Critique My Program

Hey guys,
New to the site and just wondering if I could get a little constructive criticism on a program Iâ??ve put together and hope to run for the next 6+ weeks.
Up until now Iâ??ve been doing 5x5 style programs.

Some stats…
Male
Bodyweight: 160Ilbs
Height: 5’9

1RM:
Back Squat: 286Ilbs
Deadlift: 396Ilbs
Bench: 198Ilbs

Program…
I normally super set or pair off two exercises together.

Monday
Back Squat & Weighted Push-ups
Overhead Press & Cable Rows

Wednesday
Bench press & Weighted Hypers
SLDL & Weighted pull-ups

Friday
Deadlift & Hang Clean to Press
OH Squat & Weighted Dips

Some core work at the end of each workout.

The rep range and percentages of 1RM on all lifts are,
Week 1
12reps â?? 50%
10reps â?? 60%
8reps â?? 70%
6reps â?? 80%
Week 2
12reps â?? 55%
10reps â?? 65%
8reps â?? 75%
6reps â?? 85%
Week 3
12reps â?? 60%
10reps â?? 70%
8reps â?? 80%
6reps â?? 90%
Week 4
Deload

I don’t have any major goal in mind, other than putting on a little size. I really just want to mix up my program and get away from 5x5 for a while.

Do you guys have any critiques? How do the reps and percentages look?
Thanks in advance.

This is a pretty far cry from what I would call a bodybuilding program…

It looks pretty solid if you just want to maintain strength/flexibility and have a busy schedule. But if you’re looking for serious gains you’re going to need to put in more work than this.

In terms of your rep ranges/intensity your week one and week two seem fairly light, 12 at 50% or 10 at 60% is essentially a warm-up in terms of ramping the weight.

In terms of exercise selection, they’re pretty good but again, 3 days of whole body won’t really get you where you want to be. Look into some splits and see what would work for you.

Your numbers look pretty good for a guy who weighs 160 though, so you’ve been hittin the 5x5 pretty hard clearly - I think you’d be best to stay on programs laid out by people who know what the hell they’re talking about before trying to really design your own… Don’t make the same mistake I did. You will forever be pissed off at yourself for wasting time spinning your wheels when you could have been getting somewhere.

Also, welcome to T-Nation.

Brace for occasional flaming, don’t feed the trolls, and make sure to use the search function a bit before you post new threads… Just a few words of wisdom.

If you don’t have a major goal, this program looks fine.
I would change this up quite a bit, but that’s just me. If YOU like this, then go for it. If you want to add a ton of muscle, then I’d ask for that sort of advice.

[quote]Rumble Fish wrote:

It looks pretty solid if you just want to maintain strength/flexibility and have a busy schedule. But if you’re looking for serious gains you’re going to need to put in more work than this.

In terms of your rep ranges/intensity your week one and week two seem fairly light, 12 at 50% or 10 at 60% is essentially a warm-up in terms of ramping the weight.

In terms of exercise selection, they’re pretty good but again, 3 days of whole body won’t really get you where you want to be. Look into some splits and see what would work for you.

Your numbers look pretty good for a guy who weighs 160 though, so you’ve been hittin the 5x5 pretty hard clearly - I think you’d be best to stay on programs laid out by people who know what the hell they’re talking about before trying to really design your own… Don’t make the same mistake I did. You will forever be pissed off at yourself for wasting time spinning your wheels when you could have been getting somewhere.[/quote]

Thanks man, your reply is much appreciated.
I’ve been hitting 5x5 for over a year now and made good strength gains but my weight and size has stayed pretty much the same.
Full body programs is all I’ve ever done in the past. Maybe it’s time I looked into jumping over to splits.

In regards to the percentages, I just figured they were standard for the rep range.
I think my problem is I’m looking at gaining size with strength/power lifting eyes.
The idea of spilt training, volume and high reps just feels a little alien.

Is there a particular style program you’d recommend for someone like me crossing over into more hypertrophy style training? WSFSB maybe? (Sorry if it sounds like I’m asking to be spoon feed here)

Thanks again for the reply.

[quote]Trev2k wrote:

[quote]Rumble Fish wrote:

Your numbers look pretty good for a guy who weighs 160 though, so you’ve been hittin the 5x5 pretty hard clearly - I think you’d be best to stay on programs laid out by people who know what the hell they’re talking about before trying to really design your own… Don’t make the same mistake I did. You will forever be pissed off at yourself for wasting time spinning your wheels when you could have been getting somewhere.[/quote]

Thanks man, your reply is much appreciated.
I’ve been hitting 5x5 for over a year now and made good strength gains but my weight and size has stayed pretty much the same.
Full body programs is all I’ve ever done in the past. Maybe it’s time I looked into jumping over to splits.

In regards to the percentages, I just figured they were standard for the rep range.
I think my problem is I’m looking at gaining size with strength/power lifting eyes.
The idea of spilt training, volume and high reps just feels a little alien.

Is there a particular style program you’d recommend for someone like me crossing over into more hypertrophy style training? WSFSB maybe? (Sorry if it sounds like I’m asking to be spoon feed here)

Thanks again for the reply.
[/quote]

I know what you mean about the gaining size with strength power lifting eyes because i myself have done this for most of the time ive been lifting until very recently. Just go on a body part split and train your muscles now not just movements and also eat more, thats the reason u havent gained weight in a year.

Most of Christian Thibaudeau’s programs include movements and rep ranges that you will be familiar with so he might be one to look into.

This is probably just me being biased (I’m starting it this Monday) but I’ll say it anyhow - Beast Building might be a good program for you at this stage.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/beast_building_part_2