
Rear lateral raises
Seated military press
Dips
Crunches

PULL
Chin up
Barbell row
Ez bar curl
Leg curl
Crunches

[quote]bodybuilding128 wrote:
Will this be good enough to build mass and muscle?

Sets 3, Reps 10, 8, 6 to failure

PUSH
Squats
Chest flyes
Incline bench press
Side lateral raises
Seated military press
Triceps pushdown

PULL
Deadlift
Chin up
Barbell row
Ez bar curl
Shrugs

PUSH
Leg Extension
Chest flyes
Incline bench press
Rear lateral raises
Seated military press
Dips
Crunches

PULL
Chin up
Barbell row
Ez bar curl
Leg curl
Crunches[/quote]

Anything is better than not training at all.

However, if you are going to go this route, a upper body push- upper body pull-legs-off schedule would be much better (or even legs–push–pull–off) than what you have posted above. I would suggest you do a proven routine though first, just to save yourself time and confusion and possibly lack of results from a badly self-designed program.

Your exercise selections are pretty good however, in both splits. You focused on the basics, and focus on hamstrings with more than just “leg curls” and back with more than just “lat pulldowns”. And you didn’t put in too many exercises per workout or too much redundancy in each workout (example–incline bench/decline bench/flat bench all in a row. That drives me NUTS). That is all very good.

Still, getting onto a proven, already available program is probably best at this stage. There is no “perfect program” in the first place, and moreover the chances of you accidentally stumbling onto this mythical perfect program while attempting to make your own at this point in your training are precisely zero.

That said, for overall mass and bodybuilding goals I much prefer an upper/lower split or a push-pull-legs split (or variation I mentioned above) in a beginner.