Critique My Program

I have been using block periodization for a little over a year now with good results thus far. Every time I begin a new training cycle I make a few changes and tweeks and maybe write in a new exercise or something just to see how it plays out. The problem with this is that, over time, my training program has changed a lot and doesn’t resemble what it once was. So, I’m posting it here to see if y’all think I have strayed too far from what it was I set off to do in the beginning when I started using block periodization and also just to get someone else’s opinion on how I have been training.

I train 4 days a week, Squat, Bench, Deadlift and OHP (sometimes I’ll do some light benching on OHP day)

-Accumulation Mesocycle (divided into hypertrophy and base strength microcycles)

-Hypertrophy Microcycle (2 weeks)
-High Volume (5x10)
-Train lift variations, not the lifts themselves
-4-5 accessory movements per training session
-Low-Moderate intensity (55%-65%)

-Base Strength Mesocycle (2 weeks)
-Moderate/High volume (5x5)
-Train lift variations
-4-5 accessory movements per training session
-Moderate intensity (65%-75%)

-Transmutation Mesocycle (divided into power and max strength microcycles)

-Power Microcycle (2 weeks)
-Moderate Volume (5x3)
-Train Competition Lifts with chains
-3-4 accessory movements per training session
-Moderate/High Intensity (75%-85%)

-Max Strength Microcycle (2 weeks)
-Low Volume (3x3)
-Train competition lifts
-2-3 accessory movements per training session
-High Intensity (85%-95%)

-Deload Week
-5x5x50% on all lifts
-Lots of active recovery work

-Realization Mesocycle (2 weeks)
-Low Volume (3x1)
-Train competition lifts
-1-2 accessory movements per training session
-Supramaximal Intensity (95%+)

-Deload Week
-5x5x50% on all lifts
-Lots of active recovery work

-Test lifts or compete

I taper the weights and volume of my accessory exercises along with my comp lifts although I never do less than 3 reps per set for my accessories during the realization phase. I try to add 10lbs to my accessory movements every training session, if I stall I reset the weight for that particular exercise by somewhere around 20%. I also do some sort of row or chin every day that I train. I really feel like my back can take a lot more punishment than other areas and I think it needs it to develop fully.

What have your results for the 4 big lifts been, over the course of the year?

I think it looks great, although i would suggest some higher reps with higher intensity also. I think doing really hard sets of 6-8 reps can really be beneficial, not just easy 10s

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
What have your results for the 4 big lifts been, over the course of the year?[/quote]

I have brought my Squat from 525 to 605, bench from 315 to 403 and deadlift from 545 to 637.5. My progress on the squat and deadlift was slowed a lot from an injury to my right hamstring. It effected my squat moreso than my deadlift. I don’t test my OHP so I’m not positive what results I’ve gotten from it other than helping with my bench.

@panzerfaust
Why Goya?

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:

What have your results for the 4 big lifts been, over the course of the year?[/quote]

I have brought my Squat from 525 to 605, bench from 315 to 403 and deadlift from 545 to 637.5. My progress on the squat and deadlift was slowed a lot from an injury to my right hamstring. It effected my squat moreso than my deadlift. I don’t test my OHP so I’m not positive what results I’ve gotten from it other than helping with my bench.[/quote]
Nice lifts, and those are pretty impressive improvements over the course of a year. Did you gain much size during this period?
I was asking as I am considering running a similar block periodization routine for 2013. Wendler is also apparently releasing a full year plan which includes Hypertrophy, Strength, Power blocks.

I’m no expert on routine design but your programming looks intelligent, and is obviously helping you make big gains. What areas were you thinking of tweaking, if any?

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
@panzerfaust
Why Goya?
[/quote]
My family is Spanish and he’s my favourite artist from that part of the world. Plus it’s a badass painting. His “Fantasy and Invention” series are uber grim.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:

I have brought my Squat from 525 to 605, bench from 315 to 403 and deadlift from 545 to 637.5. My progress on the squat and deadlift was slowed a lot from an injury to my right hamstring. It effected my squat moreso than my deadlift. I don’t test my OHP so I’m not positive what results I’ve gotten from it other than helping with my bench.[/quote]
That’s good progress. What were your body weights for when you tested those lifts?

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:

Nice lifts, and those are pretty impressive improvements over the course of a year. Did you gain much size during this period?
I was asking as I am considering running a similar block periodization routine for 2013. Wendler is also apparently releasing a full year plan which includes Hypertrophy, Strength, Power blocks.

I’m no expert on routine design but your programming looks intelligent, and is obviously helping you make big gains. What areas were you thinking of tweaking, if any?

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
@panzerfaust
Why Goya?
[/quote]
My family is Spanish and he’s my favourite artist from that part of the world. Plus it’s a badass painting. His “Fantasy and Invention” series are uber grim.[/quote]

I gained just shy of 40lbs over the course of the last year so it definitely helped me with size gains (which is ironic because before I began powerlifting I was a bodybuilder and couldn’t get any bigger to save my life). I don’t have any new tweeks in mind other than I started doing 1 pull up between each set because I can only do one at a time and would like to work up to being able to do sets of several of them. I am just curious what other people’s thoughts on this programming were. Sometimes it’s useful to get another person’s perspective on things.

I always like Goya too just because he painted things that other people wouldn’t have at that time. Saturn devouring his children is definitely a good example of that lol.

[quote]TheBlade wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:

That’s good progress. What were your body weights for when you tested those lifts?[/quote]

a year ago I was 290ish and I got up to about 330lbs. I’m on a cut now though and am back down to a little under 320