T Nation

Critique My Program

First time posting and just wanted some feedback on a program that I wrote. Any comments or criticisms would be appreciated. Shoulders/Legs, Back/Arms, Chest/Abs/Calves ------

Delts
a standing BB shoulder press 5x5
b1 seated lateral raise 3x12-15
b2 seated front raise 3 x12-15
b3 overhead press 3x12-15

Chest
DB floor press 4x5
Negative BP 3X5
Incline DB flye 3X15

Back
DL 3x3
BB Row 3x5
Weighted pullup 3x5
Pulldown 3x8

Legs
Squat 3x5
leg press 3x8
a1 leg curl 2x8
a2 good morning 2x8

a1 seated calf raise 3x10-10-10 drop set
a2 donkey raise 3x30-50
standing calf dropset 3x10-10-10

Arms
CGBP 3x8
rope pressdown 3x12
weighted dips 3x5
BB curl drop set 3x10-10-10
single arm cable curl 3x8

Abs/core
hanging leg raise 3x12
side plank 3x1m
med ball crunch 3x15
ax chops 2x8

How long have you been training? What have you been doing in the past? What works for you? This routine seems straight off the articles here. And while that may be fine, you may not benefit from them as you would a simpler, low-volume, program that focuses on the basics.

I have been training for about 4-5 years, past 2.5 years more seriously. It seems like I have been doing higher rep ranges (anywhere from 8-15) this year and the year before I was doing much lower rep ranges (like nothing above 5-8 reps).

With the higher reps I wanted to get more size and I did, and with the lower reps I got the strength, which was what my training goal was…with this I wanted to go from more of a hypertrophy workout to a strength one, but at he same time try and put mass on certain places, like my shoulders and calves…would these exercises and rep ranges not be what I am looking for for my goals?

I think you’ve done a good job.

change b3 to bent over raise or another exercise that targets the rear delts

I would alternate CGBP and dips OR add dips on chest day. Add another curl variation like hammer curls or db alternating.

[quote]LexPKS1850 wrote:
I have been training for about 4-5 years, past 2.5 years more seriously. It seems like I have been doing higher rep ranges (anywhere from 8-15) this year and the year before I was doing much lower rep ranges (like nothing above 5-8 reps).

With the higher reps I wanted to get more size and I did, and with the lower reps I got the strength, which was what my training goal was…with this I wanted to go from more of a hypertrophy workout to a strength one, but at he same time try and put mass on certain places, like my shoulders and calves…would these exercises and rep ranges not be what I am looking for for my goals?[/quote]

If you’re looking to gain strength, stick to lower reps. For areas you want to grow, do hypertrophy work. Your workout seems pretty solid for your goals. I’m wondering why you’re not doing flat bench though. Care to explain? My view of strength is powerlifting (Bench, Squat, Dead). So I’d say just do westside or some program like that and just add in some hypertrophy work for your delts and calves.

Well last time I did flat benching I hit a plateau, so I figured I could gain strength in that exercise by doing the DB floorpess and negative flat BP…Does that sound like a reasonable way to get around a plateau for BP? …When I start this program I wouldnt have been flat benching for about two months (not due to injury, just focusing on other things), and I am currently doing that 6-Week Back Specialization Program by John Romaniello.

EditWell last time I did flat benching I hit a plateau, so I figured I could gain strength in that exercise by doing the DB floorpess and negative flat BP…Does that sound like a reasonable way to get around a plateau for BP? …When I start this program I wouldnt have been flat benching for about two months (not due to injury, just focusing on other things), and I am currently doing that 6-Week Back Specialization Program by John Romaniello.

[quote]TisDrew wrote:

If you’re looking to gain strength, stick to lower reps.[/quote]

How low? You can’t gain strength on 8-10 reps??

Huh? I think he wants to get bigger all over.

Basis for just delts and calves??

[quote]LexPKS1850 wrote:
EditWell last time I did flat benching I hit a plateau, so I figured I could gain strength in that exercise by doing the DB floorpess and negative flat BP…Does that sound like a reasonable way to get around a plateau for BP? …When I start this program I wouldnt have been flat benching for about two months (not due to injury, just focusing on other things), and I am currently doing that 6-Week Back Specialization Program by John Romaniello.[/quote]

That’s understandable. Looking again, I would replace the negative bp with flat db press.

delts and calves I felt I needed to bring up thats why I mentioned that…felt higher reps on delts (12-15) would make them hypertrophy faster than the rep ranges I was using for every thing else.